Rut where you are

buckpasser

My daughter scored Sunday and my son on Monday. Both bucks were in “pre-rut” mode. Both responded to calling (that doesn’t work) too. It seems a touch later than I’m used to on my places and the plantation, but I can’t say for sure I’ve seen any proof of breeding yet. Running tracks should be the norm any day now.

hunter84

I have seen 5 differnt bucks cruising by my stand in 2 days haven't seen many doe's but I've got a big doe on camera at night with 2 bucks following her one was 30 minutes behind the second one 15 minutes later so it must be starting here in Gilmer County.

Kev

Boys, I've got to confess. I think the rut is a bunch of hooey.

I've been deer hunting 40 years. I can count on my hands the number of times I've seen a buck chasing a doe, or even following a doe.

Most of the bucks I've seen have been alone.
I believe bucks chase......
I don't believe in magic days when all the deer go crazy.

A buck chases and breeds when SHE says he can. Not when the calender says he can.

I think what people call "the rut" is whenever an individual doe comes into estrus.

A receptive doe = The rut
I agree with you on some of this but I have places I hunt where I see heavy rutting activity in a short period. I think a lot of it has to do with the area you hunt. A highly pressured area will have less rut activity. There are many other factors to consider but deer that get shot don’t rut near as good lol.

44magpastor

I agree with you on some of this but I have places I hunt where I see heavy rutting activity in a short period. I think a lot of it has to do with the area you hunt. A highly pressured area will have less rut activity. There are many other factors to consider but deer that get shot don’t rut near as good lol.

I absolutely believe that hunters see rutting activity. What I don't believe, is that "In West Hancock County, the rut always happenes November 10-15".

Bucks chase when they can. It doesn't happen when a day on the calendar arrives. It happens when a doe is available.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Seen some minor chasing here in Butler/Ohio counties, Kentucky, but nothing crazy. Not yet

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Next week should be good here

Mackie889

NW Brooks County. Starting to see a ramp up in buck activity. Getting multiple bucks on every trail camera now at night. Still no pics of bucks following or chasing does and very few daylight pics of bucks

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Here in Lee and worth at my place we just started seeing the big deer starting to chase Saturday night, my buddy on lease killed a big 10 Saturday behind 3 does, and lastnihjt we saw several good bucks chasing and my son shot a great buck about 20 minutes before dark . Does are a nervous wreck on pins and needles and by thereselves , gona be awesome from now and till thanksgiving !!

Attachments

• IMG_4722.jpeg
    IMG_4722.jpeg
    550.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4725.jpeg
    IMG_4725.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4746.png
    IMG_4746.png
    903.6 KB · Views: 33

Mackie889

Here in Lee and worth at my place we just started seeing the big deer starting to chase Saturday night, my buddy on lease killed a big 10 Saturday behind 3 does, and lastnihjt we saw several good bucks chasing and my son shot a great buck about 20 minutes before dark . Does are a nervous wreck on pins and needles and by thereselves , gona be awesome from now and till thanksgiving !!
Awesome … congrats! A couple of fine bucks hitting the ground. Great work!

Ace1313

The last two days in Mitchell county I have gotten four new bucks looking around for the does. Watched a youngster half heartly chase a doe and fawns Sunday morning.

Last night watched a 2.5 old 8pt walk the same younger deer 300 yards out of the field.

Saturday morning I blew a chance at a nice chocolate racked 9pt. that was just out checking things out.

Doc_Holliday23

Buck I killed Friday had been chasing but was definitely not rutted out. Neck swollen but tarsals not completely black and rank.

Trail cam pic I have shows another decent buck appearing to be chasing and had broken a brow tine fighting since a picture from a month prior.

I personally think the rut is more hyper-local than many think and, obviously effected by the weather. And I think the deer near me rut closer to Thanksgiving than Halloween.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Buck I killed Friday had been chasing but was definitely not rutted out. Neck swollen but tarsals not completely black and rank.

Trail cam pic I have shows another decent buck appearing to be chasing and had broken a brow tine fighting since a picture from a month prior.

I personally think the rut is more hyper-local than many think and, obviously effected by the weather. And I think the deer near me rut closer to Thanksgiving than Halloween.
Yep, tough to go 9 rounds in the heat

wm742

In Greensboro I've been watching them chase does since Nov 2nd.
Both of these guys were chasing. My buddy took the older one.

Attachments

• 51645981223403681791699188788644.jpg
    51645981223403681791699188788644.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1000015267.jpg
    1000015267.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 24

wm742

I usually don't worry about rut. My herd pretty much stays at a 1 to 1 ratio. So when ever I do get to hunt, I know where to go.
On the other side of the property there is a funnel where deer come in from the neighboring property when the white oaks start dropping, but besides cruising bucks, both herds stay on their respective sides.
The low hunting pressure probably has a lot to do with all the chasing activity.

I also believe that if the rut map says the most mating activity happens on the 9th, then that's the day all the bucks have a doe and are laid up with them. The hunting activity happens in the 2 weeks leading up.

Griff04

Terrell county, Sasser area. So I’m sitting in a stand as I type this…got 4 doe and probably 2.5 year old small 8 point on my feeder. He is oblivious to the doe…more worried about eating than anything else….go figure!!!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I am really confused now on when it is. Thanks.
Yours will be after Thanksgiving.
Starting to see scraps and rubs,but no bucks seen during the day.
West Grady County.1st week of Dec should be a good time to be in the woods.