Seeing things hunting

reelmn

ok I need some help here , what it is called when your in a stand and you think you see a deer or person or any thing but it is not there in stead it is a stump or a busch or a limb it is called " blind ???? " there has been post on this before and no the search doesnt bring any thing u[

Toliver

Would pareidolia be the correct term? Not sure it's exactly the same. Otherwise something looking like something else is just an optical illusion based on perspective or light reflection. I remember as a kid seeing what I thought was a deer that had bedded down in the middle of the gas line I was hunting. Thankfully, my dad teaching me not to shoot things unless I was absolutely sure of what it was kicked in. I never would have lived down shooting a rock. Even after figuring out it was a rock, it still looked just like a deer from that stand.

And I can't count how many times a folded lily pad has looked like a gator's head on the water surface.....sometimes even through binoculars.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I think anyone who's spent a fair amount of time in the woods has seen bushes, logs, rocks, limbs, and trees that just happen to resemble what we're hunting that morning. Our minds naturally try to form shapes from what we see just like you see shapes when you look up at the clouds.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I have no idea what it's called or how to help answer the op question but i'd just like to add that the same thing happened to me one morning.
I had put a blind up watching a bunch of scrapes where 2 deer trails crossed. I hunted it a few mornings later and I saw what looked like a starwars storm trooper all morning!!!!! It was actually just the way some white fungusy stuff was growning on the bottom log of a big tree. But all morning, especially after daybreak in the very dark morning that looked like a stormtrooper so much you could almost bet on it!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Would pareidolia be the correct term? Not sure it's exactly the same. Otherwise something looking like something else is just an optical illusion based on perspective or light reflection. I remember as a kid seeing what I thought was a deer that had bedded down in the middle of the gas line I was hunting. Thankfully, my dad teaching me not to shoot things unless I was absolutely sure of what it was kicked in. I never would have lived down shooting a rock. Even after figuring out it was a rock, it still looked just like a deer from that stand.

And I can't count how many times a folded lily pad has looked like a gator's head on the water surface.....sometimes even through binoculars.

This right here^^^

pareidolia
[ˌperēˈdōlēə]

NOUN
pareidolia (noun)
  1. the perception of apparently significant patterns or recognizable images, especially faces, in random or accidental arrangements of shapes and lines.
    "there could be a mysterious stone coffin on Mars, or, more likely, it's just the latest example of pareidolia"

rip18

I had the opposite problem last year.

I've got a ladder stand on an old woods road with mixed pine hardwood in front of me and an old field planted to pines 20 years ago behind me. The old fence between the woods and old field takes a turn about 70 yards from the stand. That turn is braced with H-posts. I've sat in this stand a few times as it is getting dark, and that H-post looks an awful lot like a deer (and there's another stump that resembles a gray fox).

This was the first time I'd ever sat in that stand in the morning. As it started getting light and the mist was floating through the woods, that old H-post sure looked like a deer. As I was looking in that direction, that old H-post lifted his head from the ground and shook his head to chase away a bug! It was one of the 3 nicest bucks that I've seen on that property. With two elegant steps and before I could even shoulder my rifle, he faded out of sight, leaving the H-post right where it was!

j_seph

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Your Back

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
This has happened to every hunter multiple times if they’ve done much hunting.

Last year I was sitting in a creek bottom and looking at what I thought was a tree trunk off to my left on the edge of some really thick stuff. I kept thinking, “Man that sure looks like a deer.” In a little bit the tree trunk flicked its ear. It was a six point.

But I have thought a bush or small tree was a deer several times. When you’re looking for deer lots of things can look like deer.

Wifeshusband

There's a particular type of tall, flimsy weed that is found in and near the edges of fields that has plagued me for years as darkness comes on. I can't count the number of times I have shouldered the rifle to see this "buck."

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
When it is a deer there is no mistaking and I promise it will move within a few seconds of looking at it. You might want to look at a time piece if you can’t see it clearly without a scope.

Wifeshusband

I would respectfully have to disagreed. I have, on more than one occasion, been in a staring contest with bucks that lasted more than one minute, and they didn't move a muscle, and a time piece is irrelevant with only minutes of legal shooting light left. As for binoculars, never carried 'em, as I Stonewall Jackson my deer hunts. When I shoulder my rifle and scope it, I quickly learn what I said before . . . "wishful thinking."

specialk

i've spent many hours looking at slick heads and trying to make them grow horns....hadnt worked yet....

Kev

ok I need some help here , what it is called when your in a stand and you think you see a deer or person or any thing but it is not there in stead it is a stump or a busch or a limb it is called " blind ???? " there has been post on this before and no the search doesnt bring any thing u[
Delusion or hallucinations?