Trusses...... Storage load????

rospaw

rospaw, I flipped that 3rd pic for you.

I take it you are wanting to create storage space on top of bottom chord of truss between web and outside wall?

Will that just be over the top of tool room, or the entire 80' length?

"I take it you are wanting to create storage space on top of bottom chord of truss between web and outside wall?"
Yes, i want to be able to (not that i will use the whole area, just some) store things from about 20' (of the 40 wide) to the wall. In other words half the building.

Other side i have one and half rows (full length and 1/2 row about 14 off the side wall) of 12' tall pallet racking that i have/can tie into the bottom side of the bottom chord
to support storage if needed.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
"I take it you are wanting to create storage space on top of bottom chord of truss between web and outside wall?"
Yes, i want to be able to (not that i will use the whole area, just some) store things from about 20' (of the 40 wide) to the wall. In other words half the building.

Other side i have one and half rows (full length and 1/2 row about 14 off the side wall) of 12' tall pallet racking that i have/can tie into the bottom side of the bottom chord
to support storage if needed.

I gotcha, I think with a little reinforcing in the right locations and obviously not overloading it you should be fine.

rospaw

a 1 X 4 that you lay flat on the trusses and nail it to each so that as one tries to twist the ones on either side resist that movement.

Also, if you are going to put storage up there you might want to nail through those pressed on plates to strengthen them.

Good thought! I was planning 1x4s down the full length before decking. The decking will be 1/2 osb. I ran into a deal on 225 sheets of new cutoffs 32"x48" for a dollar each piece. One stack is in one of the pictures.

Pressed on plates..... My thought is to find some "U" shaped channel or bend some that will "cradle" the bottom chord and cover over the plates..... about 12 to 16" tall x 12" wide with a 1.5" U. Screw them into the bottom chord and up both webs. Sound right?