Trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
First off let me make sure everyone knows I am NOT a photographer at any level. I am a traveler.

Just wanted to share some pics of last weeks venture, we flew into Rapid City, SD and drove all around the area We spent most of the time in the Black Hills but did venture over to Wyoming, Nebraska, and North Dakota breifly during this trip.

The photos in this first post are approaching Rushmore, at Rushmore, and inside Custer State Park along the wildlife loop.tunnel on Iron Mountain hwy.jpgRushmore from several miles away.jpgRushmore from overlook along Iron Mtn rd.jpgI made it to Rushmore.jpgWe made it to Rushmore.jpgBuffalo herd in Custer SP.jpgBuffalo herd in Custer SP-2.jpgBuffalos going to chapel  Custer SP.jpgBuffalo cow.jpgAntelope buck... Custer SP.jpgWild Burros Custer SP-.jpgWild Burro Custer SP-4.jpgWild Burro wants food... Custer SP.jpgPrarie dogs near Devils tower.jpgLying buffalo.jpg

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
more shots from the Black Hills area. These shots are from along the Needles Hwy and in Hill City SD1880 train at Hill City SD..jpg1880 train takes on water at Hill City SD.jpgAlong Needles Hwy 5.jpgAlong Needles Hwy 6.jpgAlong Needles Hwy.jpgApproach to tunnel through needles.jpgNear needles tunnel on Hill City side.jpgNeedles tunnel from Hill City side.jpgThe needles eye.jpgAlong Needles Hwy 2.jpgTunnel through needles.jpgThe needles.4.jpgThe needles3.jpgSmall needles near tunnel.jpg

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Finally ............... this is the Badlands National Park near Wall SD, an open gold mine at Lead, SD, and the infamous Wall Drug Store in Wall SD. The Wall Drug folks have a monopoly on road signs in that part of the world.Badlands NP2.jpgBadlands NP.3.jpgBadlands NP.jpgMountain goats at Badlands NP.2.jpgDall Sheep at Badlands NP.jpgMountain goats at Badlands NP.3.jpgMountain goats at Badlands NP.jpgThe Yellowtops at Badlands NP.jpgOpen gold mine at Lead, SD.jpgInfamous Wall Drug store  Wall SD.jpg

Last edited:

Crickett

Little Lady
:cool:Those are awesome! Looks like y'all had a great time! I have to admit I got a little claustrophobic just looking @ the shots of y'all driving thru the mountain!:eek:

snuffy

Great pictures.
Planning to go next year myself.
Thanks for sharing.

Huntress

What did you think about all the wonderful colors of the badlands as you rode around it and the sun hitting and setting on it?

Wonderful pictures. I tried to frame Mount Rushmore through the tunnels but it didn't turn out real clear.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Great Pics Marvin! Looks like y'all had a good time!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What did you think about all the wonderful colors of the badlands as you rode around it and the sun hitting and setting on it?

Wonderful pictures. I tried to frame Mount Rushmore through the tunnels but it didn't turn out real clear.

We tried it on each of the 3 tunnels without success. We had traffic following each time. I need to invest in a good camera and take some tips from the members in this forum to learn how to use it. I just like the little pocket cameras though.

We went to the Badlands early one day. The colors werent that spectacular with the morning light. If I ever get back that way I will try the evening.

It was all fun and interesting, but I think my favorite parts were seeing all the wildlife in Custer SP and seeing all the rock formations along the Needles highway.

Shug

Those are some awsome pictures

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Great pictures.
Planning to go next year myself.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks,

I see from your avatar you are a biker. As you already know Sturgis, SD is biker central. Everywhere we went in that area had a large number of bikers. I know you will enjoy it next year.

markantony57

Yes, but did you find out what is in the secret chamber behind the heads of Mt. Rushmore. Saw a documentary on this.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yes, but did you find out what is in the secret chamber behind the heads of Mt. Rushmore. Saw a documentary on this.

From what I have read about that the chamber was never finished. It was to be some sort of sealed time capsule type thing. When Borglum died and WW2 started the entire project was declared complete although it was not complete per the original plans.

Ellbow

Thank you for posting these! I want to do a trip to Black Hills and tour the Black Hills Gold factory then go onto Laura Ingall's homes that she lived in throughout the mid-west. Looks like you had quiet an adventure!
Thanks for posting!
El