Scope on Muzzleloader

Fishin & Hunting

Put a scope on my muzzleloader yesterday. I guess it was my lucky day today since it only took me five shots to sight it in. I did bore sight it before the range.

I didn’t think about it before hand, but it sure is a pain in the backside to clean with the scope on the barrel. Can’t stick the breach in hot water anymore while I scrub out the barrel. Can’t take off the trigger assembly without extra effort since the scope is on. The barrel is hard to handle when taken off the stock since the weight of the scope on the barrel causes it to do it’s own thing.

But I sure can reach out and increase my effective range with the scope on. My bullet group at 100 yards is awesome when compared to using the fiber optic sights. I am in the age group where your eyes start to have a mind of their own on focus.

C

CARVER

Put one on my gun this year, Going this weekend to sight it in. I bore sighted it first, hope it helps.

Slug-Gunner

Use "QC" Mounts....

This problem is easily solved with the use of Leupold "QC" (Quick-Change) style mounts. People using them have reported seasonal removal/replacement with no/negligible change in POI.

One other item you'll want to get if your ML is not a "closed breech" system is to get a "scope protector" sleeve to help reduce/eliminate the accumulation of "blowback" residue on the scope itself, which some claim is a "bear" to remove from the scope without marring the scope finish.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
Get some Quick Release Rings. Steel on a Steel base. Take it off whenever you want. Put it back on and you'll be still on. Get a base that is designed so you can use your iron sights when the scope is removed, then you're back to legal everywhere. Leopold, Warne and Traditions all make steel rings with lever on the mounting screws, Don't even need a screwdriver.