Squirrel Hunting in Cold Weather

Mattval

I was thinking of going this morning. 33°. I have never squirrel hunted in this cold a weather. Would they be out? Or maybe better to wait till around noon?

Buford_Dawg

My experience is that cold weather keeps the squirrels in the trees layed up. We hunt with dogs some and the dog handler always wants us to start later in the AM if the Temp is below 35, we usually wait till about 8:30 or 9 to start hunting.

transfixer

I'm not a squirrel hunter really, although I do shoot one every now and then when they set off my security camera too often,,,, I have a ton of them around my house, when its this cold they don't come out till middle of the day,, some really cold days I don't see them at all .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see squirrels out right at daylight with temps in the teens here, often.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm betting the squirrels up there are a lot more used to those temps than our Ga ones are ,,, lol
Yep, probably. If they didn't come out when it was below 35*, they wouldn't eat from mid-October to early May.

transfixer

We simply don't have a lot of days below freezing around here, I'm a little north of what is considered middle ga, but still 100 miles south of the Tenn/NC line

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
N FL thin blooded squirrels get a little scarce in the high 20's low 30's too...I'll look in the morning, sposed to be 27 or so here!

Doug B.

I'm betting the squirrels up there are a lot more used to those temps than our Ga ones are ,,, lol
I live in Georgia and by the time it warms up to thirty I can usually have already killed a few. We have had frost here since October and been down in the 20's a lot of mornings. It's in the mid 20's here now.