Shopping for mountain boots.

Professor

Pretty much. I like good quality stuff. But, it begins to get ridiculous at some point. I'm kind of glad I was raised poor, because I learned that you can walk through the woods without $500 boots, and $1k worth of hi-tech britches, drawers, and jacket on, you can catch trout without a $1000 rod and a $300 reel, you can kill deer without a $1000 rifle with a $1000 scope on it, and you can butcher and process that deer yourself with a pocket knife and fillet knife. Some folks nowadays seem to think all the above is impossible.
I did a lot of woods walking before I bought the Crispis. A lot of it was in black basketball court shoes and when it was cold I wore Sears boots. It can be done, but if I had known the advantages of these boots I would have bought fewer guns and started spending the money on these boots way back then. Most of my cold weather clothes are a mix of military surplus. I don't really like camo too much, so I certainly would never have matching camo. I have really nice boots and packs because these items help lessen the strain on my body.

Professor

I think they just mostly want you to spend money.
yes, but some days they have all these things to attach things I don't have to trees, deer stands, and even to some things I don't have. the archery gear they sell also baffles me. they have gizmos that are so different from anything I have ever used that if I included them and used them I believe hunting would be a completely unfamiliar and foreign experience for me. I still find it weird that people have to qualify that they shoot a bow without sights. It should be the other way around, like "I hunt with a bow, but I am new, so I still use sights." Forgive me all you gadget hunters, but that is the way I feel. I have never used a game camera and have no interest in it. So, basically, I am an old, grumpy white guy that believes the old ways are better and the new ways, driven by the quest for profit and marketing that says "You really need this" is really changing hunting for the worse.

Sautee Ridgerunner

yes, but some days they have all these things to attach things I don't have to trees, deer stands, and even to some things I don't have. the archery gear they sell also baffles me. they have gizmos that are so different from anything I have ever used that if I included them and used them I believe hunting would be a completely unfamiliar and foreign experience for me. I still find it weird that people have to qualify that they shoot a bow without sights. It should be the other way around, like "I hunt with a bow, but I am new, so I still use sights." Forgive me all you gadget hunters, but that is the way I feel. I have never used a game camera and have no interest in it. So, basically, I am an old, grumpy white guy that believes the old ways are better and the new ways, driven by the quest for profit and marketing that says "You really need this" is really changing hunting for the worse.

I hear ya. I think those of us in the traditional community need to be more open minded though. I see guys poo pooing stuff like trad vanes, carbon limbs, etc. It’s still such a handicap that I think we are all in this same thing together. It’s weird. Guys will gap shoot or string walk but badmouth a recurve with sight pins. To me those are all the same thing.

jbogg

I hear ya. I think those of us in the traditional community need to be more open minded though. I see guys poo pooing stuff like trad vanes, carbon limbs, etc. It’s still such a handicap that I think we are all in this same thing together. It’s weird. Guys will gap shoot or string walk but badmouth a recurve with sight pins. To me those are all the same thing.

I’m glad you finally came around. I remember when you used to poo poo my Excaliber Recurve Trad Crossbow. It feels good to be on the same team. ?

Professor

the problem I have with pin sights is that people start with them and never learn to shoot instinctually. If you learn first to shoot instinctually, then you have no need for pins. It is a conundrum. To me, gap shooting is instinctual shooting. It is what someone with no experience will do when you put a bow in their hands. String walking is different I think, especially if someone is using something to measure or mark points on the string.

ddd-shooter

I choose to bow hunt with a compound all year. Does that mean I’m better than yall who pick up a rifle? Even with sights?

Hunters are always arguing with each other. Usually not for our benefit, especially when we’re measuring ourselves against each other, give me a break.

Personally, I think there are Way too many gadgets in hunting than necessary. But, if I’m gonna wear pants, I’ll wear the best I think for me. If I’m gonna wear boots, again, I’ll get what I think are best. Same thing with my unqualified compound and arrows. Same with my tree stand. Or my cold weather gear. I’m already gonna have to have it, I simply choose to buy what I consider the best for my particular situation. I remember my first jacket I bought that I thought was expensive. It was from Walmart. It was like 80$ or something. I felt guilty spending so much, because I grew up with surplus field jackets. I wouldn’t buy that “expensive“ jacket today for 10$. It’s just nice to have better clothing.
It’s not like I have an acorn cruncher in my pocket, or a butt out tool. No trail cams, no feeders, not even a fancy pack (yet) but I do have expensive clothing that I won’t replace for several more years. I’ll wear it this fall, and enjoy the mountain style of hunting ive come to love. Maybe even kill a critter or two. Guarantee I’ll give you all the tips and pointers I can if I see you out and about-whether your bow has sights, your rifle has a scope, or even if you have a deer view mirror. Lol

jbogg

I choose to bow hunt with a compound all year. Does that mean I’m better than yall who pick up a rifle? Even with sights?

Hunters are always arguing with each other. Usually not for our benefit, especially when we’re measuring ourselves against each other, give me a break.

Personally, I think there are Way too many gadgets in hunting than necessary. But, if I’m gonna wear pants, I’ll wear the best I think for me. If I’m gonna wear boots, again, I’ll get what I think are best. Same thing with my unqualified compound and arrows. Same with my tree stand. Or my cold weather gear. I’m already gonna have to have it, I simply choose to buy what I consider the best for my particular situation. I remember my first jacket I bought that I thought was expensive. It was from Walmart. It was like 80$ or something. I felt guilty spending so much, because I grew up with surplus field jackets. I wouldn’t buy that “expensive“ jacket today for 10$. It’s just nice to have better clothing.
It’s not like I have an acorn cruncher in my pocket, or a butt out tool. No trail cams, no feeders, not even a fancy pack (yet) but I do have expensive clothing that I won’t replace for several more years. I’ll wear it this fall, and enjoy the mountain style of hunting ive come to love. Maybe even kill a critter or two. Guarantee I’ll give you all the tips and pointers I can if I see you out and about-whether your bow has sights, your rifle has a scope, or even if you have a deer view mirror. Lol

Technology has made huge strides since I began hunting just over 30 years ago. The biggest game changer for me has been the improvements in clothing, including boots. I used to absolutely freeze to death when I started out wearing army surplus cotton and leather work boots.

splatek

UAEC
I can’t remember a time being too cold to hunt, but maybe with me being new and the last few seasons being mild I haven’t really experience cold in the Georgia woods. I’m prepared regardless.

ddd-shooter

I can’t remember a time being too cold to hunt, but maybe with me being new and the last few seasons being mild I haven’t really experience cold in the Georgia woods. I’m prepared regardless.
Did you hunt the mountains in December last year? We had a few doozies scattered through the month that were snowy, windy, and cold.

ddd-shooter

I’d have to check my log, but if memory serves me I think I missed those days. I remember folks talking about snow and me wanting to get up there but with a new born and a ten year old it gets tough.
Keep threatening to start a log. Really really need to do it. So many great stories to tell, and having details would be so great.