Trout fishing questions

FVRago

Have not trout fished in years and am getting the urge. Deer season just has not hooked me this year. I have the sportsman license so I am covered there.

1. Amicalola = Above hwy 53 is delayed harvest and until Nov. 1, any lures can be used? What size does the trout need to be to be a keeper?

2. Amicalola = Below hwy 53 is there a size limit?

3. Below Buford Dam = right below the dam what is the size limit to be a keeper?

The regs have a lot of info and I just don't want to be keeping a trout that are too small.

Thanks for any and all advice.

WPrich

No comment on Amicalola never fished it but I know the Chattahoochee well.
Chattahochee tailwater(below Buford dam)has no size limit on either trout species.

OwlRNothing

While factually true, Waters IMHO isn't worth the effort and all the hoops you jump through.

Best advice is to take that copy of the regulations and read up before going. Consider that reading just a part of the prep work for having a great time! :) Good luck !

teebert

I’ve fished the amicalola above and below 53 and never caught a trout but I’m not the worlds best trout fisherman. I can always catch one below the dam.

cowhornedspike

There are NO keepers in DH waters until after DH ends. Then they are all keepers if you so choose.

TomC

I've fished the Amicalola a good bit over the years and its OK......sometimes. Same goes for fishing below Buford dam. Some good fishing at times below Buford dam but some deep holes and some of the slickest rocks I've ever encountered so proceed with caution.

If it were me I'd burn a little more gas and head on up to Blue Ridge and fish the Toccoa River. Start your day fishing just below the dam, then head to the bridge at Curtis Switch mid to late morning and then finish the day at Horseshoe Park. Check the dam water release schedule before you go but this should keep you ahead of typical water releases from the dam.

Have had very few bad days on the Toccoa and lots of good to great ones! Makes for a great day of trout fishing!

natureman

The Amicalola fishing is good upstream of the hwy. 53 bridge in fall and winter. People are always catching fish at Buford Dam. At the dam you must wear a PFD (its the law) and check the generation schedule (770-945-1466).

Last edited:

OwlRNothing

But they kept the size limits? :huh:

Similarly, ask the DNR why - now that all trout water is open year-round, we can't turn the Hooch in Helen into a DH stream in winter? The old excuse I got years ago that "people only have a few places to trout fish in winter" is a very moot point now. (Not that anyone save a few fished the Hooch in Helen in winter anyway, mind you)
Imagine a DH the size of the Hooch that would bring more people to fish, and thus more money into Helen in Jan. and Feb? It could provide some actual room to fish and not be elbow-to-elbow like it is on Smith Creek? Size wise, it almost rivals parts of the Nantahala and Fires creek in NC.
Additionally, do you still have to "check in" on Smith's DH? Only DH that requires that annoying step?

Just move the DH to the Hooch and you can have anglers fishing all day and spending their money buying food, drink and snacks virtually right on the banks. I mean, it's a very short walk to Betty's store for lunch from there, right? Ah, dream a little dream.

LovinOutside

Similarly, ask the DNR why - now that all trout water is open year-round, we can't turn the Hooch in Helen into a DH stream in winter? The old excuse I got years ago that "people only have a few places to trout fish in winter" is a very moot point now. (Not that anyone save a few fished the Hooch in Helen in winter anyway, mind you)
Imagine a DH the size of the Hooch that would bring more people to fish, and thus more money into Helen in Jan. and Feb? It could provide some actual room to fish and not be elbow-to-elbow like it is on Smith Creek? Size wise, it almost rivals parts of the Nantahala and Fires creek in NC.
Additionally, do you still have to "check in" on Smith's DH? Only DH that requires that annoying step?

Just move the DH to the Hooch and you can have anglers fishing all day and spending their money buying food, drink and snacks virtually right on the banks. I mean, it's a very short walk to Betty's store for lunch from there, right? Ah, dream a little dream.

I don't totally understand DH other than I think you can't keep the fish. Is that all it means? Are you saying DH keeps people from going or the other way around?

cowhornedspike

DH means delayed harvest. There are certain dates that the fish must be released and then later on it opens up to regular fishing regulations where the fish can be kept up to the normal 8 per day limit.
DH waters are on streams that are normally too warm for trout during the summer months so are only stocked in the colder months and thus the restrictions are lifted in the warm months because the fish probably can't survive the temps anyway.

OwlRNothing

I don't totally understand DH other than I think you can't keep the fish. Is that all it means? Are you saying DH keeps people from going or the other way around?
Nah. I'm saying DH is awesome, but more people could enjoy it at the same time if we had a bigger river like Tallulah River or the Hooch in Helen as DH water instead of a 20 ft. wide creek. That's all. It's just a long time fantasy of mine, nothin' more.

DH is artificial only and catch and release until it ends. They stock lots of fish and often some really big ones. NC has a better DH program imho ( most years ) but I think GA has come a long way in their DH planning and implementation, too. It's almost like getting to fish a "pay-to-play" pellet farm but without the $500 entry fee. ( or whatever that's going for these days.)
Additionally, it's a great place to take kids or someone who is trying to learn about flyfishing because of the number of fish normally present and their willingness to bite.