Still hunting

Timberjack86

Is it possible to still hunt bears in the mountains? Do you know anybody that does it consistently with success? I walked up on a small bear squirrel hunting this morning and it got me thinking.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Is it possible to still hunt bears in the mountains? Do you know anybody that does it consistently with success? I walked up on a small bear squirrel hunting this morning and it got me thinking.
Absolutely. I believe a bear is driven by his stomach more than deer. When they are preoccupied eating, you can absolutely stalk one. But they aren't stupid.

ddd-shooter

If you're a rifle hunter, I recommend still hunting more than stand hunting for bears, unless you'd like a buck as well.

Bears are always either up a tree, or sitting on their haunches eating acorns. If you keep the wind in your favor, you'll do well. Especially near oaks-you'll likely kill in oaks near cover.

Timberjack86

Good stuff guys keep it coming! I'm trying to learn all I can. After today I feel like I may actually have a chance this year!!

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Yes. Play the wind. Especially in the early season. They are feeding heavily, they make noise, and you can hear them before you see them. However, if they wind you they’re gone before you can hear em. So, play the wind! It’s more fun than fun is fun.

Timberjack86

That's really the only way I'm interested in bear hunting. I'll sit all day for weeks on end for a deer but it's hard for me to sit more than a hour waiting on a bear.
Do you stand hunt when you find them? Say there tearing up some Whiteoaks in a thicket on a ridge?

BigBeaver

I have never bear hunted, but I'm going to this fall and I'm going to be doing it all from the ground. I can't wait to learn.

WoodlandScout82

All I do is still hunt or sit in my tree seat on the ground. My first bear walked right up a ridge to me and stepped out from behind at tree face to face at less than 10 yards. Never knew it was coming until it was right there looking at me. Needless to say, that was a loonngggg minute until it decided to turn .

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
If theres bear sign in a particular saddle I hunt. Ill be in a stand. If not ill be on the ground.

Bobby Bigtime

Here out west we primarily glass until we spot and judge then stalk. But if you do know an area is a general hot spot you absolutely can still hunt them. I tend to use a cover scent though because they all all nose and ears. skunk scent tends to work well and fresh earth is nearly as good and makes you a little more tolerable with yourself.

Latest posts