Suggestions to open BBQ Restaurant

outdoorsman52

Been a mechanic for over 30 years and want out of it. My dream is to open a BBq restaurant and have wanted to do this for years. I would like any information/suggestions on financing, license, health dept, etc. Any information small or otherwise would be helpful.

Fletch_W

Banned
Georgia is one of the toughest states to operate food service. I've looked into doing just a cart and catering, and it's multiple thousands upon thousands of dollars to do it right, that's before any overhead, and doesn't include brick and mortar location, which is thousands and thousands more. If you are lucky, in addition to working 80 hour weeks, you might start turning a profit in 5 years.

I hate to be a downer, but this is On-Topic and that's been me and my friends' experience in the business. If you ever wondered why a hamburger costs $8.... you'll figure out real quick once you own a restaurant.

thomas the redneck

i under stand where your comming from been drivin nails for 25 years and i am tired of it to but honestly in this economy it would scare the blazes out of me to start a new business
but if you do talk to some folks that do the bbq comps. be honest and tell them what you want to do and where and for the most part they will help you out with a world of info on cookers and charcoal thats what makes a good bbq

dslary

Just take a look around at all the resturants that are closing many locations or just plain going out of business. At this time, I'd say it is a very bad risk. But if you are dead set on jumping in then contact the Small Business Administration. They have programs that connect you with other small business owners, etc. that can give you some good advise. Good luck on what ever you decide to do.

Da Possum

Campfire Helper
I would not finance this deal; most independent/small restaurants fail and that means you would be on the hook for thousands of $$$$

sinclair1

Never let your dreams force you into a particular business model. I suspect half the forum would like to have a outdoor type business, but the market is saturated with folks losing money doing it.

Your opportunity is in whats needed in a particular area, not what you want to do. If you see a business op selling bras in your area, thats what you should sell, not what you want to sell.

I would also try to get into a business that will allow you to exploit the internet as well as your brick and mortar.

If you see a true need for a BBQ restaurant in an area and feel you can supply top notch food it can still work in a bad economy.....good luck

Last edited:

GoldDot40

IMO, if you're wanting to open a BBQ place, you better be DARN sure yours 'stands out'. You'll need to offer something (quality/flavor) consumers can't get at any other BBQ joint around....that would be considered competition. I'm a sucker for good BBQ and all it takes is ONE to really impress me and I won't ever go back to the others.

merc123

I'm with Bassquatch on this one. There are alot of BBQ places but few I regularly visit. Sadly Shane's Rib Shack has been some of the better BBQ in my area.

hoochfisher

Banned
I'm with Bassquatch on this one. There are alot of BBQ places but few I regularly visit. Sadly Shane's Rib Shack has been some of the better BBQ in my area.

god Merc, i feel bad for you then!

as stated, if you really want it to work, the food better stand out. there are many, many bbq joints, but few actaully have trully good food. or true bbq for that matter.

just remember what we bbq lovers look for first in a bbq joint and remember we aint looking with our eyes either. we have to smell that pit out back burning before we even see the joint before we even stop.

jonkayak

That is very sad :mad: :mad:

To the O.P. A family friend of ours started out in a food trailer like you see at the carnivals. He would set up in a parking lot where he rented the space for the weekend. He started about Friday around 4pm and then he would do it again on Saturday. He did this for about three years until his reputation got established, then he opened up a real BBQ restaurant and still uses the trailer for catering. Also the trailer can be had for pennies on the dollar on craigs list.

Last edited:

BAR308

Check out this site. Tons of info and even offer a coach or mentor... Whatever you choose, i hope it all goes as you would like.

www.Score.org

GONoob

Let me give you some hands on advice.

Restaurant equipment is CHEAP right now, there is a huge surplus. I'm talking over 60% less. I have a friend in this business that I can get you in contact with.

Plaza's are empty, they want your business. We started our business last year from USED equipment. Pennies on the dollar. Our landlord reimbursed us for ALL construction related to our business. We also got 8 months FREE rent. Luckily 8 months was enough for us to get our name out. People called us crazy when we opened up our 2nd business in the middle of a recession. Really though, now is the time.

There is a reason why business's fail, and why others succeed. If you're good at what you do, you have nothing to worry about. No guts no glory!

3ringer

That is very sad :mad: :mad:

To the O.P. A family friend of ours started out in a food trailer like you see at the carnivals. He would set up in a parking lot where he rented the space for the weekend. He started about Friday around 4pm and then he would do it again on Saturday. He did this for about three years until his reputation got established, then he opened up a real BBQ restaurant and still uses the trailer for catering. Also the trailer can be had for pennies on the dollar on drains list.

This is great advice. Easier to start small and lose a little than to start big and lose big.

3ringer

This is what makes me go back to the same Q Joint. I like to taste the smoke in the meat. I can't stand pulled bbq pork that comes so saturated with sauce that you can't taste anything but sauce. I like to pour on my own sauce to get my Q just right. And when it comes to sauce, I like to have a few choices like vinegar base, sweet sauce and hot sauce. You got to have good ribs that are smokey and tender. You must have a good Brunswick Stew. Your Baked Beans better not taste like they just came out of a can. I like beans with meat and bbq sauce in them. Don't forget the cole slaw. The tea has to be just right and not too sweet. These are the difference's to me that makes me go back again and again.

I would start out in a catering type trailer or small screen shack. Once word spreads that you have good Q , then you can grow into something bigger. Good Luck

rospaw

Let me give you some hands on advice.

Restaurant equipment is CHEAP right now, there is a huge surplus. I'm talking over 60% less. I have a friend in this business that I can get you in contact with.

Plaza's are empty, they want your business. We started our business last year from USED equipment. Pennies on the dollar. Our landlord reimbursed us for ALL construction related to our business. We also got 8 months FREE rent. Luckily 8 months was enough for us to get our name out. People called us crazy when we opened up our 2nd business in the middle of a recession. Really though, now is the time.

There is a reason why business's fail, and why others succeed. If you're good at what you do, you have nothing to worry about. No guts no glory!

He hit the nail on the head!
There are many place closed up and for rent fully stocked! Have a game plan. Sell all your toys (you won't have time for them ;) and build up as much cash as you can. Keep three month worth of operating cost for a rain day. Start small and basic and with items you/friends know are good. Flavor, price, clean and YOU meeting/greeting will bring them in and keep them coming.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Depending where you want to start a business I might suggest a small town for low overhead. A couple of guys who used to be on the bbq circuit opened a store in Mansfield a year or more ago and they seem to be doing fine. Low overhead and they opened originally just on the weekends and now have increased operation by a couple of days a week.

blues brother

Talk to Craig and Deanna at the Oink Joint in Zebulon. Tell them I told you to call. We compete against each other in BBQ contests.
They are super folks. I have not had a chance to eat at their bbq joint yet. Have heard it is real good. They have been open around 6 months now and from what I understand they are doing well. You guys should be far enough apart that they would not feel threatened by you as a competitor.
Good luck!
Mike

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Are you a good mechanic?Could you go right back to work if you failed in BBQ?I had your dream once,didn't do it.I've always been too conservative to take big risks.I'm retired on a decent retirement from a big company.There's enough to live comfortably if we don't get too crazy,and don't live too long.If I could do it over, I would own some kind of small business.I don't know how old you are and your health,but I say go for it.If you go to a smaller town you could start out cheaper,but your potential customer base wouldn't be as large either.Do your homework,talk to professionals,get a job at restaurant,see if it's really for you,and go after your dream like you're killing snakes.The years from 40 to 60 fly by,when you turn 50,work ain't as much fun as it used to be.The people that own businesses are the ones that reap the rewards, and the big headaches.

burkehunter

What I would recommend is try it out part time and see if you can get enough equipment to do the quaility you want and sell it to friends and family and use word of mouth for a little bit even if its off your front porch. The proof of whether it will work out or not will be if you can't make enough for demand. I know a guy that retired/quit his dairy business and had a dream similar to yours. He started out making it out of his home and I bought some off his front porch. A year later he built a restaurant behind his house and opened up for the weekends and makes good money and thats just a suggestion but I hope your dreams come true and maybe one day I'll come in and buy some from you.