Storage power?

hopper

I rent a self storage unit for work and need to get 110v power in it to charge two group 32 batteries for a small autoscrubber.
The unit has a standard light bulb on a switch. I was thinking of using thisScreenshot_20220422-133558_Chrome.jpg
It does not have three prongs so I was thinking I could then use thisScreenshot_20220422-133529_Chrome.jpg
The ground plug is supposed to be screwed into the center plate screw. Since the light bulb adapter does not have a center screw can I just run a short piece of wire to the metal building to ground it? Or something else?

Lilly001

Your success will depend on the amperage available at the outlet and the draw of the charger.
As I recall most of those circuits are 15 amp or 10 amp depending on age and wether a ground fault circuit, or not.
10 amps will not run much of a charger.
This is just my opinion based on my experience.
Im sure others on here are much closer to experts in this field.

hopper

This is a description of the charger that came with the machine if that helps.Screenshot_20220422-144156_Chrome.jpg

AceOfTheBase

450W charger ~= 4 amps at 120 VAC.
the charger efficiency is at least 50 % (guess) so that pushes the 4 amps above into 8 amps from 120 VAC light socket.

8 amps from a light socket seems iffy to me, I would watch it like a hawk while in heavy use.

Last edited:

Tight Lines

You are probably fine, as that is under a 10 amp draw...but it also depends on the circuit and what else is on it besides that light...probably also on a motion sensor so it goes off when no one is around...at least that's what I've seen in storage units...

hopper

You are probably fine, as that is under a 10 amp draw...but it also depends on the circuit and what else is on it besides that light...probably also on a motion sensor so it goes off when no one is around...at least that's what I've seen in storage units...
Thanks. The light is actually wired inside the unit with an on off switch no motion detector. Gonna just try it since the charger has protection circuit to cut off with to low or high power. I guess worst thing is I would blow a breaker somewhere.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Thanks. The light is actually wired inside the unit with an on off switch no motion detector. Gonna just try it since the charger has protection circuit to cut off with to low or high power. I guess worst thing is I would blow a breaker somewhere.

I doubt that light socket is the only light on the circuit and you don't know who has another charger or two in the unit 3 doors down. The other issue is what your rental agreement says about the use of electricity.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I doubt that light socket is the only light on the circuit and you don't know who has another charger or two in the unit 3 doors down. The other issue is what your rental agreement says about the use of electricity.

This^^^^

Unless you have access to the distribution panel, you have no idea what else is on the circuit.

hopper

Your right. I put an email in to see what my options are. Probably here back next week. My luck has never been good getting away with something ? Going to start the hunt for a unit with power.