Soybeans?

deerbandit

How heat and drought tolerant are soybeans? Also do you have to have the most perfect soil for them to grow good? Will they do well in an old select cut pine area that gets sun and shade?

hunter_58

soybeans are adapted to well drained soils medium textured soils such as sandy loam and clay loam. PH 5.8-7.0 . Always inoculate the seed. copied this out of a book . I would think full sun is best. a local seed co. should be able to tell you a lot more. I can tell you that the deer can wipe out a 1-2 acre field of young soybeans very fast. good luck

Larry Rooks

First of all, how big of an area are you gonna plant? Small soybean plots will be gone in just a few days once the deer
get on em, and you will have to replant. Getting the PH is easy enough if you put enough lime out BEFORE hand. If you are gonna use soybenas, I would reccomend atleast 5 acre plots

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Soybeans, like virtually every other crop, do best on high quality soil. One can generally make up for shortcomings in soil fertility with an effective fertilization program.

If a soil is sandy and excessively drained, it is always a poor risk when attempting to grow warm weather plots. This is less of a problem with soils which have some clay component.

Soybeans do not do well when planted under a canopy of trees, even if they have been thinned. They do best with 8 to 10 hours of sunshine per day. Chance of drought is increased when planting around pines. It is well known that trees of any species have a massive uptake of water during the growing season.

My experience with soybeans in a food plot has been disappointing. Deer will clean them up when they are but a few inches tall. They will eat them up when they are "bite sized". They seem to care less for them as the approach maturity. They will of course feed on the beans once they develop. This has been my experience with N. Ga. deer. Others are sure to give a different report since deer in other areas seem to show variation in preference.

I just happen to be a clover and chicory person.