Spot and stalk with a bow?

hogman1

just wondering if theres anyone out there who spots and stalks with a bow? I been wanting to go out and try it but none of my buddys are bowhunters.....:eek: I know right...anyhow Im lookin for a hunting buddy who hunts with a bow.
Derick

weekender

My wife and I have taken a bunch of hogs spot and stalk. It's fun for sure. Those traditional guys have us trumped though, they take it to a whole new level. These hogs were stalked.

Gregshog-GA2-16-08.jpg

Kaysboar2-28-081.jpg

GregFlahog2003.jpg

KayFlahog2003.jpg

Kayshog3-8-08GA.jpg

Last edited:

Kawaliga

Gone but not forgotten
Man, that's impressive!! Big old teefies on that boar.

georgiabow

Banned
just wondering if theres anyone out there who spots and stalks with a bow? I been wanting to go out and try it but none of my buddys are bowhunters.....:eek: I know right...anyhow Im lookin for a hunting buddy who hunts with a bow.
Derick

if you know a good place for hogs ill go with ya, only takes be about an hour to get to hinesville. i like stalking with the bow.

pnome

That's how I bowhunt for the most part. I've had 1 chance at some hogs while slipping up a creek bottom @ Pine Log.

I got to this spot along the creek where the mtn laurl was so thick I couldn't draw. Sure enough, I see 3 hogs making their way up the creek bottom towards me. It's pretty tight where I am at, so I get the great idea of backing off 20 yrds or so to where I can cross the creek. I get on the other side and wait for the pigs to come by, should have a perfect broadside.

Well, they got to the point where I had been, smelled me, and all I heard was a snort and *poof* they were gone. That's as close as I've gotten. Gotten closer with deer, but still haven't sealed the deal.

It's tough and humbling. But INTENSE!

dm/wolfskin

Got to play the wind and use what cover you have to get as close as you need for a shot. Low and tight behind the front leg elbow or just above it. Broadside or quartering away. Just go by yourself and have fun. Long bow kills and up close shots. Mike

Attachments

• feb1,06hog 002.jpg
    feb1,06hog 002.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 779
  • april,may06 007.jpg
    april,may06 007.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 787
  • sept.706pig 002.jpg
    sept.706pig 002.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 793
  • may,07pig&dillo 005.jpg
    may,07pig&dillo 005.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 791
  • febsq,piggroton08 004.jpg
    febsq,piggroton08 004.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 781
  • may30-08pig 012.jpg
    may30-08pig 012.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 779
  • pig-jan.14,2010wilkes 003.jpg
    pig-jan.14,2010wilkes 003.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 793

pnome

Got to play the wind and use what cover you have to get as close as you need for a shot. Low and tight behind the front leg elbow or just above it. Broadside or quartering away. Just go by yourself and have fun. Long bow kills and up close shots. Mike

Nice work!

Catdaddy SC

Rainy or windy days are best. Also April May and June have been good months for me stalking. I just wish I could video and stalk hunt at the same time.

hogman1

Rainy or windy days are best. Also April May and June have been good months for me stalking. I just wish I could video and stalk hunt at the same time.

come on down here and I will video for you. That would be fun.

hogman1

if you know a good place for hogs ill go with ya, only takes be about an hour to get to hinesville. i like stalking with the bow.

only place I got is fort stewart. but theres plenty of hogs here to go around.

SELFBOW

Showoff::ke:

hogman1

never hunted d13. i like to stay in the E and B areas but will occasionally venture to the F areas. Hogs are all over.

dm/wolfskin

Martin, you seem to be doing pretty good at getting close. I ain't killed one so far this year up here but I have run into a few but only in range for a gun. Mike

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I used to do that in my younger years. It was fun.

006-2.jpg

hogman1

also make sure you have a hunter ed card. the rest is just over the counter type stuff. it gets quite expensive unless your military. But I pay like 110 a year for liscenses, thats small game and big game and fishing, fort stewart permits for me and my wife both combined. so its not too bad. I think a annual hunting pass for sort stewart for a civilian is like 55 a year or something but I could be wrong.