Telling Squirrels Nut Cuttings from other animals cuttings.

Went scouting for Squirrels at a place I've never been before the other day. I saw squirrels in another area earlier so I know they were out that day. Around 10am I found the following nut cuttings on logs. Sure looks like squirrel cuttings to me, but I didn't see any squirrels in that area for hours but the weather got windy and cold. I did hear some woodpeckers around however. I wonder wondering if there is a way to know if these were squirrel cuttings or woodpecker cuttings?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.13.03 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.13.03 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.13.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.13.09 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 62
Well to answer my own question I went back today and saw some squirrels (and got one) and some deer hunters I ran into there said they hear tons of squirrels around. I also read somewhere that said birds typical split nut shells in half and don't produce "shavings" like squirrels.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You may also see tooth scrape marks on hickory nut shells and pecans.

C O

We went squirrel hunting near Clyble Jan and Feb 2023, went back Nov and Dec 2023. Have not seen but two squirrels at distance. Saw pkk look entry of next and signs but no squirrels to shoot at. Went to Oconee Forest twice since Jan 24 and saw signs but never a squirrel. Any idea? I didn’t see many while deer hunting at Piedmont in November 23.

Hillbilly stalker

Squirrels kinda follow the food source also. This time of the year, most of the sows are bred and stay close to the den. Where deer hunters saw them a month or two ago is likely to be a dry hole now. The wide open hard woods are usually not the place to find the squirrels after the leaves fall. The hawks an Owls will pick them off. The squirrels are more active in smaller timber that's kinda trashy. anywhere that's loaded with vines is always a plus. Those cuttings that are pictured are likely from a cache stored for the winter. Squirrels are thieves and rob each others stash constantly. Mite be a ground squirrels cuttings if yall have them there. If you can find some big den trees, the squirrels will uses them over and over. They likely have little ones inside tho.

TurkeyH90

Squirrels kinda follow the food source also. This time of the year, most of the sows are bred and stay close to the den. Where deer hunters saw them a month or two ago is likely to be a dry hole now. The wide open hard woods are usually not the place to find the squirrels after the leaves fall. The hawks an Owls will pick them off. The squirrels are more active in smaller timber that's kinda trashy. anywhere that's loaded with vines is always a plus. Those cuttings that are pictured are likely from a cache stored for the winter. Squirrels are thieves and rob each others stash constantly. Mite be a ground squirrels cuttings if yall have them there. If you can find some big den trees, the squirrels will uses them over and over. They likely have little ones inside tho.
I whole heartedly agree with what HS said. However, this year I've had to really search for squirrels in middle GA due to the poor water and red oak crop. Hunted in a swamp last weekend and did not do as well as some fellas that got up on the hill and found some hickory and white Oaks. Every other year they are in the swamps this time of year and may be in your area. Like he said they follow the food source.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I whole heartedly agree with what HS said. However, this year I've had to really search for squirrels in middle GA due to the poor water and red oak crop. Hunted in a swamp last weekend and did not do as well as some fellas that got up on the hill and found some hickory and white Oaks. Every other year they are in the swamps this time of year and may be in your area. Like he said they follow the food source.
Just about everybody I know is having a tougher yr compared to the last few. But it's bound to happen every so often

BBQOutdoors77

^^^This^^^