Stocking tiger trout?

lampern

What is your opinion if Georgia trying some tiger trout in streams or tailwaters?

They look like a good fly rod quarry and do not reproduce

flyrod444

NC put some in a few years back. Being they occur naturally in streams that have brook and brown spawning near one another don't see how it can harm anything. They get there name from there color not there feeding habits. To me they are closer to a brook trout than a brown.

lampern

I was mainly thinking if trout have to be stocked, they are apparently resistant to whirling disease and viruses.

Dean

Haven't come across (but haven't researched either) any biological reason not to...especially in all the 'put and take' waters. Personally, I have caught/released many trout that I thought were tiger trout (brook/brown) in the DH waters of NC/GA. May have caught a few in western waters, certainly less than southern waters, but also caught many more cut-bow hybrids, and golden trout hybrid (with rainbow or cut). My point being, they can be found in stocked and wild waters, and unless steps are going to be taken to terminate a species from a water shed and only re-introduce 1 species, then my guess is you will always find some mixing......

Concrete Pete

I was mainly thinking if trout have to be stocked, they are apparently resistant to whirling disease and viruses.

The Colorado version of the DNR is trying to breed a whirling disease resistant strain of rainbow.

OwlRNothing

Don't care either way. Some folks get all worked up over catching different species. Some get their kicks just trying to fool any old trout into thinking their fly is a bug. Or there corn is a pellet. whatever.

My only question would be: does it cost more money? If no, then fine. If yes, then why bother?

lampern

Don't care either way. Some folks get all worked up over catching different species. Some get their kicks just trying to fool any old trout into thinking their fly is a bug. Or there corn is a pellet. whatever.

My only question would be: does it cost more money? If no, then fine. If yes, then why bother?

Disease resistance/tolerance.

Has to be cheaper than destroying raceways of trout.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Disease resistance/tolerance.

Has to be cheaper than destroying raceways of trout.
I doubt if tigers are any more disease resistant than any other doughbellies.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Reason I stated no is because any late season and or possibly any holdover have to eat.How many native trout,hatches,salamanders etc will die from a stream full of big trout.
Lower Chattahoochee might be fine,but the smaller streams will suffer long term IMO....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Reason I stated no is because any late season and or possibly any holdover have to eat.How many native trout,hatches,salamanders etc will die from a stream full of big trout.
Lower Chattahoochee might be fine,but the smaller streams will suffer long term IMO....
Any stocked stream where they would be put, it's the same, regardless of whether it's rainbows, browns, brooks, or tigers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The tigers have the benefit of not reproducing.
Most stocked trout nowadays are sterile. I prefer the stocker rainbows and brooks to browns or tigers, in general. Especially on a plate.

Dean

"Tiger" trout is more in reference to the pattern on them, it is not any reference to them being a more aggressive feeder --personally I have never caught a "big" tiger trout in any DH water, or any "big" wild ones for that matter. So a water sheds carry capacity is what it is, if tiger trout are in the same waters with pure strains of specie not sure I understand how tiger trout would negatively impact available food sources at the current carry capacity.....I have fished waters with "big" trout that dominate the food sources (Bull trout, Lake trout in YNP lake for example) and those trout do prey on other native trout; could be mistaken, but just don't think the tiger trout classifies as an aggressive feeder to the detriment of other trout or food sources.

lampern

Assuming you replace, say, the number of stocked rainbow trout with the number of stocked tiger trout I agree.

For example if 100,000 10 inch rainbow trout are stocked into the Chattahoochee River and you replace 5,000 of those rainbows with tiger trout for 100,000 total but only 95,000 rainbows.

But if you stock the tiger trout on top of current numbers, you might have a problem.

Then again stocked trout are meant to be caught and kept.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"Tiger" trout is more in reference to the pattern on them, it is not any reference to them being a more aggressive feeder --personally I have never caught a "big" tiger trout in any DH water, or any "big" wild ones for that matter. So a water sheds carry capacity is what it is, if tiger trout are in the same waters with pure strains of specie not sure I understand how tiger trout would negatively impact available food sources at the current carry capacity.....I have fished waters with "big" trout that dominate the food sources (Bull trout, Lake trout in YNP lake for example) and those trout do prey on other native trout; could be mistaken, but just don't think the tiger trout classifies as an aggressive feeder to the detriment of other trout or food sources.
Yep. What couple I've caught over the years have been 12" or less. Never seen a "big" one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member