Starting my last week.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I'd love to help but I'm on a fixed income now!! :ROFLMAO:
Always wanted to say that.
I,ve been on the .gov dole now for 2 years.Don,t regret it.
I thought about buying kayak, but decided it would be to top heavy to not make me go swimming.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats, man! I've got a little over three years to go here. I cannot remotely conceive "missing my job." It's ok as far as jobs go, but I definitely think I can figure out something more interesting to do every day than get up at 4AM, drive an hour, spend ten hours fixing other people's problems, and drive an hour back home. :)

TarponStalker

I've been a saltwater fishing guide for the last 23 years. Last October I decided to call it quits. Although I do miss seeing the people at the dock and the customers, I do not miss having to get up early every morning no matter what. Guiding seems like a lot of fun, but when you're forced to fish every day 200 days a year to pay the bills, it can be very tiring. Well, actually, I'm not fishing. I'm taking care of others who are fishing
Just make sure you have a plan for things to do to take up your time. I had these great ideas that I was going to hunt every day during the season. For various reasons that did not happen but I did get 3-4 days a week in.
I sold my saltwater boat and bought a bass boat. Nowadays I get to fish (for fun) at least once or twice a week even though I may go by myself some days. That's fine too.

Being that, I retired at 62, it seems I have "nobody to play with". Everyone else is busy working. It is nice having the freedom to go to bed when you want to and get up when you want to. I do have another small business that I have started. That keeps me busy several days a week.
All in all, I do enjoy being semi retired, but I feel boredom, creeping up on the horizon. I've seen every episode of Gunsmoke they've put out. Maybe when my wife retires, we will be able to travel more which is what we enjoy.
When we're so used to working everyday it's a big change when suddenly you don't have to.
Good luck and congrats to you

Fishin & Hunting

Congratulations on making to retirement.

I tried it out and it was not what I wanted. I got me a part-time job that I love to go to most days. I ask that I only work two days a week, but sometimes they stretch it to three. But now I get to work with some great guys my age who are also like minded on life. And then most of my customers on the weekdays are also like minded. The weekends are a different story.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on making to retirement.

I tried it out and it was not what I wanted. I got me a part-time job that I love to go to most days. I ask that I only work two days a week, but sometimes they stretch it to three. But now I get to work with some great guys my age who are also like minded on life. And then most of my customers on the weekdays are also like minded. The weekends are a different story.
Good on you, but the only way I see going back to a part-time job after I retire is if I can't pay all my bills and absolutely have to with no other choice. I would rather work for myself. And I hate people more every day the older I get.

Pruitt1

Congrats on getting to retire. Hope you truly get to live the fun life you wish for and many years of it. I have roughly 10yrs left. I'm ready for it to. I just hope I get to make it there to retirement. Good Lord willing I will.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I can’t imagine never having to go to work. But I can imagine working just a few days a week for physical and social therapy……and doing it when I want to. Then taking a week or 3 off to hunt, maybe a month, or every other. I’d like to Go places I’ve never been to and hunt and fish.….think Midwest and west. I’ll want her to be retired too, I think. We’ll still take our separate trips like we do now. I know she’ll never hunt, but we love our fishing together and she’ll scout with me.
This is the plan, but I’ve got at least another 5-10 before I think I can retire……I have to be able to afford to play

REDMOND1858

Congrats Flat. I’m in my 30’s. Have a pretty solid career which I plan on retiring from at 55. Also have a pretty awesome part time gig that is pretty easy going and very enjoyable. I’ll do that til I die or as long as they’ll keep me. Haven’t calculated SS into my future plans. And don’t plan on it. If there’s any left when that time comes I’ll just consider it fishing money.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Congratulations.
I’ve got 10 more years to 55 then I hope to be able to retire and then homestead. I’ve missed enough life to working already. I’ll be just fine not punching a clock, dealing with the public or suffering under the willful ignorance of a City government.

Duff

That is awesome flats! Congratulations to you man! I’m jealous

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Congrats. I retired at 41 close to 12 years ago end of September, hunt and fish a lot, but still need to take a break every now and then

Last edited:

Gbr5pb

PO management actually came to me and told me I needed to go to crown road for training after I turned in paperwork and had less than a month left! I just said no if you want me to go you can drive me I’ll be sitting right here!

Mackie889

I have 27 years in the Fire Dept and was leaving at 30 but just extended. Going to use the extra drop money for a farm in GA or KY
Congrats! I have almost 25 years in the fire service … have almost 3 years in the drop and shooting for 1 more. It’s been a great career, but mentally and physically I am ready for retirement right now. I plan to use some of the drop $ to pay off my farm in Ga. Having land and a farmhouse provides many projects to keep me from getting bored!

Latest posts