Seeing things hunting

greg j

There's a particular type of tall, flimsy weed that is found in and near the edges of fields that has plagued me for years as darkness comes on. I can't count the number of times I have shouldered the rifle to see this "buck."
I think you are referring to Dog Fennel. Hate that stuff

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I think you are referring to Dog Fennel. Hate that stuff
Played golf with a fella who chewed it like tobacco. We pulled over and he got a bunch and chewed the snot out of it........said he been doin it since he was a kid. Good ole country boy who could flat out hit a golf ball too!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
But that ain’t it. I sat in a stand and the sun behind me constantly repainted the surface of the tree line on the other side of a small valley. I saw all kinds of different shapes.....a few of the, got my blood pumping but a few minutes later I was still looking at those same trees.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I carry binoculars 100% of the time. Bow or gun hunting. Many years ago I saw movement and put my rifle up to see my crosshairs centered on a man. Binoculars go on my neck now always.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I carry binoculars 100% of the time. Bow or gun hunting. Many years ago I saw movement and put my rifle up to see my crosshairs centered on a man. Binoculars go on my neck now always.
I use binoculars aswell. I can glass areas and spot deer most never see.
Used them tonite looking at deer in the yard. Grandkids took turns looking at them. There must of been 6 or 8. They where running and darting and playing. We

buckmanmike

You should never, ever put your scope on anything unless you know for a fact its your game your hunting. Too many accidents. Carry binos.

Dean

IDK either...but I have hunted with a bunch of folks that swear the little buck they killed was a 'booner' when they first saw it and killed it....and in all seriousness I do believe there is something to hunter mental fatigue after hours and hours, days and days on stand, then the deer pops out, and the hunter 'swears' the dead deer is not the deer he shot at..mind tricks.

Wifeshusband

I hunted with a guy several decades ago, who, at dark, shot what he swore and described to the rest of the hunting party, as a big buck of 8 to 10 points. After we searched for half an hour, we found it: a yearling doe, about 75 lbs. Thing about it, he was a good hunter who had been hunting 20 years. My new rule this year, and, hereafter, is to get back to the truck before it gets dark. I'm too old to be tracking and hauling things out of hades after dark thirty. Makes the wife happier, too.