Rome is where the heart is

olcaptain

Rome is where the heart is

I suppose that Rome, Georgia is just another little spot on the map to some but I can assure you that this town holds a very dear and special place in my heart. Each time I go there my mind drifts back to many wonderful memories of days gone by. This attitude was accentuated yesterday as I realized that it was the birthday of my high school chum Billy McClamma. Billy was 63 years old yesterday and that marked another memory for me in my long list of life changing milestones.

About this time 45 years ago Billy and I were preparing to graduate from Andrew Jackson Senior High School in Jacksonville, Florida. He was 18 and I was still 17 years of age. I had gotten some letters from Berry College concerning playing basketball there and wanted to check it out. Without going into detail Billy and I both got permission to drive to Berry (by ourselves) and go see what this concept called "college" was all about. The year was 1970. The car was a 1960 Chevy and we were 400 miles from Rome. Little did I know that in 3 years after entering Martha Berry's "Gate of Opportunity" that I would marry Ramona Gifford of Atlanta. I had no idea at the time that in four years I would graduate and Ramona and I would begin our teaching careers that would span over the next 30 plus years and that this summer we would be celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary. To make this memory even sweeter, Billy and I talked briefly on the phone yesterday and for a moment we were in that 1960 Chevy once again.

But (change of direction) yesterday's tale was centered around a window and not necessarily a gate of opportunity. My trip yesterday was not to pursue an education or a wife. It was to pursue my passion for rivers, friends, fishing and fun. How did things pan out? I thought you'd never ask..........

Our initial plan was for Tim "Cool Dad" Gill, Maximus Relaximus (The Ultimate Carp Hound) and this Ol Captain to depart from my place around 5:30AM. That would give us some "Bo Time" as well as putting us in the river in Rome around 7:00 AM.

If you've never paddled on the Coosa/Oostanaula at sunrise you have missed an education in itself....

DSCF0002_zpsyrrroa47.jpg

DSCF0007_zpssokcrki7.jpg

DSCF0009_zpsdbmia8qm.jpg

DSCF0012_zpsbrs1fw6k.jpg

We knew we would have guests today and our list included Cool Dad's son, RT Gill and a host of friends who came by on the "Roman Holiday."

DSCF0049_zpszblduobr.jpg

DSCF0050_zpsoe9honvl.jpg

DSCF0033_zpsh8nsvbir.jpg

We also had Anthony Johnson and Luke Allmon come by to share the bank with us as well. These are two fine young men who have a love for their families and a love for the river that is second to none. As always, Cool Dad ( with a Billy Graham like passion) always seeks an opportunity to share the attributes of his "Plug of Perfection."

DSCF0044_zpsik9n8wbi.jpg

Not only that but Luke had the opportunity to get an introductory course in Carpin' with the Captain 101! As the Ol Cap's pole "Lit up" Tim and I both said "Luke, grab that pole!" and just like so many times before, another Carp angler was born......

DSCF0061_zpsvtokllr1.jpg

DSCF0062_zpsparojfkw.jpg

Folks, we caught fish all day! Cool Dad was on fire! I also caught a few including a small Buffalo as well as my first EVER Black Buff!

DSCF0068_zpssvyayrcg.jpg

DSCF0071_zpsnhe4jymd.jpg

DSCF0027_zpsr89fep5q.jpg

DSCF0025_zps67abthkr.jpg

DSCF0020_zpsjsmtgq4x.jpg

DSCF0054_zpshws7oeqr.jpg

DSCF0051_zpsu8ircsch.jpg

DSCF0065_zpspodwqt39.jpg

DSCF0066_zpst4j0hcpp.jpg

DSCF0067_zpsxprdf5wg.jpg

Max licked till he grew tired and as the afternoon sun bore down we once again knew the importance of "Parasol Pull-Downs."

DSCF0069_zps2gkyyk1o.jpg

DSCF0057_zpshpuiztpu.jpg

DSCF0019_zpsvfvn5p1c.jpg

DSCF0072_zpsfgo0lkuz.jpg

As we drifted back to our put in spot I was reminded once again of a quote shared with me by a Berry College instructor. He said "Horace, don't let college interfere with your education." Now folks, I love a good book as much as the next fella but some of my best lessons have come from hands on experience. My heart was definitely in Rome, Georgia yesterday and I was blessed to have been a part of the experience.

DSCF0079_zpsbcxdftyp.jpg

DSCF0081_zpsxlhmd8xt.jpg

DSCF0038_zpscdqvniis.jpg

Thank you for joining us on our adventure!

j_seph

Loved your FB video captain. Ole Max is a natural at this

StriperrHunterr

I just love the content of these posts. I think the nom de plume "Horace Hemingway" is nigh on the horizon.

It's not about any one thing, it's the sum adventure and experience of it all and that's something sorely missing from modern day fishing for most people.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like about a perfect day of carpin'! Thanks for sharing your stories with us, I always look forward to reading.

Latest posts