Savage MSR 10 Hunter

Jester896

Senior Clown
it looks to me like it may have additional finish in the chamber...happens a lot with the Nitride type finish...it is kinda rough and sandy. My .300BLK carbine did it when I put it together. It cleaned right out with the method I described. I can see the similar striations on the case from your picture.

ChidJ

I know two people who own the MSR10. One has a hunter like yours and the other is the long range version. Both had to be sent back to the factory (one for punching holes in primers and one for a barrel nut walking out). Savage didn't give them much trouble. In both cases, it took about 3 weeks and they got their guns back and they worked fine afterwards. Sorry you also got one that needs to go back.

Edit: both guys brought it back to the store they bought it from and they dealt with the shipping and the factory shipped it back for free

FlipKing

I know two people who own the MSR10. One has a hunter like yours and the other is the long range version. Both had to be sent back to the factory (one for punching holes in primers and one for a barrel nut walking out). Savage didn't give them much trouble. In both cases, it took about 3 weeks and they got their guns back and they worked fine afterwards. Sorry you also got one that needs to go back.

Edit: both guys brought it back to the store they bought it from and they dealt with the shipping and the factory shipped it back for free

That's good to hear. I have high hopes for the rifle. Unfortunately I bought it online so I don't have the option of taking it back to the store.

transfixer

That's good to hear. I have high hopes for the rifle. Unfortunately I bought it online so I don't have the option of taking it back to the store.

Not sure how difficult sending it back would be, but its not difficult to disassemble down to the barrel, and try what Jester suggested ,,,

FlipKing

My main concern with that is voiding the warranty. If that doesn't work and Savage can tell it was attempted, then I'm left with it being my issue. If it wasn't in warranty, I'd be 100% open to trying it.

Jester896

Senior Clown
here's a thought...just do it a little bit and see if you can get it to short stroke :D
then you know you are on the right track

FlipKing

So...I called Savage and they sent a pre-paid shipping label for me to send it back without much trouble. Me being curious however, I still took some Hornady precision ammo out and fired a few rounds. It ejected 5 out of 7 shots, and the 2 were short strokes instead of jammed in the chamber. The brass does still have the same markings as the PPU, but they actually ejected. The short strokes could be chalked up to a gas adjustment.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the Hornady brass was probably harder than the PPU. Were the short strokes the first 2? Then the last 5 ejected? If so that kinda show me the chamber just needs cleaning like I suggested. I would not expect my suggestion to void any warranty and you would be up and running.

FlipKing

So after sleeping on it, I mailed the rifle back to savage. It was free to do and I have nothing to lose. If its still finnicky when I get it back, I'll probably be using your tips. No harm in letting them look it over though. When it gets back, I have a new grip, stock, scope, scope mount, and QD attachments ready to go. Hopefully a sling too. I'll get this back going with updates in about 3 weeks.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Hope everything gets up and running for you.

My next long gun with be a semi-auto .308Win.

I think I'll go with AR10 version. Looking forward to seeing your results. This Savage was on the radar....as well as one from PSA.

transfixer

Hope everything gets up and running for you.

My next long gun with be a semi-auto .308Win.

I think I'll go with AR10 version. Looking forward to seeing your results. This Savage was on the radar....as well as one from PSA.

If you have a chance handle one in person, they're a good bit heavier than an AR-15, almost every one I've seen has been built with a heavy profile barrel, I wish they would use the slimmer lightweight profile barrels, especially on ones designed for hunting, by the time you put a scope and mounts on most AR-10's you're bumping 11lbs. I don't want to tote that around in the woods all day.

FlipKing

My DPMS G2 Hunter is listed at 7.75lbs bare gun. The Savage is listed at 7.8lbs. Fully loaded my DPMS is about 9.9lbs with scope and 10rd mag(unscientific weighed by me on scale then me+gun on scale). I can say the Savage has a much smaller pofile than the DMPS. The handguard is thinner, plus adjustable stock. Carrying the DPMS has never bothered me weight-wise honestly. The Savage just feels more AR-15 size in dimensions.

doomtrpr_z71

If you have a chance handle one in person, they're a good bit heavier than an AR-15, almost every one I've seen has been built with a heavy profile barrel, I wish they would use the slimmer lightweight profile barrels, especially on ones designed for hunting, by the time you put a scope and mounts on most AR-10's you're bumping 11lbs. I don't want to tote that around in the woods all day.
Which is why I prefer hunting with my 6.8 ar15 vs my ar10.

FlipKing

Well, 6 weeks later( I did not factor in a global pandemic) I have it back. I've added the QD connect, sling, Hogue grip, and a red dot for now. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle coming for it. Only thing I didn't love about the ACS-L was that the QD attach point is not recessed at all. It sticks out a lot and is pretty ugly. For that reason, I just attached the sling at the normal point. I'll run a function check Saturday and then accuracy when the new scope comes in.

I have a Bushnell Forge that I was going to put on it, and decided it was too much scope for what I wanted to be a compact gun.

Attachments

• 93577955_227245855160230_3130807919268855808_n (2).jpg
    93577955_227245855160230_3130807919268855808_n (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12