So on tv today

lampern

some hunter who shot a big buck with a custom 45 caliber muzzleloading rifle at long range (not sure how long) claimed his muzzleloader could out shoot the vast majority of centerfire rifles.

Fact or fiction?

Lilly001

A lot of subjective factors involved.
But, yes, some muzzleloaders are capable of accuracy equal to or better than many center fire rifles.

BarnesAddict

They're ringing steel at a mile with the customs.
Most all the customs shoot much more accurate than the person on the trigger.
I haven't stretched mine past 600yds yet but, it shoots less than .3moa grouips.

Darkhorse

I'd say it depends on who is shooting the rifle. They don't shoot themselves someone must aim it and squeeze the trigger.
Example: 40 or so years ago most rural Georgia counties had a gun club. Mainly a rifle and pistol range, maybe skeet. The main fundraiser was often a "Deer rifle match" where a lifesize deer target was used. The internal organs were lightly outlined and a score given to key locations. The heart and brain scored 5 points with the others being less valuable. You got 5 shots. The high score wins.
So i bought a .54 Renegade and taught myself how to shoot it. I practiced nearly every day at 100 yards for months. So when the big day came I was ready. I shot sitting and my score was 23. That tied me with another shooter using a .243 so we had a shootoff. This time I shot a 24 while he shot a 22. That placed me #1 Him at #2. It was a harp pill for him to swallow.
That rifle would shoot into 3 inches at 100 yards with iron sights once I found the right load and my eyes were much younger then.
The next year the rules were amended to create a class for muzzleloaders and we never again shot against the centerfires.
I now have 2 flintlock rifles built by me. A .54 and a .40, both are dedicated hunting rifles. And both will/have shot oneholegroups at 50 yards using iron sights. I never shoot at 100 yards anymore.
So, yes it is possible to shoot those tiny groups but I haven't witnessed it being done. But I know it has been, because there are some really dead eye shooters out there shooting flintlocks.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Certainly Possible. The front stuffer is capable for sure. The largest variable for accuracy will probably be the propellant charge and how consistant it is between shots.

White Horse

Back in the 1930’s Walter Cline gathered a number of original muzzle loading rifles along with a number of modern center firing rifles, and shot each from a bench, taking great care to have the test be as objective as it could be.

The muzzle loaders were on average more accurate.

Most any rifle today is capable of being very accurate, more accurate than most shooters are capable of being.

I believe in the future you will see more open sight requirements in a lot of states in the near future because of the advancement of these muzzle-loaders.

LTFDretired

You still only get one shot and then need time for a 2nd shot with a ML. Much slower than hunting with my 30.06 Remington Bolt rifle

flconch53

Maybe his muzzleloader can.

On average, no way.
This is also true with modern guns and most people don't know what distance they are shooting. When I had my shop people used to pay me to sight in high end rifles for them and I would bet that many of them never fired a shot before they went hunting