Stocking tiger trout?

flyrod444

I don’t see any difference in stocking them over other trout from hatchery. To the best of my knowledge all trout produced in NC state hatchery’s are sterile triploid. Most all private hatchery’s only produce triploid trout as well now, since they grow much quicker making them cheaper to produce. It is not a fact I’m happy about either. I remember back in the day when NC hatchery’s use to produce half wild brown fingerlings and stock them. They made for some fantastic fishing when they grew up. The put and take philosophy of NC biologist on our stocking program is lacking. They had a fish kill on Nantahala river few years back that killed a bunch of the fertile reproducing trout in it. The state and Duke restocks River with what. My guess is that it was Triploid trout from state hatchery.

lampern

What few stocked tigers I have caught and seen others catch were not bigger than other stocked trout. Smaller than a lot of the rainbows and browns, actually. Never saw one over about 11".

I'm talking about if they survive being jerked out.

As hybrids they seem to grow faster than purebred trout

Especially I would guess in a fertile tailwater like the Hooch

The days of the Hooch producing big rainbows have been over for awhile

The big trout now seem to be browns. Tiger trout are half brown

Mountain streams just don't have the fertility like a tailwater

lampern

What do you actually know about the Tailwater? If someone wanted to try Tiger trout ANYWHERE in GA in a put and take away stream you would have more takers.

Trying to screw with arguably the best Brown Trout Fishery in the South would get some negative push back. You could dump them in the head waters and probably never hear many complaints.

No the best brown trout tailwaters in the south are in Arkansas and guess what?

They are experimentally stocking some tiger trout in them.

flyrod444

A tiger trout is more like the brook trout than a brown. If anything they would make for a great forage fish for big brown to eat. They will not compete for the food in a stream more than any other stocker. I understand people not wanting stockers in wild water but in stocked water I can see zero difference in a tiger trout to a rainbow, brook, or brown. The name tiger is about the coloration not their feeding habits.

lampern

The thing is thousands of rainbow trout are still stocked into the Hooch Tailwater.

Its not managed purely as wild brown trout water.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
No the best brown trout tailwaters in the south are in Arkansas and guess what?

They are experimentally stocking some tiger trout in them.
I did say “arguably”... something you can’t argue cause you’ve never fished any of them. I have. So I can argue them. ;)

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Last edited:

WOODIE13

WV tigers

Don't know about forage fish unless they're small.

DNR are releasing them because they don't reproduce and they worry about the candy darker extinction.

The biggest was just shy of 21" if memory serves me.

Table fare they are more firm than golds or rainbow.

They hit bass plugs, Rapala, good bit more than bait if that tells you anything about their feeding habits.

FB_IMG_1620424508542.jpg20210507_125709.jpg

WOODIE13

I just can't get too excited about genetical-engineered, hatchery raised fish.

Give me a native or stream-born fish, any day.
They happen naturally as well

Robust Redhorse

I know.

But, browns in North America, usually just eat brook trout.

I believe "Fisheries Management" is, in general, a good thing for anglers, but is has created some situations that would never be tolerated by 21st Century environmental scientists and ichthyologists.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And hybrid trout that cannot reproduce make more sense than non native trout are capable of reproducing
In streams that can't support native trout, I would rather see non-sterile trout that are capable of reproducing.