Sugar or No Sugar? Sweet or Non-Sweet?

Tight Lines

This will probably start some arguments...I am married to a Georgia girl, and my mom and dad grew up in Texas mostly...so this informs how and what I cook...

When I make chili or cornbread, I put sugar in both...I like cornbread to be spicy with jalapeños with a little bit of sweetness too...some sweet heat. Same with my chili...cayenne and brown sugar...I don't like sweet cornbread like cake, or chili that has a lot of sweetness...just a touch.

Now for tea, I only do half-and-half or unsweet. I don't care for tea with a lot of sugar that is super sweet.

Now my wife is different...sugar should not be in cornbread or chili, but she likes her tea pretty sweet.

I'm sure most in the South are likely like my wife...how do you folks make cornbread, chili, and tea?

:)

georgia_home

Never added sugar to chili. well, maybe 1 small pinch to reduce acid a little. Same with spaghetti sauce. A small pinch. 1/4 tsp at most.

and lately, zero added sugar on most things. drinks, most foods. There’s usually enough natural sugar to be too much is some things these days. Rib rub, yeah, brown, but less then we use to use.

too much sugar in your younger days can make changes necessary in your older years.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
This will probably start some arguments...I am married to a Georgia girl, and my mom and dad grew up in Texas mostly...so this informs how and what I cook...

When I make chili or cornbread, I put sugar in both...I like cornbread to be spicy with jalapeños with a little bit of sweetness too...some sweet heat. Same with my chili...cayenne and brown sugar...I don't like sweet cornbread like cake, or chili that has a lot of sweetness...just a touch.

Now for tea, I only do half-and-half or unsweet. I don't care for tea with a lot of sugar that is super sweet.

Now my wife is different...sugar should not be in cornbread or chili, but she likes her tea pretty sweet.

I'm sure most in the South are likely like my wife...how do you folks make cornbread, chili, and tea?

:)
I'm on the wife's side on this one.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I add sugar to cornbread, tea and sketti, never chili

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cornbread: Absolutely no sugar. That would be called cake. Also, square cornbread don't taste right. It's round, baked in a cast iron skillet.
Hushpuppies: Yes. They don't taste right without it. Not enough to make them taste sweet, but just enough to enhance the flavor of the onions.
Tea: I want an inch of sugar standing in the bottom of the glass after it's absorbed as much as it can. :)
Chili: I don't make much of it, I could see a little sugar in there to complement the spiciness.

Redbow

I put just about one cup of sugar in a gallon of tea. Cornbread I want it fried no sugar added but a bit of salt. Baked cornbread, nope I would rather have none the home I grew up in never had baked cornbread.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m gonna go out on a limb here…

The Charlotte Observer is the little brother of the Al Jazeera Constitution. They have no idea what they’re talking about…
Most of the folks living in Charlotte are from up north somewhere.

WOODIE13

I doubt a starving dog would eat plain grits

I eat em with a copious amount of black pepper and a couple of fried eggs
Even tried fried polenta, still not for me

Redbow

I like a little butter in mine, pure butter not the artificial stuff.

WOODIE13

Cornbread: Absolutely no sugar. That would be called cake. Also, square cornbread don't taste right. It's round, baked in a cast iron skillet.
Hushpuppies: Yes. They don't taste right without it. Not enough to make them taste sweet, but just enough to enhance the flavor of the onions.
Tea: I want an inch of sugar standing in the bottom of the glass after it's absorbed as much as it can. :)
Chili: I don't make much of it, I could see a little sugar in there to complement the spiciness.
Square cooked in cast iron, those corner pieces are king here.

Love fried as well

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

I don't want any sugar in them. When I make grits, I start with real stone-ground grits, salt the crap out of the water, bring the water to a boil for a minute, then cut it down and simmer them for about half an hour until the water is about all absorbed or evaporated, then add a good shot of milk and let them simmer about fifteen more minutes, then stir in a chunk of butter, a handful of sharp cheddar, and a copious amount of black pepper. Good eatin'.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My dear old backwoods southern mama used to put a bunch of butter and sugar in rice. :sick:

Latest posts