So what do you think?

Geezer Ray

Update on barrel replacement. Amazingly 3weeks and 3 days after send my Ruger #1 to Ruger for a rebarrel, I was called and my gun was ready for pickup at my FFL. Wow, was told 6 to 8 weeks if they had a barrel in stock. 6mm, not likely in stock. Just hoping I get it back for deer season. So total shock. The gun looks factory new with the new barrel and beautiful tiger stripped wood. They shot it 3 test rounds at 50 yards with factory ammo. Took it down to BriarPatch99's and we mounted scope and shot it a few times and I am thrilled at the results. Now to reload some and tweak it in. Great over all experience dealing with Ruger. Just couldn't be happier. Also would like to thank Jester896 and BriarPatch99 for all their help in trying to save the original barrel but all well now. Love my Ruger#1.

Big7

The Oracle
Optimal twist rates are not the same in both calibers.

Unless I'm mistaken, given the barrel blanks, it's not as simple as just taking a chamber reamer to any ole' 6MM barrel.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Took it down to BriarPatch99's and we mounted scope and shot it a few times and I am thrilled at the results.

keep in mind it may pick up speed and tighten up some once it has some rounds down the pipe. Shoot it in some before you start working the load up so you don't get frustrated from it changing :).

Good to hear you are happy!

"worthless:

Last edited:

rmp

Optimal twist rates are not the same in both calibers.

Unless I'm mistaken, given the barrel blanks, it's not as simple as just taking a chamber reamer to any ole' 6MM barrel.
Big7, regarding twist rate, you can take any ole .243/6mm caliber barrel blank and chamber to any cartridge using a .243/6mm projectile but you absolutely should consider twist rate and your intentions for that barrel.
Twist rates are a variable you can use to be sure the barrel will stabilize your bullet of choice and there’s quite selection of twists.
The longer the bullet, the lower the elevation, the colder the temperature, and the slower the FPS all have a negative effect requiring more twist.

Geezer Ray

I am still up in the air about the scope I put on it. I read good reviews but just unsure of it so far. It is a Hawke, can't remember which model, 4X12X40. I want to like it but,,,

Jester896

Senior Clown
Those #1’s need a scope that compliments the look of the rifle. I don’t like that big toilet paper roll looking eye piece on a lot of the newer scopes.

your right..but I am still going to replace the 2.5-10X50 with a 3-12X56 on my High Wall if the rings will work.

rmp

Typically I’d say, a rifle is a tool. Check the aesthetics at the door but a classic needs a classic look.
? I’ve had the 2.5-8x36 in Vari-x III, VX-III, and VX-3 (some in multiples) without any problems. I’d probably look for a gloss M8 4x or 6x just to keep it simple. No surprise when you put the scope to your eye, but to each their own.