Smoked catfish

Josh B

We put coleslaw on the top and it was good. We didn't season the meat with anything other than salt.

Josh B

I did skin the 2nd time since it was the filet off a 24 pound cat. But I didn't taste any difference. When we did it whole it just fell off the bone and the skin fell off too so it's less work

greg_n_clayton

Yes Greg, just put what you want on it, BUT since it's fried and not sauteed in seasonings like regular "taco" meats you may want to add some to it. OR go easy on everything because any white fish is going to be mild and you don't want to over power it.
I personally just add a spoon or two of fresh pico and a small dab of creama. Best to just plan on a lot of toppings, but start small and add as is needed to your taste. Once you get there.. you'll know what we're raving about.
I have no idea what Pico or creama is !! I am a ........ hills person ! I am partial to flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper !!

little rascal

(Run your chain saw threw a hard wood a save the saw dust...LOL)
That sawdust has Bar Oil in it from the chain.

Brine your Catfish overnight in a very salty solution and then rinse them and pat dry and leave out on the counter and let it dry to form a pellicle. The fish will firm up a bit and smoke will adhere better. Use a low temp and then bring up the heat gradually over a few hours. Each time you add heat, blot dry and brush a Soy, Maple Syrup, ginger mixture on. It will turn a dark Mahoghany color and be awesome.

little rascal

Smoked fish tutorial old thread.
smoked fish is good

clean fish the way u like, whole skin on, filet's, butterflied, etc.
Then brine in salty water, I add brown sugar, blk pepper, thyme, allspice, etc.
Then after a good brine bath, longer is better. Take your fish out and pat dry.
Mix a 1/4 cup maple syrup, pinch of ginger, and 2 tbsp soy sauce for a basting sauce.
Start grill, put fish on indirect heat, and then every 15 minutes open grill and blot dry with paper towel and baste with maple syrple mix. Fish will flake easily when done. This is best on Salmon, Mullet, Trout etc.,(oily fishes). I have done it with white bass, hybrids, and spotted bass and it's all pretty good!
Here's some pics, the brine, the grill, and finished product.

Attachments

Josh B

My neighbor wants to smoke a carp! Said he had it over seas and liked it. Was made real salty so it went good with beer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm...interesting. Any size ya reckon ? I usually throw the filleting sized ones back.
:eek: Catfish don't get too big to be delicious, brother. Just cut everything red or yaller off of it. Steaks out of a 50 lb flathead taste like halibut or mahi.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My neighbor wants to smoke a carp! Said he had it over seas and liked it. Was made real salty so it went good with beer.
Carp is really, really strong and fishy tasting. The Ukrainian guys I work with love them, but to me, the whole fish tastes like that red streak you cut out of a striper or big catfish.

little rascal

I'll try anything once. I ate the eggs out of a crappie yesterday. Really didn't taste like anything.

I tried eggs too, didn't like! But the Milt sacs out of the male fish sauteed or fried are awesome if they are big enough!
I ate a threadfin and gizzard shad, had a post on here about.

Josh B

Once while drinking I was dared to eat a gizzard shad live. I also was dared to eat a clam out of the lake. It tasted how a minnow bucket smells. Good thing I don't drink heavy anymore.

bany

I get the evil eye when I want to smoke fish, cats or anything. Most folks clean their plate and want more. I thought a friend was gonna cry when I made her fresh walleye smoked up in Canada. She said ya gotta fry it! She still talks about how good it was!

the Lackster

I soak my fish over night in water, brown sugar, and liquid smoke. Smoke at 250 till its done "i prefer mine a little more on the dry side for making dip". I always smoke fish with apple wood and it turns out delicious. Been using that method for years and years

the Lackster

Yall gave me the itch dadgumitScreenshot_20200408-180349_Gallery.jpg

the Lackster

Threw a butt and some st loius ribs on there