Thinking About A New Truck

Redbow

And how many on this site would consider the Toyota Tacoma? I might be in the market soon for a new pickup. It won't be one of the 60K or above Fords or Chevy's for sure. The Tacoma is just shy of 40k still high but not 60k.. I have heard good things about the Tacoma, and some not so good things as well. Your opinion?

Toliver

I bought my son a 2017 when he graduated high school. It was a good truck. He kept it for 3 years. As a young man just striking out on his own, he thought it used too much gas for a compact truck. He traded it in on a Ranger. I haven't asked him how that worked out for him. My daughter is in love with the Tacomas. If I can get her over her anxiety of driving and actually get her to get her license, I'll be buying her a Tacoma. Nice looking little trucks in my opinion and Toyota certainly has a good reputation of lasting past the last payment.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The Taco is an excellent lightweight truck. It's the mini me version of the Tundra. I've gone through 3 4 Runners and I'm on my second Tundra and I haven't had problem with any of them.

earlthegoat2

I’d buy one….from around 2008 or so.

Wouldn’t even care about the mileage. 40k would be the same as 400k for that era.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
When I was shopping the Nissan was a bit cheaper. They both are good trucks.

hawkeye123

On my 2nd Tundra and 1st 4 Runner, had an old 79 Yota truck, best truck ever, my cousin & buddy have Tacomas , cant beat em, best truck in 40K range by far!

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a 2017 Tacoma Off Road. At my age last truck I’ll need. Just a heads up on the Tacoma , the off road and pro models have 8 3/4” rear ends compared to the other Tacoma s with 8” rear ends.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tacoma is a great truck. So is the Nissan Frontier for 10k less. Ran my first one 300k and still had the original starter and alternator and almost everything else.

transfixer

"If" i were going to buy a new truck it would have to be a Toyota, I work on too many of the others to even consider one of them ! Just do your research on whatever engine you think you want, some Toyota engines are better than others, some of the V6's don't get very good mileage, I'd personally want a 4cyl myself

Gaswamp

I have 3 Tacoma's and 1 tundra but starting in 2022 the Tacoma is made in Mexico so I personally will want to see how that plays out...2021 and before ya can't go wrong and I wouldn't shy away from a 10 yr old used tundra either

Swamprat

Swamprat
Bought a 2023 Tacoma right before Christmas and very happy with it. 4WD with the XP badge. And yes Mexico but from what I understand it still has Japanese oversight on site for plant operations and quality control.

Got rid of my F-250 4WD Lariat Diesel, tired of the fuel cost plus tag fees every year. Went from around 110 bucks to 46.

Tacoma is average around 20 city/highway, plenty of power and is roomier inside than it looks.

Tight Lines

Tacos are great trucks, and having fished all over the US I can say that they are the truck of choice for more fly fishing guides than I can count...because they will run forever, are smaller and more nimble, and don't cost as much as a full size truck...

If I was going to buy another truck, it would be that or a Nissan Frontier...

I like the styling of the Taco better. Will probably be what my son gets at some point...

Swamprat

Swamprat
Here is my 2023, little dirty from the last few days turkey hunting. Will slowly do upgrades over time. Thinking camper shell first for out of town or state turkey hunts.

Thought I would not like it coming from a full size but have no regrets. Don't have family at the house to haul around any more, perfect size for me and the wife on trips.

Knowing Toyota reputation I said to my wife might be the last truck I ever buy if I do the upkeep and maintenance as required.

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    508 KB · Views: 40

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
And how many on this site would consider the Toyota Tacoma? I might be in the market soon for a new pickup. It won't be one of the 60K or above Fords or Chevy's for sure. The Tacoma is just shy of 40k still high but not 60k.. I have heard good things about the Tacoma, and some not so good things as well. Your opinion?
Had a Tacoma and Tundra, Tacoma was a manual ànd went like a tank. Tundra was an automatic and was great, just too much power in the mud, snow and ice.

BriarPatch99

I owned a diesel Datsun pickup (1981).. in line 4 cylinder had 300,000 + when I sold it ... I could leave Coffee Co. drive to Atlanta and back and still drive to work a couple days on a tank of fuel.... Would love to have a brand new one right now ...Averaged 35 mpg over the first nine months I owned it ...got as high as 41mpg on the road ...
I now have Toyota T100 that has 330,000+ and still going strong ....needs a little oil every other month .... but still drives as good as it did new .... tough truck ... V6 3.0

I wish Toyota would let the Hilux diesel into this country ....