the "Local Church"

Huntinfool

Had the opportunity to attend a "meeting" at the "local church" in Atlanta because it was a meeting after the wedding of a cousin-in-law. It was interesting to say the least.

Did a lot of research before we agreed to attend because I was concerned that I might be convinced they were a cult.

Anybody familiar with the movement? Thoughts? I have my own. But I'll reserve them for a while. I'm curious what others think.

Huntinfool

We're not joining....just were there for a wedding "meeting". Just curious what others think. There seems to be a lot of disagreement on whether it's a cult or not.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

Read alot of Nee's stuff and enjoy it. I know nothing about the church though. But since Mr. Nee is no longer with us, can you be sure it follows what he desired? As long as is follows the pattern of scripture and lifts up the name of Jesus as Lord and Savior, it should be fine though.

Huntinfool

As long as is follows the pattern of scripture and lifts up the name of Jesus as Lord and Savior, it should be fine though.

Ah....but does it?

He translated his own version of the Bible called "The Recovery". Nothing necessarily added/deleted. But the study notes outnumber the words in the Bible and he and Lee encouraged their followers to essentially read nothing but what they published.

Their Bible is called "The Recovery" because they feel that the RC Church and all Protestant denominations are tools of Satan meant to divide the Body of Christ. In fact, he referred to the RC Church as "the 'hoe' of Babylon" on many occassions.

They have their own publishing arm and have spent decades sueing other churches and publishers if they call them a cult.

Nee is consistently accused of being a Modalist (i.e. the Father became Jesus. Jesus became the HS).

All that said....they try to follow the NT model of "church". They believe that there is only one body and it should not be divided denominationally. They "meet" rather than have services. There is no pastor, just elders and they all sit around and give testimonies and sing songs at the meetings. No sermon. Just whoever is led to share shares.

It's a good intention I think. But I'm convinced that it is mis-guided at best and it's focus on "the body" is sort of creepy. They elevate the body to a status that is near God. Several times I heard the phrase "we consecrate ourselves to you AND to the Body". I think that the focus on Lee and Nee and the sort of isolation to their works is dangerous and I'm concerned at their historical attitude toward the RC Church and to other denominations.

Cult? I don't know. I've read a lot. But not enough. I got a strange "vibe" being there and so, if you were going to make me label them, I'd say yes....it's likely very cultish in nature. I do believe that they are trying very hard to follow the NT model and they are (for lack of a better term) "purists" in that regard. I'm just concerned about some of their stuff...that's the best I can put it.

centerpin fan

Nee is consistently accused of being a Modalist (i.e. the Father became Jesus. Jesus became the HS).

Thanks for the reminder. That was one specific criticism I had heard.

They ... have spent decades sueing other churches and publishers if they call them a cult.

... just like the Scientologists.

Are the members mostly Asian or is it a mix of all ethnicities?

Huntinfool

Not mostly Asian. But definitely a good number in the group. Not trying to be funny. But it probably doesn't hurt that they are very active at Tech.

Christians, in general, are probably "stranger" than most folks....these folks were "stranger" than most Christians. Very much a fringe type of feeling. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. Just kind of the vibe that was there.

I wasn't uncomfortable. But I definintely wasn't comfortable either.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Had the opportunity to attend a "meeting" at the "local church" in Atlanta because it was a meeting after the wedding of a cousin-in-law. It was interesting to say the least.

Did a lot of research before we agreed to attend because I was concerned that I might be convinced they were a cult.
Anybody familiar with the movement? Thoughts? I have my own. But I'll reserve them for a while. I'm curious what others think.

Sounds like a 'bad reputation' is in the works for them.
I don't know anything about them.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
I found a site for "The Church" in Atlanta.
But not "Local Church".

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Their website sounds very appealing.

http://www.churchinatlanta.org/index.php?cat=home

One statement on the first page includes this statement: " In order to practice the oneness of the Body with all the Christians in Atlanta, we meet as the church in Atlanta."

I like the broad reaching, borderless attitude of the statement.

Huntinfool

Thanks for the compliment !

I include myself in that...and I meant "strange" from the world's perspective. So, yes, it's a compliment of sorts!

Huntinfool

I like the broad reaching, borderless attitude of the statement.

Me too. What I don't like is the condemnation of Christians in denominations and the RC Church in statements like this...

"The Lord is not building His church in Christendom, which is composed of the apostate Roman Catholic Church and the Protestant denominations. This prophecy is being fulfilled through the Lord's recovery, in which the building of the genuine church is being accomplished."

“We do not care for Christianity, we do not care for Christendom, we do not care for the Roman Catholic Church, and we do not care for all the denominations, because in the Bible it says that the great Babylon is fallen. This is a declaration. Christianity is fallen, Christendom is fallen, Catholicism is fallen, and all the denominations are fallen. Hallelujah!”

"Do not try to be neutral. Do not try to reconcile them.... You know the denominations are wrong, yet you still remain because you are afraid of what others will say

...and they refer to the RC Church as the "(w)hore of babylon" and protestant denoms are simply children of the same and all are used as instruments of Satan.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

HF:

I have not read any such thoughts in the books I have that Mr. Nee wrote, though I only have 4 of his books.

But I will go so far as to say this, denominationalism has done more to separate the true Church of Jesus Christ than to bring it together in unity. Removing those booundaries, were it possible, would be a good thing for Christ and His message.

Of course, it is equally separating for the blatant condemnation you see in the words you quoted. That won't go very far in solving the issue either. I can see how some thought taken to their extreme can lead to the doctrines such as these apparently devoid of love.

So in the lack of no other wisdom on the subject, I suppose that the wheat and the tares will continue to grow, and Jesus will separate them at the harvest!

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Me too. What I don't like is the condemnation of Christians in denominations and the RC Church in statements like this...

...and they refer to the RC Church as the "(w)hore of babylon" and protestant denoms are simply children of the same and all are used as instruments of Satan.

The quotes that you supplied are not included on the Atlanta church's website. Since their web site seems to differ with the hard stance of the one who people credit as 'founding' this church, this church might actually differ with his stance.

The church in Atlanta seems to be seeking the 'oneness' in Christ while keeping open arms to all Christians and the adopted church they each claim.

I go along with what formula1 said. Catholicism and denominationalize is a burden we all live with and have been affected by. I applaud their wish to move beyond it.
Good luck to them, but christianity can be cruel. We all know that.