Sugar or No Sugar? Sweet or Non-Sweet?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here is one sweet treat from my childhood that I about guarantee you'll like. Mama called them soaky biscuits:

Take a biscuit that's still scalding hot and fresh out of the oven, spit it open, and put a good chunk of butter in there. Put the biscuit back together until that butter melts. Then put enough sugar in there to completely soak the melted butter up, close it back up, and eat. it. Sounds weird, but it's delicious. Come to think of it, I haven't had one of those in about twenty years since I used to make them for my son when he was a kid. I used to could eat about four or five of them.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I don't want any sugar in them. When I make grits, I start with real stone-ground grits, salt the crap out of the water, bring the water to a boil for a minute, then cut it down and simmer them for about half an hour until the water is about all absorbed or evaporated, then add a good shot of milk and let them simmer about fifteen more minutes, then stir in a chunk of butter, a handful of sharp cheddar, and a copious amount of black pepper. Good eatin'.
Correct

SarahFair

I put sugar in my cornbread.
I'll put sugar in my grits too (I'll eat them with salt/pepper, cheese, etc as well)

And I don't like tea, tastes like wrung out gym socks

Sugar in spaghetti?
I've never heard of such, sounds not good.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

WOODIE13

Here is one sweet treat from my childhood that I about guarantee you'll like. Mama called them soaky biscuits:

Take a biscuit that's still scalding hot and fresh out of the oven, spit it open, and put a good chunk of butter in there. Put the biscuit back together until that butter melts. Then put enough sugar in there to completely soak the melted butter up, close it back up, and eat. it. Sounds weird, but it's delicious. Come to think of it, I haven't had one of those in about twenty years since I used to make them for my son when he was a kid. I used to could eat about four or five of them.
We used honey when we had it

WOODIE13

I put sugar in my cornbread.
I'll put sugar in my grits too (I'll eat them with salt/pepper, cheese, etc as well)

And I don't like tea, tastes like wrung out gym socks

Sugar in spaghetti?
I've never heard of such, sounds not good.
In the sauce, brings it together

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In the sauce, brings it together
Yep, sugar and salt are those mysterious ingredients that bring a lot of non-sweet savory stuff together. In most savory stuff, you're not putting enough to make it taste even vaguely sweet, and 99.9% of people would never know it was there, except that it tastes good for some reason.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Cornbread - heresy. Cornbread is corn meal, an egg and some buttermilk, period. Maybe some jalapeeners to add some zip but sugar? I'm pretty sure it's against the law.

Chili - no

Tea - I make mine without. You're free to adulterate it any way you want once I pour it in your glass. I like mine with a squeeze of lemon and just a hint of sugar.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Cornbread - heresy. Cornbread is corn meal, an egg and some buttermilk, period. Maybe some jalapeeners to add some zip but sugar? I'm pretty sure it's against the law.

Chili - no

Tea - I make mine without. You're free to adulterate it any way you want once I pour it in your glass. I like mine with a squeeze of lemon and just a hint of sugar.
Mama always put lemon in sweet tea. Sometimes when the mint came up, she would put a mint leaf in it. She didn't make it too sweet. H22's Mama made some SWEET tea.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Chili - no

Tea that wasn't brewed with sugar will never be sweet tea. It will be yankee tea with sub-par aftermarket parts. :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
On our little homestead, sugar don`t go in grits, cornbread, or much of anything other than cakes and tea. Grits get salt, pepper, plenty of butter, and sometimes cheese, sometimes a handful of chopped fresh jalapenos. Cornbread gets cracklins and sometimes jalapenos.

Sugar in my chili? I`d shoot somebody.

WOODIE13

Sorry Elfiii but NCH is right. If it ain’t brewed with sugar it ain’t sweet tea. Worthless to try n add sugar to it after it’s been in the fridge.
So hot down south yall can brew it without a stove, Sun tea

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I like mildly sweet cornbread (corn muffins), sweetened coffee and sweet tea. I drink sweet tea like it's mandatory. No sugar in grits, spaghetti or chili. I don't like anything that's too sweet, unless it's women. :bounce: I've gotten sweet tea from restaurants that Id swear had a 5 gallon bucket of sugar in it. Can't eat or drink anything too sweet.

slow motion

This will probably start some arguments...I am married to a Georgia girl, and my mom and dad grew up in Texas mostly...so this informs how and what I cook...

When I make chili or cornbread, I put sugar in both...I like cornbread to be spicy with jalapeños with a little bit of sweetness too...some sweet heat. Same with my chili...cayenne and brown sugar...I don't like sweet cornbread like cake, or chili that has a lot of sweetness...just a touch.

Now for tea, I only do half-and-half or unsweet. I don't care for tea with a lot of sugar that is super sweet.

Now my wife is different...sugar should not be in cornbread or chili, but she likes her tea pretty sweet.

I'm sure most in the South are likely like my wife...how do you folks make cornbread, chili, and tea?

:)
I won't tell Sweet Thang about the tea without sugar. If I did let's say on a good day you'd receive a look that would stunt your garden. On a bad day she might smack your jaws. The cornbread and such she'd let you by with. Oh sure she'd judge you for it and dang shore wouldn't eat it but she'd let you be.

That sounds good. Momma used to make something she called soaky. Basically it was a biscuit crumbled up in a sweet and heavily creamed cup of coffee. Probably why I like my coffee sweet and pale now.

ucfireman

Tea, sweet, 1 cup per gallon.
Chili, never have put it in but I use the prepared seasoning packs so it may be in there?
Cornbread, I like jiffy, so yes on the sweet.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I am the one that makes cornbread in this house. No Sugar in it nor in our grits. Closest thing to sugar we put in chili is dark chocolate. My wife drinks unsweetened tea and I drink just enough sugar in my tea to knock the bitter off.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Tea that wasn't brewed with sugar will never be sweet tea. It will be yankee tea with sub-par aftermarket parts. :)

Sorry Elfiii but NCH is right. If it ain’t brewed with sugar it ain’t sweet tea. Worthless to try n add sugar to it after it’s been in the fridge.

Neither one of ya no's nuthin. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: