Starting my last week.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don’t feel like it is the unknown that worries me.

It is the loss of paycheck.

It is the loss of the people.

It is the loss of the ritual - 5 on and then 2 off.

I like going to work, earlier than most - drinking coffee #1 as I drive.

It is the loss of travel as I visit our shops.

To a certain degree, it is the loss of learning new technologies as we upgrade our fleet.

Again to me, it does not FEEL like the unknown that troubles me - it is the loss of the KNOWN.

Maybe…………

Then you Sir don’t need to retire. Keep on keeping on !!!!!!

Troy Butler

I remember the last Friday I walked out the door of driftmier building for the last time I looked back it felt kind of funny knowing that would last time I walked out while employed for the state.
Took about two weeks before it set in that what didn’t get done today could wait till tomorrow cause I didn’t have to report to public work for the man. I work when I want to now which is two days some weeks others maybe every day but not very often more than 3

rstallings1979

I will start my last week working for the man tomorrow.
Never hunted every day before but I'ma see how I like it. ! ::ke:
Congrats on the new chapter in your life. I feel like I could be a great retiree myself but the flip side is I am so used to being in debt and owing the bank that I am not sure I would handle waking up not owing someone.

frankwright

I had a really good job, it paid well and finally we had gotten rid of the old school supervisors and it was a good place to work.
Good pay 4 weeks of vacation and 12 holidays but when they offered me an early retirement at 55 I really didn't want to retire and did not think I could afford it.
But after nights of sitting at the table, scribbling numbers on tablets, I saw that I would have to work six more years to get what they were offering me so0 I took the early out.
I have not regretted it once in the last 21 years. I got to watch three grand Kids born and watch four of them grow almost every day.
I fished, I hunted, I shot guns, I reloaded and I still do all those things.
All the bills get paid, My Wife and I have SUV's that will probably outlive us and we go out to eat a couple of nights a week.

When my old 4X4 truck turned over 250,000 I wanted a new one but prices are crazy and I really can't afford the payment. I have an ATV or Golf cart at both my deer and Hog land and only need to get to the club on decent dirt roads so I am OK.
The only people I know that did not like retirement did not have enough hobbies?
Go Flatwoods and enjoy it!

Jim Boyd

Then you Sir don’t need to retire. Keep on keeping on !!!!!!

No, Marvin - it will be time to go.

I will be 68 and we know not the years.

I know it and I see it - and I look forward to retirement - but that does not negate all of the apprehension.

I got PLENTY of plans and projects to keep us busy.

Last edited:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I don’t feel like it is the unknown that worries me.

It is the loss of paycheck.

It is the loss of the people.

It is the loss of the ritual - 5 on and then 2 off.

I like going to work, earlier than most - drinking coffee #1 as I drive.

It is the loss of travel as I visit our shops.

To a certain degree, it is the loss of learning new technologies as we upgrade our fleet.

Again to me, it does not FEEL like the unknown that troubles me - it is the loss of the KNOWN.

Maybe…………

No maybe to it. You nailed it. :wink:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Congrats on the new chapter in your life. I feel like I could be a great retiree myself but the flip side is I am so used to being in debt and owing the bank that I am not sure I would handle waking up not owing someone.

You get used to that part quick. :biggrin2:

flatwoods

Don't fret. You will always owe someone.
My taxes are almost a house payment now.
Then there's doctors, lawyers, etc.

Big7

The Oracle
You sound a lot like me. I love my job. I'm good at what I do but it is something different every day.
Work with good people. I think about all of that.
I have lots of interests and things to do.
We will see.
I have the option to work part time and bring home quite a bit more than I do now. For that I am thankful
I will figure it out about January. :)
That's another thing I forgot to mention.
Most of my small town "friends" from high screwl are either dead or in jail.

1 or 2 through shooting or hunting clubs.

2 on here.

All the rest, since I was around 17- 18 came from work either as a coworker, client, customer or vendor. Don't see or hear from them much anymore either. Most are retired or out of state- and yes, at my age a few have passed away.

Oh yeah... There's always a few "best friends" that owe me money. NEVER see them any more. The more they owe you, the less you see of them. Those "best friends" will stab you about as quick as family at estate settlement time.
:wink:

Last edited:

bany

Well congratulations! Just stay busy doing something!
I like a few others will have to work til I can’t anymore. God willing I will semi retire soon and have more fun than work going on.

flatsmaster

Congrats FW … I’ll be 68 Nov and still at work 6 days a week though employees say I don’t work … I’m sure retirement is amazing but not for me … I can steal more time then most to go shoot some ducks or fish and hunt … maybe there right I don’t work … have lights on our arena so we rope steers at night … I no lots of people but really only get fired up to do stuff with my kids and brother
I think they all want me working :LOL:

Dan DeBord

Did carpentry work and built houses for about 40 years. Quit at 62. Will be 71 in January. Still active, two weeks ago, cut and baled hay all week. Last week, I mowed, got seed, tilled food plots, and sowed for four days. Gonna rest a few days this week. I do a little farm work to make cash trading money. Have enjoyed spending time with my wife and family so I haven't regret retiring one bit! You can stay busy if you want to, but not full time. Looking forward to another deer season. Enjoy your retirement while you can.

Triple C

Did carpentry work and built houses for about 40 years. Quit at 62. Will be 71 in January. Still active, two weeks ago, cut and baled hay all week. Last week, I mowed, got seed, tilled food plots, and sowed for four days. Gonna rest a few days this week. I do a little farm work to make cash trading money. Have enjoyed spending time with my wife and family so I haven't regret retiring one bit! You can stay busy if you want to, but not full time. Looking forward to another deer season. Enjoy your retirement while you can.
Dan DeBord for the win! Love this... I live your life in my bubble and plan on making it reality in the near future.

livetohunt

Don't fret. You will always owe someone.
My taxes are almost a house payment now.
Then there's doctors, lawyers, etc.
Don't forget health insurance. Also, a couple million in your 401k now will really decline in value over the years. Hopefully investments will continue to grow after retirement unless moved into “safe funds".

Latest posts