Savage MSR 10 Hunter

FlipKing

Update: I lubed the crap out of it and ran it wet. And the gun is getting better, but still isn't right. Frustrating, but I intend to keep working the problem until hopefully it runs right. If not I got up to a year to ship it back to Savage. I adjusted the gas block to where brass was dropping at about 3oclock and was able to get close to 15 rounds through it before it malfunctioned. That's not a great accomplishment, but when I started, it was a single shot AR. lol. Seems to be doing better the more it is shot. I plan to keep throwing ammo down range each time out at the club and hopefully I get it running the right way eventually.

Also, because I am a glutton for punishment, I also ordered the Long Range version, and it has been a dream in the short time I've had it. I'd be happy to do a separate review thread if anyone is interested.

FlipKing

She finally lives! Yesterday I shot a full 20 rd may of cheap federal brass, slow, one at the time with no issue. I then mag dumped 2 10rd mags, 100% perfect cycle. Super excited about this improvement.

Reactions: Dub

creation's_cause

Good thing you were patient with your Savage. Good example of how some adjustment and break-in really helps. Good lesson for sure. Also shows there are some people on this forum that can really help each other out.

FlipKing

I still don't trust it 100%, but we are getting there. I'm still waiting on my scope/mount to come in to check the accuracy of it, but as of now I'm much happier with it. Hopefully it continues to improve. My Long Range version has been nothing but great thus far.

ChidJ

Not the OP but just the other weekend I did some accuracy testing with the MSR10 with a buddy. With both 175gn Fed GMM and 168gn Hornady Superformance we could not get it to group less than a 1.5 inch group (using a Caldwell sled shooting 5 shot groups). Not bad for the 800 bucks he spent on it but I wouldn't call it a tack driver

FlipKing

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my scope/mount combo. I've shot an additional 40rds no problem, so I'm getting to trust it. Once I get the scope done we will see how it does accuracy wise. My Long Range version certainly seems to be a sub MOA gun.