Suggestions for a JD 5310 tractor

bnew17

I recently bought a JD 5310 tractor with the 542 front end loader. Tractor is 64hp and 2wd. Both back tires are filled with water. What size harrow Should i look for? Also what size bush hog? This is my first tractor and was just hoping y’all could give me some direction on sizes so i can start looking for some.

davidhelmly

I run a 4wd 5525 a day or two a week at work, we run a 7’ heavy duty Rhino mower on it and it works great!

BriarPatch99

Harrow size depends on your soil type ...

Your tractor with 14.9 x28" tires will weight aprox. 5250 lbs plus loader weight

Each tire should hold about 53/55 gallons water about 450 lbs each ...

Tractor should handle 7' lift type and 8' pull type in heavy soils...

bnew17

Harrow size depends on your soil type ...

Your tractor with 14.9 x28" tires will weight aprox. 5250 lbs plus loader weight

Each tire should hold about 53/55 gallons water about 450 lbs each ...

Tractor should handle 7' lift type and 8' pull type in heavy soils...

I believe the tires are 16.9 x 28

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
you can probably pull an 8ft bush hog in a pull type without a lot of problems. The main deterrent to that is the cost. A decent 6ft bush hog will run you 1500 to 1800 used. A used pull type 8ft will run you 5000 to 6000.

Ihunt

you can probably pull an 8ft bush hog in a pull type without a lot of problems. The main deterrent to that is the cost. A decent 6ft bush hog will run you 1500 to 1800 used. A used pull type 8ft will run you 5000 to 6000.

For that much extra, I’ll just cut a little longer. For me, there’s no way that extra 2’ is worth that much money.

uturn

I pull a set of 9’ Linebauchs with 20” disc on them with no problem, my tractor is a 48HP JD. 6’ Bushhog for mowing.

BriarPatch99

I guess the main idea is not to get a bigger harrow than your tractor can pull with out straining it ... It is easy to make another pass ...plus getting in and out of places makes easier ....

Same applies to a rotary mower ...

Last edited:

bnew17

I guess the main idea is not to get a bigger harrow than your tractor can pull with out straining it ... It is easy to make another pass ...plus getting in and out of places makes easier ....

Same applies to a rotary mower ...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My biggest plot is only .75 acres.

I vaguely remember reading here before that you want your harrow at wide as the tractor to cover the tracks from the wheels?

And I think smaller would be better for me In terms of getting in tighter places. A friend of mine has a 70 hp Kubota with a 10ft harrow and he was just complaining the other day about how tight the roads were.

Last edited:

BriarPatch99

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. My biggest plot is only .75 acres.

I vaguely remember reading here before that you want your harrow at wide as the tractor to cover the tracks from the wheels?

And I think smaller would be better for me In terms of getting in tighter places. A friend of mine has a 70 hp Kubota with a 10ft harrow and he was just complaining the other day about how tight the rods were.

My tractor(a Oliver 440) is not running at the time ....I have access to a JD5625 100 hp with 10' harrows ....but I chose to use the Ford 3600 with my 5' harrows ... Yeah it took a couple extra strips but it is a lot easier getting in the woods ....

Our soil down here is sandy -er black dirt ....harrows cut good in is even with heavy cover.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I have a 55hp, 2wd tractor and 9'9" IHC with 20" discs. In heavy clay with a little bit of moisture, it can make my tractor struggle a little.

The biggest thing, is some of my food plots are on timber company land, with trails leading to the plots. On some trails, I barely can get down, so whatever HP tractor I have or get, with timber company land, I wouldn't go any wider.

uturn

I pull a set of 9’ Linebauchs with 20” disc on them with no problem, my tractor is a 48HP JD. 6’ Bushhog for mowing.

Agreed on the width...I have nipped some bark on the 2 paths with the 9’ers!

I have a 6’er as well and it is a dream to work with for most small food plots meaning under a couple acres.

Good Luck!

bnew17

I ended up getting a 7ft Athens 55 model harrow. Its beefy and my tractor pulled it easy.

If there are any other 5310 owners out there I would be curious which gears you all mainly use to pull your harrows.