Rifle check for deer season!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nowadays in breechloaders, about all I tote is either a 7.62x39 AR with a 1x4 scope for woods hunting, and an old tang safety M77 in .300WM for more open places.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Bobby Bigtime

Saturday is the season opener here as well. Both the 450 bushmasters are ready to go as well as everything else spent the last month checking loads.needs are pretty narrow wants are pretty wide. I love having choices to match all the types of geography available for us. Mule deer are in trouble here and their numbers are way down, whitetail are doing much better. I am looking forward to getting out there and enjoying the great outdoors with one of my many favorite rifles. Good luck and enjoy the season!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Rifle variety is the spice of hunting season...A big part of the fun, for me.
The only other "deer rifle" calibers I own is a .243 and .30-30. I do have a bolt action (Mossberg Patriot) 30-06 also. Only ever killed one deer with it.

I do have 4 ARs an 2 AKs, so I guess they could be considered "deer guns":bounce:

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I need to get me one of them Millennium tree seats. Just starting using an Alpha Outdoors seat, but I'm mostly setting up in front of trees anyway.

The new 35 Whelen CVA single-shot is on deck and hasn't been touched since it made three holes touch at 100 yards w/ 200-gr Interlocks at 358 Win velocities. Got 15 rounds loaded up with that recipe; I reckon that will last me. This would be the first deer I've kilt with something I own.

If I run into an iron sight situation (which I hope I do), the M1 is ready with some Hot-Cor 165's. The borrowed Model 70 may sit out the season this year... Dang, sounds bad when I say it like that...

Hoss

Got a new rifle. Henry single shot in 45-70. Tried to sight it in last Sunday. Got set up, and squeezed off a shot and click. Tried again, click. Tried a few more times and got a click. Took the scope off and sighted down the barrel, squeezed one off and boom. Scope was too low and the hammer was hitting the scope even thought it looked like there was clearance. Had to order some higher rings. Got the scope removed and going to try again tomorrow.
Just an FYI, the one shot I got off without the scope was really tame for a 45-70. Less felt recoil that my lever 45-70. I think I’m really going to like this rifle.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The only other "deer rifle" calibers I own is a .243 and .30-30. I do have a bolt action (Mossberg Patriot) 30-06 also. Only ever killed one deer with it.

I do have 4 ARs an 2 AKs, so I guess they could be considered "deer guns":bounce:
If you've ever read Roosevelt's African Game Trails, him and his son Kermit killed about everything in Africa with the .30/06, mostly with standard military ammo. All the plains game, plus lions, buffalo, rhinos, and elephants.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
If you've ever read Roosevelt's African Game Trails, him and his son Kermit killed about everything in Africa with the .30/06, mostly with standard military ammo. All the plains game, plus lions, buffalo, rhinos, and elephants.
I must confess, 30-06 is my favorite caliber. It kills things dead with authority.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Love my Millennium.

If you get one, go ahead and buy the chill pad, makes a world of difference in comfort.
Even better, look up the Fatboy cushion. Friends turned me on to it. It’s even easier to fall asleep in that chair.

I haven’t been in the deer woods with anything didn’t say Ruger on it in over 45 years.

Ruger#3 45/70
Ruger 77 Mountain Rifle .270
Ruger 77 All Weather .308

The .308 is all the rifle I’ll need for the hunting days I have left.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Even better, look up the Fatboy cushion. Friends turned me on to it. It’s even easier to fall asleep in that chair.

I haven’t been in the deer woods with anything didn’t say Ruger on it in over 45 years.

Ruger#3 45/70
Ruger 77 Mountain Rifle .270
Ruger 77 All Weather .308

The .308 is all the rifle I’ll need for the hunting days I have left.
Then sell me the Ruger #3, I want one!

And you can change your name to RugerAllWeather.308!!

:bounce:

Latest posts