j_seph

gqual--lf15387.jpg

gqual--lfshade12407.jpg

gqual--lfmargin-uplow15388.jpg

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Like others have said:
Fresh deer sign is the key.

Lots of hunters spend hours in the woods not seeing deer because there are no deer using the area.

Scout, scout and scout some more. Buck sign or droppings.

mhall11B34

So basically fins a food source and KISS (keep it simple stupid)

Jeff Phillips

Spend a day scouting, with a weapon just in case.

Don't get hung up on acorn type. Get under the oaks and find the sign of feeding deer and hogs. There will be a few favored trees, they will change over the course of the season, and may not be the same trees next year.

Burn some boot leather to find where the deer are feeding and when your sightings start to slow down repeat the process.

Ohoopee Tusker

There's a sticky at the top of the deer hunting section. It's the one with misc. Listed in the headline. Click on it and look for the natural foods thread by public land prowler. Read everything old PLP wrote and study the pics he posted.

mhall11B34

I am heading out this afternoon to scout and put everything you have told me to use. heres to hoping i find some good spots and they stay available until Saturday morning

That is one thing i do, i am usually the first in the woods and the last out, but it appears i am just not in the "right spot".

Most importantly......Hang in there man!!! I have had a few poor hunting years lately, and scouting more than ever...I only hunt wma's too (don't have the money ..and love a challenge)...on wma, getting far away from other hunters.aka burn the boot leather is key, as is find the food sourve they are currently hitting. Hardwood bottoms, and ravines near transition to pine areas are usually hottest for me down south ga..

Some good advice offered on here....take it in, use it if it helps, but most of all enjoy your time out there :) good luck..ps.
I like paulks pasture wma and sansavilla wma down south...ck em out if you get time this season.not too far from townsend I think

mhall11B34

Thanks, i think that is my biggest issue right now is that i am CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored and frustrated. With the job, the kids, and the farm hunting/ scouting time is limited. Finances are also an issue Townsend north tract is less than ten miles from my house, so its the best place to go right now.
I think if i stay along river in the flats there and find some oaks there i should be good.

660griz

Relax, enjoy your time in the woods. Spend as much time in the woods as you can.(increases chances) Remember, it is called hunting...not killing. So what if you don't see a deer. Still better than work.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Thank you Ripple, the issue is down here friendly hunters are not readily available. they all have their "honey holes" and they do not want to let any secrets out. I dont even want to hunt their spots just help, but they clam up and give you wrong info. The acorns in the flats i am looking at are short and fat.
when i sit the only thing that moves is my head, and thats either very very slowly or only when the wind blows.
This is the most friendly place i've ever found on hunting with more than enough people that are willing to give you the exact location of a deer right now. Not to mention bring you and yours down to kill one of their monster bucks. I know from experience. It just depends on your attitude.

mhall11B34

This Forum is very helpful. I am certain that there are people that would do all of that for me. but here in Long county and the people that hunt the WMA's here, that's not the case

jbp84

I hunt wma'so also. The archery only hunt is over I finally fig out toward the end to look for cover and food. I got between some pines and a strip of hardwoods and managed two does. The more I looked for this the more we seen. Two Sundays ago we counted 9 deer on this wma in one day that's more deer I seen on the pvt property I have access to.
By the looks of those pics you are on to them. Stay down wind you should get a deer

mhall11B34

OK so i think i found a spot, open hard woods not far from the River with a water source and lots of acorns. There is also a lot of pig activity. I know the deer are there, i sat in there last night and 3 separate blow and goes as i call them. Here is some other vegetable matter i am not certain what they are and google reverse search is not helping thoughts?

Attachments

• NCM_0583.jpg
    NCM_0583.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 254
  • NCM_0584.jpg
    NCM_0584.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 242
  • NCM_0585.jpg
    NCM_0585.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 222
  • NCM_0598.jpg
    NCM_0598.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 222

Brian Groce

Quit worrying about what you're wearing and what equipment you're toting is the first thing to do if you want to kill deer. Your camo pattern, scent stuff, and all that has not a durn thing to do with seeing and killing deer. Find The Deer and hunt where they are. That is all that matters. This time of year with acorns falling like rain, that's not gonna be out in a rye grass field. Find white oaks that are dropping acorns with fresh sign of deer feeding under them. Hunt there. Set up downwind of those feeding oaks, and you can kill deer in jeans and a pink achy-breaky heart tshirt while wearing Hai-Karate aftershave and sitting on a five-gallon bucket on the ground. If you don't hunt where the deer are, you won't kill deer. Just because booyah man on the tv always kills deer on a food plot, doesn't mean that the deer here watch tv to see how they should act.
That made me chuckle!
You figured it out. "Your brain is getting in the way"

308-MIKE

Do a search on a trad bow hunter named Warren Womack. Another trad bow hunter Chris Spikes did a long and excellent thread on Mr. Womack, with his permission. He shares his hunting experiences and anecdotes he's picked up over his long hunting history. I saved it to my computer and enjoy reading it a couple times a year. A lot of great info.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Relax, enjoy your time in the woods. Spend as much time in the woods as you can.(increases chances) Remember, it is called hunting...not killing. So what if you don't see a deer. Still better than work.

It can't be said too many times! ^

OK so i think i found a spot, open hard woods not far from the River with a water source and lots of acorns. There is also a lot of pig activity. I know the deer are there, i sat in there last night and 3 separate blow and goes as i call them. Here is some other vegetable matter i am not certain what they are and google reverse search is not helping thoughts?

The first one is a white oak acorn. The last two look like Chestnut oak acorns. If you have tracks and deer scat that's a good place to set up. The hogs may be a problem, maybe not.

mhall11B34

Thank you all for the help! I went and sat last night, face to the wind. I had three separate snorts and blow aways where the deer ran off and blew up the woods while doing it. ( i call em blow and goes) Lots of Plametto bush surrounding it. Clearly my lack of stink or something along those lines was off. Either way there are acorns galore and a water source, I will be going out saturday morning, its a lower lying area so hopefully i will have some luck!