Savage MSR 10 Hunter

FlipKing

I recently purchased a Savage MSR 10 Hunter in .308. I searched the internet high and low for reviews. I found a few, but mostly what I found were initial reviews on youtube, not reviews from actual users. I'm a Savage fan and after holding one at Bass Pro, I decided to take the leap. Since there isn't much on them on this site, figured I would make a thread about my thoughts, improvements, and performance.

Backstory is that I bought a DPMS G2 Hunter about 5 years ago, without seeing one in person. I bought it off reviews and specs alone. I carry it about 50% of the time I'm in the woods. It shoots close to MOA and has been nothing but reliable, but it was missing some features that I wanted. It's a tad bulky, doesn't have an adjustable stock, isn't threaded, and doesn't have a brake. After pricing these improvements, I decided it was a better decision just to buy a new gun. This led me to looking at compact AR-10s such as the Savage Hunter, and Springfield Victor.

When looking to buy the Hunter, Bass Pro has it for $1300, and its everywhere online for $1200. However, I found an "American Flag" factory version of the Hunter online for $800. The components looked similar for a much smaller price. I called Savage and asked if they were built the same as the black versions. The girl told me yes, so I ordered the flag version. I don't think she lied to me, but I think depending on when the gun is built the stock and grip could be different, and possibly the brake.

Initial Reviews: The upper and lower have very little movement between them. I was very happy with this. Savage also built an adjustable plastic screw under the pistol grip so that you can reduce movement between the 2 as needed. The grip is a hard plastic Magpul MOE that I'm not a fan of. I ordered a Hogue Overmolded grip to replace it with for $23. My DPMS has a Hogue and been very happy with it.

The adjustable stock has a little rattle in it and limited sling attachment points its a basic Magpul stock. I ordered a Magpul ACS-L stock to replace it with. The ACS-L has QD points, a small storage compartment, and lots of good reviews about no rattle. The new stock was about $80.

The safety is not ambidextrous. When I first opened the rifle, the safety was very..spongy? Wasn't as tactile as I would like. This has gotten better the more than I mess with it. I may or may not replace it.

I don't love the flag dip, and it has a few chips in it. However, it's completely acceptable to save $4-500. The trigger is a Blackhawk Blaze and it feels lighter than I expected. I don't have a scale, but its not bad. Has a little travel and then a pretty clean brake. Time will tell if that gets changed to a Gisselle.

These are just the initial thoughts. I'm going to shoot it soon with cheap ammo just to check function and make sure the adjustable gas block is good. I have a Leupold 1 piece scope mount and a Bushnell Forge 2.5x15x50(which I got for $350 and have a $100 rebate to submit) coming, and then will be able to shoot some groups. I'll post updated pics once I get the new parts installed.87176472_989695484764990_2924041626634420224_n.jpg87328528_1462094880636669_2224899303934001152_n.jpg87459838_198074661279408_1892378782644305920_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dub

Looking forward to reading your ongoing review of the rifle as you continue to get it to your liking.

Please keep the thread running with your developments.

FlipKing

First update is not a good one. Gun won't cycle. When shooting, the fired brass is getting stuck in the chamber and not ejecting. Going to look into it, and probably call Savage tomorrow. I tried adjusting the gas block both ways. I only tried one type of ammo .308 PPU, so I'll probably try better ammo to see what it does.

transfixer

First update is not a good one. Gun won't cycle. When shooting, the fired brass is getting stuck in the chamber and not ejecting. Going to look into it, and probably call Savage tomorrow. I tried adjusting the gas block both ways. I only tried one type of ammo .308 PPU, so I'll probably try better ammo to see what it does.

I'd disassemble the bolt, clean it thoroughly, and clean the chamber as well, check the extractor tension on the bolt, there should be videos showing how to do it on YT.

FlipKing

I don't think it's a bolt issue. The bolt isn't cycling because it's attached to the stuck brass. That tells me that the extractor is grabbing just as strongly as it should. You can't manually cycle the bolt once fired either. I'm having to mortar the rifle to get the stuck brass out. I'm wondering if its not a tolerance issue in the throat. Going to try the better ammo to be sure that the brass isn't too soft or something in the cheap ammo.

transfixer

Are the primers flattened out on the cases you've pushed out ? I kinda doubt its going to be ammo, it may just be a throat issue, and might be the reason someone let the rifle go, I would think Savage should take care of the problem though, I'm curious whether they are making those barrels themselves, or buying them ? They've got barrel manufacturing down pat on their bolt actions, I would think if they made the barrel it would be top notch.

FlipKing

The primers look fine, but the brass is showing some wear. Used some calipers(amateur) and there doesn't seem to be any swelling, or its minimal.

*edit I checked again and there is actually a difference in a unfired round vs these fired. A difference of about .005
87304127_1513887858759962_4383150233081610240_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jester896

Senior Clown
I would take a wooden dowel and notch it so it will grab a piece of steel wool. Oil the steel wool and chuck the dowel in a drill and clean the chamber. It looks like the rear may need the most work...I think it has finish in the chamber from looking at the brass.

FlipKing

I appreciate the input. Considering this is a brand new gun, I'm leaning toward just shipping it back to Savage for repair. I do plan to attempt to shoot a few Hornady rounds through tomorrow to see if a better ammo makes a difference, but a bad gun from the factory is disheartening.

FlipKing

Unfortunately not. Savage(and Remington apparently) require you to pay shipping to them. Would it just be easier to go to an FFL and let them handle it?

doomtrpr_z71

Unfortunately not. Savage(and Remington apparently) require you to pay shipping to them. Would it just be easier to go to an FFL and let them handle it?
Did you read that online or did you call them? Its legal for you to ship it direct to the manufacturer. I cant see them not paying to ship it back regardless of their policy on a new gun. Ruger paid to ship back a 20 year old mk77 with no issues.

FlipKing

That's the statement on their warranty page online. I plan to call tomorrow to speak with someone though.

Jester896

Senior Clown
it isn't a bad gun...had it been test fired they would have caught it before it left

don't forget to send the fired case in with it

FlipKing

True...I still love how it handles and would love to be able to run it. Hopefully they can get it fixed. Good idea on the shot brass.