To those that deer hunt in Illinois

Jeetdawg

I was talking with Jim Boyd last night about an interesting bill that was introduced in the Illinois Senate and is assigned to a committee. It is a long way from a law, but very interesting to read the summary of the bill:

SB 1551
Amends the Wildlife Code. Provides that the Department of Natural Resources shall authorize by rule the use of a rifle for deer hunting for the second and third deer hunting seasons. Provides that the rules shall only authorize the use of .24 caliber or larger cartridges with at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle and shall prohibit the use of any rifle capable of holding more than 5 shells in the magazine and chamber, combined.

Basically, it appears it would allow rifles during the second shotgun season and the Muzzleloader season in December. Not trying to start a thread about if you support it or not, but definitely something to keep an eye on, especially with Indiana's new gun laws passing.

shdw633

Did Indiana pass the law allowing hunters to use rifles? I would be surprised if Illinois did this considering the battles they are fighting in regards to their current deer herd populations and the fact that the terrain is so flat and open that I would think they would be afraid of farmhouses and barns being hit from stray bullets shot 1/2 mile or more away.

satchmo

Did Indiana pass the law allowing hunters to use rifles? I would be surprised if Illinois did this considering the battles they are fighting in regards to their current deer herd populations and the fact that the terrain is so flat and open that I would think they would be afraid of farmhouses and barns being hit from stray bullets shot 1/2 mile or more away.

Handgun cal rifles, antique . Not 30.06 or anything.

Jeetdawg

Indiana has a proposal that is going through the public comment phase as we speak. Their DNR supports it and it basically says the minimum caliber for deer would be .243. Here is a piece from their website. If approved, it would start 2015-2016 season.

•Allows additional rifles to be used by reducing the bullet size required to .243 and eliminating the maximum rifle cartridge case length. This will allow high-powered rifles such as the .30-30 and .45-70 during the deer firearms seasons.

Jim Boyd

I personally do not want rifles in Illinois.

I am more concerned with the quality of the herd than I am with safety.

My area of South Carolina is flat as can be and we do not shoot each other - but Illinois probably does have a higher hunter density than SC does, at least during the short shotgun seasons.

I would be fine if we did away with firearms altogether - but I do understand that will never happen...and I understand why.

The Illinois herd (and other Midwest states) is not in the best shape - IMO we need less harvest - and not more.

Good conversation!

flatsmaster

I agree with you completely Mr Jim ... Though I don't mind muzzleloader ... I actually am more concerned about the hilly nature of Midwest with somebody shooting a rifle from a drain up at a buck on a ridge ... Who knows where that round winds up if the person shoots high ... Played a small part in my not keeping my lease in Missouri but now with my daughter going bow only it wouldn't be a issue bc we would be gone ... I like most I think go to the Midwest to shoot a mature high end buck and the less firearms that are used the more bucks no matter what age survive !!!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
The safety issue shouldn't be an issue. IMO. I grew up in Ohio and it's the same kind of terrain as ga aside from the mountains. Hilly in the east flat in the west. Don't know if the herd could withstand it. There gun hunts are generally after the rut so they'd probably be shooting young bucks and does for the most part

I don't think they need rifles there it has been fine for many years the way it is..

Hunter/Mason

Rifles aren't the problem. I leased my own farm in 2013. It was in Robinson Illinois. I saw more spike to 6pts. Ect piled up on trailers like cord wood than I have anywhere else I have ever been. We stayed at a golf course with little cabins that turns into deer camp come deer season when it's closed to golf. Almost all vehicles were from out of state. It was absolutely crazy the # of small bucks brought in. This was on the 1st day too. I always thought and imagined people went to the mid west for size and not to just kill a deer. That's exactly how it was where we were. That's why we didn't renew our lease with the farmer. I know everyone is not this way but I wish yall could have ssaw what we saw.

shdw633

Rifles aren't the problem. I leased my own farm in 2013. It was in Robinson Illinois. I saw more spike to 6pts. Ect piled up on trailers like cord wood than I have anywhere else I have ever been. We stayed at a golf course with little cabins that turns into deer camp come deer season when it's closed to golf. Almost all vehicles were from out of state. It was absolutely crazy the # of small bucks brought in. This was on the 1st day too. I always thought and imagined people went to the mid west for size and not to just kill a deer. That's exactly how it was where we were. That's why we didn't renew our lease with the farmer. I know everyone is not this way but I wish yall could have ssaw what we saw.

I see that every year in Michigan as well, they have a different mindset up there than down here. Most likely due to the farmers up there having the amount of crops damaged by the deer on a year to year basis. In Michigan there are signs everywhere with deer at different stages in age that say "let them go, let them grow" but it doesn't seem to be catching on up there. I watched a four point cross in front of me one year and walk across a clover field into the adjoining woods and he was immediately shot by a hunter in the woods.

Hunter/Mason

I'm not saying I'm not guilty as well. Not in Illinois but last year in Colorado we hunted all week and didn't see a mule deer. On the last day I shot a 4 pointer just to say I killed 1. Looking back I wish I'd let him go. But my mindset was I may never get to go back.

I see that every year in Michigan as well, they have a different mindset up there than down here. Most likely due to the farmers up there having the amount of crops damaged by the deer on a year to year basis. In Michigan there are signs everywhere with deer at different stages in age that say "let them go, let them grow" but it doesn't seem to be catching on up there. I watched a four point cross in front of me one year and walk across a clover field into the adjoining woods and he was immediately shot by a hunter in the woods.

I'm not saying I'm not guilty as well. Not in Illinois but last year in Colorado we hunted all week and didn't see a mule deer. On the last day I shot a 4 pointer just to say I killed 1. Looking back I wish I'd let him go. But my mindset was I may never get to go back.
In my opinion here I believe there is to much out on the kill and not the hunt. I have been guilty of this myself in the past. Maybe it's the adrenaline rush of the kill or the pride you killed one and others may not have I'm not sure what it is that drives is males maybe it's testosterone and competitiveness in us. I wish to get back to just hunting and spending time with friends and the outdoors

HOGDOG76

Sounds like the best thing they can do to preserve their herd is ban out of state hunters:cool::cool:

shdw633

Sounds like the best thing they can do to preserve their herd is ban out of state hunters:cool::cool:

Actually it is the residents that do more damage than the out of staters do, especially in Illinois where the game wardens nearly out number the deer!!!

livetohunt

Similar to Iowa...Even if you own land there you can only hunt it every 2-3 years as you get drawn..If I lived in Iowa I would be very happy with the way they handle the out of state hunters..
As for Illinois, they are in serious financial trouble, and if they think allowing rifles will bring more money to the state, they will probably do it. If I had a vote, Illinois would be a bow only state..

T.P.

Banned
If they're shooting lots of small bucks, how is the Midwest the place to go for bruiser bucks? I thought that's what we were doing wrong in Ga.

HOGDOG76

Actually it is the residents that do more damage than the out of staters do, especially in Illinois where the game wardens nearly out number the deer!!!

I was basing that off what the other poster said about the number of small bucks taken by out of state hunters in addition to my own experience hunting it in the mid 90's.

HOGDOG76

Similar to Iowa...Even if you own land there you can only hunt it every 2-3 years as you get drawn..If I lived in Iowa I would be very happy with the way they handle the out of state hunters..
As for Illinois, they are in serious financial trouble, and if they think allowing rifles will bring more money to the state, they will probably do it. If I had a vote, Illinois would be a bow only state..

I must be confused because I have a good friend there who hunts his family farm and I thought he got tags there every year?