Tractor Question

K80Shooter

Needs vs wants.

I'm looking for a small tractor. I'm just not sure of what I really need. As for wants I'm pretty sure but could change.

Wants,
A small tractor with a 30 to 40 hp diesel engine. A fil/bucket would be nice. 4x4, independent pto, turf tires and that's pretty much it but would like to keep the hp high enough to run a 60" rotary cutter should I ever need too. I would like to keep things big enough to maybe put in a few food plots and gardens for other people to help cover the cost. Also maybe light landscape work.

Needs, Not sure on the hp. I know this all depends on what it's used for, I'm pretty sure I would not be happy with a 20 hp but 25 to 30 maybe. It would mainly be used with a landscape rake on hilly terrain along with a box or scrape blade to smooth it out a little. I know using it with the ground wet would be out. Also maybe using it to pull dead/fallen tree's to a burn area after they are cut to reasonable size. Maybe pulling a plug aerator, pto seed/fertilizer spreader.

So what do some of you more experienced people say?

Also anyone with any experience with a Kubota L2350 2wd? I have not looked at one but might in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Ihunt

I have a Kubota L2800 4wd. I like small tractors for what I do but think 4wd is a must. The small tractors have many advantages as well as disadvantages when compared to a larger one. Most will tell you to go as large as you can afford and while that isn't bad advice you need to think about storage,trailering, fuel consumption, maneuverability, etc. For many, bigger isn't necessarily better.

Gaducker

Get as big a tractor as you can fit on your trailer and pull with your truck.

You may not be needing a big one now but you may later. we cut big pastures and Its nice to pull a batwing and I couldn't do it with a compact tractor.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if you are getting a FEL, then FWD is mandatory, in my opinion. when you put that weight on a non pulling front axle, it can make it hard to steer with out the four wheel drive.

for a 5ft mower, I would say at least thirty HP. Anything less, and you will be creeping if you are in anything more than yard grass.

K80Shooter

I have a Kubota L2800 4wd. I like small tractors for what I do but think 4wd is a must. The small tractors have many advantages as well as disadvantages when compared to a larger one. Most will tell you to go as large as you can afford and while that isn't bad advice you need to think about storage,trailering, fuel consumption, maneuverability, etc. For many, bigger isn't necessarily better.

Yep, definitely keeping it in the compact size, it needs to be able to move around in trees and such.

Get as big a tractor as you can fit on your trailer and pull with your truck.

You may not be needing a big one now but you may later. we cut big pastures and Its nice to pull a batwing and I couldn't do it with a compact tractor.

I don't ever see me needing it for anything like this but I do understand the bigger the better part.

if you are getting a FEL, then FWD is mandatory, in my opinion. when you put that weight on a non pulling front axle, it can make it hard to steer with out the four wheel drive.

for a 5ft mower, I would say at least thirty HP. Anything less, and you will be creeping if you are in anything more than yard grass.

Yeah my thoughts exactly from all the research I've done. I remember years ago when we used tractors and fil to clean out chicken houses that you had to raise the front end off the ground to do any good at all. Of course steering was out of the question.

I would get at least a 30 hp

That's what I'm thinking too.

I had just found a Kubota L2350 which is a 25hp and only 250 hours on it, no fil though, it does have the turf tires though, just wondering if it might work while knowing it is not exactly what I want. Just not wanting to regret it later.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
PM sent

GeorgeShu

I would really rethink the turf tires if you ever want to do anything that really uses the horse power for pulling. Very little traction there, I speak from experience on that. Go ag tires and 4WD if at all possible. Adding liquid in the tires will help some but if the soil is wet or you are on anything that is slippery, you are going slip and slide and then say bad words.

Last edited:

K80Shooter

I would really rethink the turf tires if you ever want to do anything that really uses the horse power for pulling. Very little traction there, I speak from experience on that. Go ag tires and 4WD if at all possible. Adding liquid in the tires will help some but if the soil is wet or you are on anything that is slippery, you are going slip and slide and then say bad words.

Thank You, I was wondering how the turf tires would do.

So let me ask this, how does the ag tires do on a lawn? On a compact tractor do they tear it up too awful much?

Another thing, what is the industrial tire I keep seeing mentioned?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Industrial tire is a ag looking tire, but without the sharper cleats. They have wide flat cleats and if you are getting off in the woods, you will end up at the bottom of the hill. They don't hold, and slip and slide everywhere. Same with turf tires. Yeah, ag tires are going to tear up your yard when you turn it deep, but they will hold in the slop and on the slope.

I have an early 80's model 24 hp Kubota that does fine with a 5 ft bush hog. It's only 2x4 and for the most part all I use it for is food plots that are an acre or less and it usually does great but if the ground is soft it has trouble spinning tires (even with AG tires). It has a differential lock lever that does help a lot but I would definitely get 4x4 if I had the choice. I feel like it has plenty of power for what I use it for (cutting/planting food plots) but it will get stuck.

K80Shooter

I have an early 80's model 24 hp Kubota that does fine with a 5 ft bush hog. It's only 2x4 and for the most part all I use it for is food plots that are an acre or less and it usually does great but if the ground is soft it has trouble spinning tires (even with AG tires). It has a differential lock lever that does help a lot but I would definitely get 4x4 if I had the choice. I feel like it has plenty of power for what I use it for (cutting/planting food plots) but it will get stuck.

Thank You Sir.

K80Shooter

I have talked to a couple of dealers, Kubota in Carnesville must have thought I fell off the turnip truck today. They priced me a L3301 with a fil only for about what I have saw the same tractor priced by their sister store in Alto with fil, rotary cutter, box blade and trailer. Just shook my head and drove off.

It seems that Massey Ferguson might have the best price, I have not checked with John Deere. Mainly just checking new prices for reference for the upcoming auction. I'm not paying almost new price for a used tractor.

Last edited:

joey1919

I agree with that

A small tractor with a 30 to 40 hp diesel engine. A fil/bucket would be nice. 4x4, independent pto, turf tires and that's pretty much it but would like to keep the hp high enough to run a 60" rotary cutter should I ever need too.
Needs, Not sure on the hp. I know this all depends on what it's used for, I'm pretty sure I would not be happy with a 20 hp but 25 to 30 maybe. It would mainly be used with a landscape rake on hilly terrain along with a box or scrape blade to smooth it out a little. I know using it with the ground wet would be out. Also maybe using it to pull dead/fallen tree's to a burn area after they are cut to reasonable size. Maybe pulling a plug aerator, pto seed/fertilizer spreader.

So what do some of you more experienced people say?

Also anyone with any experience with a Kubota L2350 2wd? I have not looked at one but might in a couple of days.

we have that tractor size in 4wd. I've used it with a 60" bushhog and it will pull it, but in thick tall grass you have to be careful of it running hot. for a loader on a tractor that size I wouldn't even think about a 2wd. it would do the rest of your list ok.

We have an l3901(I think)4wd w/loader and hydro. I think, for what you're describing, its a better fit.

Industrial tire is a ag looking tire, but without the sharper cleats.

we have these tires on the 3901 and they have served us well. we don't have a whole lot of steep hills. the ones we do have are sandy and they do well. they are easier on the grass as well. if you go with the smaller lighter tractor you may be ok with the ag tires if you're careful.

tree cutter 08

The industrial tires are best all around. I get around a thousand hours or so to the front set and should get around 4k on the back. Only time I wish I had the ag tires is right after a rain or on very steep ground. Lots of different options on transmission and other odds and ins that makes a big difference in price. I would get one with shuttle shift. I wouldnt go the hydrostat route. Mine has the glide shift and has been problem free so far. Quick and easy to change gears, and the shuttle shift is great with front end loader work. I think a 30 to 40 hp range would be what your looking for. I wouldnt get into the 20 range.

Old Winchesters

I bought a Diesel JD 3210 4wd w/ FIL, Hydrostat trans w/ industrial lug tires 7 years ago. Wouldnt change a thing. It is exactly what I wanted it to be..... Get your implements off craiglist etc.. Dont pay the ridiculous prices at the dealer.

jbriley

you can check TRACTORHOUSE.COM.
They have listings on used tractors nationwide.
you can do a search by brand, price , location.
you may find a deal for exactly what you are looking for.

K80Shooter

Check out BeShears Tractor in Alabama. They're a lot cheaper than these local guys on Kubotas.

I'll do that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Me getting back on here is going to be sketchy for the next few days, my computer is on the blink so I'm winging it for a few days till a replacement arrives.

skiff23

Kubota is cheap for a reason . John Deere had to produce a utility grade tractor to compete with them. John Deere m and above series are the top of the line. They set the bar. The D and E series are made to compete with low end tractors. I have a FOrd 5000 tough as it gets. Simple and hard core. I also have a John Deere 5200 series 4x4 tough and works. I also have a Zetour 75 Hp 4x4 and I believe it is my favorite. Strong simple and TOUGH ! it is a work horse. There is a dealer in Westminister SC and he is awesome. Probly the next tractor is going to be a 85 HP Zetour. It would pay to look at one of those on a smaller version.

Latest posts