Trolling Motor Battery for a Gheenoe

Buckhead

Hey-
Santa brought me a Minn Kota 30 lb thrust trolling motor for Christmas. Intend to use it on my 15’ long Gheenoe. I use the boat for fishing and duck hunting on our 100 acre pond. Not really trolling, more point A to point B. Looking for a deep cycle battery recommendation. Needs to last a day with stop and go operation. Also will be carried by hand, so no heavy weights. Been thinking about a conventional 24 series battery or possibly an AGM. Would like to spend $100 or less, but will spend more if ultra light weight or significantly more amp hours, etc.

Guessing someone on this forum has been there, done that and can save me from making a mistake. Thanks

RamblinWreck

I use a scooter/wheelchair deep cycle battery:
Duracell Ultra 12V 35AH Deep Cycle AGM SLA Battery
SLADC12-35J

I can spend the day on a local 340 acre electric-only reservoir in my NuCanoe with 46 lb Newport TM. Its about as small as I would go.

hopper

Everstart group 29 $99 Walmart. Run a 55 # thrust on my 15.5 flat back canoe. Have had the battery for 3 yrs now and still working great. Normally 6 hrs of here and there and riding shore lines and have yet run it down less than half.
In my opinion best value on a deep cycle. The 24 is less around $75

Buckhead

SLADC12-35J

I can spend the day on a local 340 acre electric-only reservoir in my NuCanoe with 46 lb Newport TM. Its about as small as I would go.

Have heard that it is best to keep from a complete discharge to prolong battery life. Does that smaller scooter battery drop below 25-30% remaining power after a full day? I like that it only weighs 25 lbs or so as I have a distance of 150 yds or so to charge.

Bream Pole

Last edited:

RamblinWreck

Bh: I usually don't have to run it down that low, and I always put it on the charger when I get home. Still going fine, been using it hard since July, but the TM manufacturers recommend at least a 50 AH battery. I'm using an electronic speed control, so that saves some batt compared to the fixed speed coils in a basic TM.

Shonswer

What I've used/using for our RV:

- Mighty Max Battery 12V 55Ah

- VMAX SLR-125 12V 125Ah (it is a marine battery but even here is written that it will also fit for RV, and I can prove this because I'm still using it for ours)

Also, Renogy produces good batteries but I can't remember the exact model that I've used.

Bream Pole

I have two of the Interstate 35 ah batteries good batteries use on kayak never tried to run all day but would think they would do fine. 23 lbs. two would not cost much more than one larger battery and weigh less.

Buckhead

SLADC12-35J

Bought the same battery from Batteries Plus. Been using it regularly since late February. Working great so far. I typically fish for 3-4 hours, then put it on a charger. Never shown a sign of discharge, still strong when I finish,
619F4C56-D6AA-4E0D-82CA-F8B1203617B2.jpeg

RamblinWreck

I've since upgraded to an Ionic 50 AH lithium. The Duracell now runs the chartplotter-Livescope/sonar.

RamblinWreck

Yeah, 14 or 15, very easy to manage, lasts longer, and puts out more voltage. Think I got another 0.5 mph out of it! Very cool to check the charge using a cell phone app with bluetooth. I got it mainly for the weight savings.