Sugar or No Sugar? Sweet or Non-Sweet?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

Geffellz18

No sugar in muh chili-Like it on the savory side with medium spicy heat. Like all different flavor profiles too beans or no beans it matters not!
I prefer the standard cornbread in both texture and flavor-With or without jalapeños. But my wife likes it on the sweeter side and usually makes a honey cornbread. Still good to me.
Used to drink the 1 1/2-2 cup of sugar per gallon of tea growing up, but can’t drink it like that anymore. We now put 1/2 cup of monk fruit sweetener topper gallon. Plenty sweet to me and doesn’t make my teeth feel tingly like they are growing cavities in real time from the sugar!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
hardly ever use sugar....or salt for that matter.....but i love me some black pepper...
I figure if you can still tell what color it is, it ain't got enough pepper on it. :bounce:

sparky

Here is one sweet treat from my childhood that I about guarantee you'll like. Mama called them soaky biscuits:

Take a biscuit that's still scalding hot and fresh out of the oven, spit it open, and put a good chunk of butter in there. Put the biscuit back together until that butter melts. Then put enough sugar in there to completely soak the melted butter up, close it back up, and eat. it. Sounds weird, but it's delicious. Come to think of it, I haven't had one of those in about twenty years since I used to make them for my son when he was a kid. I used to could eat about four or five of them.
I've had the same in lower Alabama,chocolate gravy too !

JonathanG2013

Tea: A cup of sugar per gallon of tea.

Chili: No sugar but I guess a pinch would help with the acid in it.

Spaghetti: No Sugar

Grits: Butter with salt and pepper. No sugar

Corn Bread: No sugar. That jiffy stuff is for yankees.

Did find out that if you add a tiny bit of salt to coffee that it removes the bitterness.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
facepalm:
I can't believe we're having this conversation.
Sugar in cornbread? Jiffy will do if it's all you can get, but real homemade cornbread should not have sugar in it under any circumstances if you want to call yourself a southerner.

A little sugar or better yet, honey, in a chili recipe if that's your thing, is a personal taste. Unfortunately, I've pretty much given up all sugar for health reasons.

And a little help for those whose coffee is bitter. Put a 1/4 of a teaspoon, (in other words a heavy pinch) in with your coffee before brewing and it will cut the acid and make it much smoother.

Last edited: