Tim Tebow

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
How did you measure this exactly? You seem pretty sure of yourself with this bold statement.

Simple... I just can't recall an athlete off the top of my head who spends his off-seasons on missions to Africa to spread the gospel of Christ to AIDS patients, nor one who devotes his personal time both before and after a game to spend some quality time with an individual in need... you know as well as I do that I can go on and on... and on here. Granted that there is and has been some devout christians in pro-sports over the years... the very fact that Tebow is so open about sharing his faith and that the media has often ridiculed his expressions of faith is what makes him so polarizing... along with garnering him a lot of attention.

You view this attention and his actions in a bad light, I'm just the opposite... it's refreshing, not only for the sport but also for christains as a whole. It's fine and dandy what your boy Danny is doing down in New Orleans, but until you posted it on this board... I don't think too many folks knew it (maybe a couple of other Weurfful obsessers or die hard gator fans?) but you can mention Tebow right about now and folks who have never watched a ball game in their lives recognize the name... whether you agree with his devotion and how he portrays it or not... he's garnering some attention.

I have no idea if you are just a christian that's wound a little tighter than normal or an outright non-believer... but from my viewpoint, Tebow is doing just as instructed by the word of the Lord. God grants us everlasting live and the joy of his love... and I'm pretty sure he ain't told us to 'keep it on the down-low' either... I thinks he's saying spread the message best you can... well that is simply Tebow doing as he was instructed?

Im raising my boys to worship the Lord in church every Sunday not play football on the Lords day.

I'm purty sure some of them Seventh Day Adventists folks can help you out if this gets to be a real problem for ya'll?

Simple... I just can't recall an athlete off the top of my head who spends his off-seasons on missions to Africa to spread the gospel of Christ to AIDS patients, nor one who devotes his personal time both before and after a game to spend some quality time with an individual in need...

Well let me help you out. Read up on Manute Bol. He blew the fortune he earned in the NBA with his charity work in his native Sudan. Wound up dying as an indigent patient in a hospital. Like Weurffel, he did so humbly.

I don't think too many folks knew it (maybe a couple of other Weurfful obsessers or die hard gator fans?)

No need for that. Please keep it respectful.

jmharris23

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Well let me help you out. Read up on Manute Bol. He blew the fortune he earned in the NBA with his charity work in his native Sudan. Wound up dying as an indigent patient in a hospital. Like Weurffel, he did so humbly.

I just asked my wife what she thought about Manute Bol... she said she hoped they found a cure for it. You just made my point for me... thanks. As far as being humble... if you think Tebow isn't humble please look up the definition of the word and get back to me. Your arguments against Tebow just don't hold water Ham... I'm happy you think so much of an ex-gater QB and that tall fellow who used to play b-ball. They sound like great folks... too bad more people don't know about their faith and contributions to their fellow man... wish they had been more open about their actions and perhaps been even more of a role model for up and coming young athletes? I may be wrong but I think folks are going to be talking about Tim Tebow for a long time...

All I see are positives from his demeanor and displays of faith... I have no idea what you see and feel? Jealously? Spite? Ridicule? That is the angle many in the media have taken... it would be real easy for a pretender or individual seeking unwarranted attention to give in and take the same old path as others, as the life of an NFL thug appears to be quite entertaining. The expectations heaped on him with this attention have to be a tremendous burden? His success or failure would go by much less noticed in the league if he was just another pro-athlete drawing a check. Tebow ain't playing for the cameras, or putting on some show here... this is the real deal here... at least I am 100% convinced.

The media is playing the entire Tebow story out for us... in both a bad and good light it seems. He doesn't run out to the 50 yard line a dancing and waving to get the camera's attention before assuming his 'now famous' prayerful pose. I haven't seen him dragging any cripple kids out on the field following a game hoping to get on the post game show. He don't even have a Tebow touchdown dance!

I see a young man who answers all detractors as honest as he can, a pro-athlete who is 100% willing to both share the credit for wins and accept blame for losses, a christian who has absolutely no reservations in sharing his faith and witnessing for Christ whenever the opportunity presents itself, just as instructed by the Bible. I find this refreshing and a great positive in more ways than I can express in this format... you seem to find it disgusting and in poor taste? You and I must be polar opposites when it comes to values and what we consider as positive influences in today's culture.

Okay, I just got caught up in the spirit of your posting following your references to Tebow's lisp and his show of emotions after a loss during his college career. Didn't realize we had to follow different standards when posting than you follow yourself? I'll watch myself from now on...:p

1gr8bldr

A sign of a true, motive is when it is done when no one else knows. So much good that we see today is done to make a name for oneself. The bible says, Be careful, not to do your acts of righteous before man, to be seen by them... My point is that it is a thin line seperating the two. Thanks for the info, I learned something today [Manute Bol]

I just asked my wife what she thought about Manute Bol... she said she hoped they found a cure for it. You just made my point for me...

So your wife didn't know him. Not sure how that's relevant to anything.

You and I must be polar opposites when it comes to values and what we consider as positive influences in today's culture.

Probably not really. I just don't believe in your deity.

Okay, I just got caught up in the spirit of your posting following your references to Tebow's lisp and his show of emotions after a loss during his college career. Didn't realize we had to follow different standards when posting than you follow yourself? I'll watch myself from now on...:p

Actually go back and read further about the lisp where I explained why I mentioned it. If you think it's okay to cry on national tv because you lost a football game, that's your prerogative. I just don't agree with it. This may just be one example of the differences in what we consider positive influences though. No biggie.

A sign of a true, motive is when it is done when no one else knows. So much good that we see today is done to make a name for oneself. The bible says, Be careful, not to do your acts of righteous before man, to be seen by them... My point is that it is a thin line seperating the two. Thanks for the info, I learned something today [Manute Bol]

You betcha. Always glad to shine a little light on things.

TimB

I
Okay, since you won't go through the trouble....Danny Weurffel is just as fervent a Christian as is Tebow. He pretty well has devoted his life to charity work in New Orleans. He lost all his buildings in Hurricane Katrina and came right back. The only difference, besides the lisp and the lack of crying, is that he didn't constantly harp on Jesus on tv. It was a private matter and he kept it that way, which I respect very much.

Christians are just as different and varied as any other group of people. Different strokes for different folks you know? Tebow just has a very fervant love of the Lord and wants to give him all the glory he can. He draws his strength from his relationship with the Lord kind of like some old biblical characters.

You know not all of God's servants danced in the street to celebrate a victory but King David did when they brought the ark of the Lord into the city of David.

2Sa 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all [his] might; and David [was] girded with a linen ephod.

He didn't do it to draw attention to himself he just did it out of joy for what God was doing. And I don't think Tebow is trying to draw attention to himself he just happens to have cameras on him whenever he is on the field and he doesn't let that stop him from praising the Lord.

DW just has a different way of approaching his walk with the Lord, it's not better or worse than TT's it's just different.

As far as the lisp, frankly I've never noticed it. And btw, I'm Georgia Dawg fan myself. Certainly never cared for the Gators all that much but I can certainly appreciate the accomplishments of individuals like TT, and yes DW too. And again they're just different.

A lot of people didn't like the antics of "Prime Time" Dion Sanders, I wasn't crazy about them either but I sure liked watching him play especially when he was with the Falcons and Braves.

With all the sports figures out there who are getting caught in sex scandals, murders, shootings, violence and drugs frankly I'm happy to have a Tim Tebow out there being a good example for the youth and giving them something decent to look up to.

mtnwoman

It was a distinction, not a topic for ridicule. Point being, Tebow and Weurffel are very similar. Relax.I was relaxed when I posted and I'm still relaxed.

Okay, since you won't go through the troubleJust took your word for it, didn't need to look it up yet.....Danny Weurffel is just as fervent a Christian as is Tebow. He pretty well has devoted his life to charity work in New Orleans. He lost all his buildings in Hurricane Katrina and came right back. The only difference, besides the lisp and the lack of crying, is that he didn't constantly harp on Jesus on tv. It was a private matter and he kept it that way, which I respect very much.

At any rate, I won't be answering your questions in the future. I was just trying to converse.I don't know why you always have such an attitude towards me. I was trying to converse with you, too. I didn't make fun of DW like you did TT, so I don't get your attitude. I just said I didn't know who he was....and I've heard of Tebow because he proclaims and is not ashamed of what he believes, I'm not saying DW is, I was just saying, that TT is stirring something up in people. I don't need to look up DW, I was taking your word for it.

Peace out.

mtnwoman

So what's the deal about crying....Jesus wept, ya know? Without the lisp?...gees...that's sad that you even bring that up. I bet he got bullied by boys like you when he was young. I know my daughter did....I don't think highly of a person who finds that important about someones character....
I'm not interested in reading about run of the mill heros in football, if they don't have the guts to stand up to what they believe then, oh well, I'm not interested in what they do on the field....as I'm not interested in just the game.
If they don't have anything to say that might touch the hearts of people when they have the chance on tv...then
whatever, carry on with the game....that's what it's about to them.

I'm sorry Hammy, I can see why this post seems argumentative. I guess I just think God is A number 1 in everything. When I do well at a jewelry party or show, I thank God because He provides for me in something that I love doing, making jewelry....and if I get a chance I will witness, that's always in the forefront of everything I do. I don't use Christianity to seem like a good jewelry maker/seller. I use the jewelry business for a chance to witness, whether I'm teaching jewelry making or using it to make money to live on....I even ask God to send me people to witness, too, even when I go the supermarket...use me Lord, use me.

And if I don't score big at a jewelry show, I'm still thankful to God. He doesn't always provide what we want, but He does provide what we need even when we're losers.....joy and peace in all things.

thedeacon

I am not much of a football fan but I am a fan of anyone who stands up for what they believe. We could all do more of that but we use the excuse that we don't have the same oppertunity.

I had the oppertunity to meet Tim and his family and I was very impressed. I am a Tim fan and I wish him all the success in the world. We all need his attitude.

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
So your wife didn't know him. Not sure how that's relevant to anything.

Well that was kinda the point I wanted to make, she doesn't even know who Joe Montana is, or Jim Brown. ( i know... bless her heart) She doesn't know who Favre played for but she knows he cheated on his wife... she knows that TO is a thug and that Namath used to be a drunk... My point was that the Tebow phenomenom extends well beyond just football fans, and unlike the ones I mentioned, this time it is positive. Well it's a good thing in my opinion.

As far as getting personal, that was just because I've been waiting for years to chime in and be mean to you on this forum... but unfortunately, and this part hurts, I found that I mostly agreed with you? I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip by... :bounce:

mtnwoman

Well that was kinda the point I wanted to make, she doesn't even know who Joe Montana is, or Jim Brown. ( i know... bless her heart) She doesn't know who Favre played for but she knows he cheated on his wife... she knows that TO is a thug and that Namath used to be a drunk... My point was that the Tebow phenomenom extends well beyond just football fans, and unlike the ones I mentioned, this time it is positive. Well it's a good thing in my opinion.

Amen!! I can totally relate to your wife....and she knows more than I ever did about any of these fellas.

This is a little off topic, but T.O. is a thug? Gee olcowman, what leads her to that opinion? Specifics if you don't mind. What characteristics would make him so well known as a thug to someone who doesn't follow football at all?

As far as getting personal, that was just because I've been waiting for years to chime in and be mean to you on this forum... but unfortunately, and this part hurts, I found that I mostly agreed with you? I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip by... :bounce:

Good for you. Sleep well tonight knowing you've accomplished something.

A lot of people didn't like the antics of "Prime Time" Dion Sanders, I wasn't crazy about them either but I sure liked watching him play especially when he was with the Falcons and Braves.

Interesting you bring him up in conversation this way. Frankly he's one of the more respectable outspoken Christian athletes you'll find out there.

mtnwoman

Interesting you bring him up in conversation this way. Frankly he's one of the more respectable outspoken Christian athletes you'll find out there.

Yes, he is. I watch Christian TV sometimes and saw Dion Sanders on several different shows. I really like him a lot, too. I think he has the ability to draw attention to himself which draws attention to Christ, and lot of younger males look up to him....I'm happy about that. Plus he plays well, too.

Did you read my other message to you Hammy?