So what do you think?

Geezer Ray

I sent my Ruger #1 off to Ruger in New Hampshire yesterday. They said 6-8 weeks for rebarrel if they have a barrel in stock. My gun is a 6mm remington. They will only rebarrel in the original caliber per the serial number. Doubt they keep 6mm remington in stock, but, how hard is it to rechamber a .243 blank into the 6mm? Sure would like to be able to hunt with the gun this coming season.

marlin

Geezer, I sent a #1 in 7mag to have the barrel replaced. I was told the same thing about changing the caliber and time to repair. I think i got my gun back in two to three months. They sent a picture of the target and Ammo used when the gun was test fired. The holes were all touching, my only complaint was that the bluing wasn’t the best but sufficient. Cost was a little less than half of what I could have a local gunsmith rebarrel. On the flip side of that I could have changed to the caliber of my choice.

Jester896

Senior Clown
When it left the factory it was a 6mm and it can only be repaired as a 6mm by them from my understanding. Otherwise they would have to change all of the original ATF paperwork that was involved in the beginning. The easiest way for them, and everyone really, is to leave it the same. Less/no paperwork with the ATF is involved.

Since the 6mm case is slightly longer only, a .243 barrel should be able to be re-chambered to 6mm.

They don't polish steel like they used to before they blue it...I think that is why early on they had that nice smooth deep rich colored bluing.

BriarPatch99

If I am reading the SAAMI drawing correctly.... the .243 Winchester is 0.454" in diameter at case shoulder .... the 6 mm Remington is 0.430" in diameter at the case shoulder.... I know the 6mm has much more taper and longer than the .243 Win. ...

I guess the question is .... will the 6mm reamer cut out to the .454 at the same point as the 6mm case would have that diameter ... My opinion is no it will not ...

I will go measure a 6mm brass at the 1.599" length(.243 W shoulder length) ... I think it will be smaller in diameter at that point ....

Jester896

Senior Clown
I will go measure a 6mm brass at the 1.599" length(.243 W shoulder length) ... I think it will be smaller in diameter at that point ....

that may be the only way to be closer to sure. Otherwise you might have to set it back a little.

Jester896

Senior Clown
might want to check it when it gets back to see if it is 1:10 or 1:12. They will probably use the original twist rate as well. That may be the wait, is the twist rate of the barrel that isn't in stock.

marlin

I have a #1 6mm and it’s a 1:9. What Ammo are you going to shoot if you don’t mind me asking? I have a recipe for Sierra 85 gr hp for a starting point if you’re interested.

marlin

I tried accubonds and they would not group worth a flip. I have some NBT that I will get loaded when the sierras are gone. If you will give us an update on how the Barnes shoot when you get your gun back. I may want to try them.

Geezer Ray

I tried accubonds and they would not group worth a flip. I have some NBT that I will get loaded when the sierras are gone. If you will give us an update on how the Barnes shoot when you get your gun back. I may want to try them.

Barnes has shot great in all calibers for me, 308, 7mm08, .243. They are pricey, about 0.92 a bullet.

SC Hunter

Don't have those but I think there are some 90 gr. Hornady ELD-X out there
I found some 90 grain ELDX pretty quick. How you reckon those little jokers would perform on deer? I've never shot a deer with an eld x but I've used ELD M's and they die.

Geezer Ray

Just got the call from Ruger about my #1 and I'm still doing the Happy Dance. Only 2-4 weeks, rebarrel, refinish-(which means reblue anything that needs touch up), test firing, and shipping back to my FFL. Only $372.89 which to me is a deal. Just hope the 2-4 weeks is true.:):):)