Things one must do to kill a bear

Professor

All jokes aside, I’ve tried carrying a climber on a few different packs, from a cheap milsurp Alice, to a mid price tier eberlestock, and now a lower high end Mystery Ranch, and the MR totes the weight better by miles. So sometimes you do get what you pay for. You don’t HAVE to have it to kill a bear (my second bear last year was 400 yards uphill from a road, so we elected to drag) but if you can afford some well designed items they can definitely enhance your experience and capabilities.
Yeah, Kifaru seems to be the anointed pack right now. My son's friend has one. My son is slumming it with a Mystery Ranch, actually, he loves his pack. My son said the two brands are comparable and it was just a matter of personal preference.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Couple the Plotts?
Big Tom Wilson, Holt Collier, Sam Hunnicutt, Turkey George Palmer, and Uncle Mark Cathey.

The Plotts were another legendary bunch from here in my home county. My dad used to hunt with some of them. The Dentons were another legendary hunting family, and the Riches, and Messers, who I am related to, the Laneys, who are represented on here, and many, many others.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Big Tom Wilson, Holt Collier, Sam Hunnicutt, Turkey George Palmer, and Uncle Mark Cathey.

The Plotts were another legendary bunch from here in my home county. My dad used to hunt with some of them. The Dentons were another legendary hunting family, and the Riches, and Messers, who I am related to, the Laneys, who are represented on here, and many, many others.
Bear hunters here really like the grit of their plots, read the history of them coming from Germany with twin brothers and 5 dogs in 1700s

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Bear hunters here really like the grit of their plots, read the history of them coming from Germany with twin brothers and 5 dogs in 1700s
Spent many, many years hunting Plott hounds for coon and bear. Probably my favorite breed of dog on the planet. They originated in their present form a few miles up the road from me.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Yeah, Kifaru seems to be the anointed pack right now. My son's friend has one. My son is slumming it with a Mystery Ranch, actually, he loves his pack. My son said the two brands are comparable and it was just a matter of personal preference.

The founder of Kifaru and the founder of MR were once a team making great packs together. They branched off and still make very similar quality packs with a different price point. I would almost compare them to military grade packs. Not super light but practically bulletproof.

Professor

The founder of Kifaru and the founder of MR were once a team making great packs together. They branched off and still make very similar quality packs with a different price point. I would almost compare them to military grade packs. Not super light but practically bulletproof.
Ironically, Mystery Ranch's hunting packs are lightweight versions of their military packs. Their jump packs are some bomb-proof dudes.

Tight Lines

The founder of Mystery Ranch was a guy named Dana Gleason who founded Dana Designs. I'd say Dana did more for pack design than any single person in America. His packs were the absolute best you could buy back 30 years ago. I bought my Arclight Glacier from Dana directly after having dinner with him and a friend in a Bozeman steakhouse. After his non-compete ran out after selling Dana Designs, he started Mystery Ranch...

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
They spell it both ways. Most of the were living in the Tellico Plains area working for Alcan if I spelt it right.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Them gentlemen look a lot like my ancestors. The one in the plaid shirt is a identical match to my cousin Leon Beaver
That was Samuel J. Hunicutt. He lived at the mouth of Hammer Branch on Deep Creek in what is now the GSMNP. He was a renowned hunter and fisherman, and split the mountains wide open, leaving young guys in his wake. He killed many, many bears. He wrote a fascinating little book called 20 Years Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains that is an excellent read. He was a better hunter than author, but his stories ring true.