Turkeys trouble?

herb mcclure

First, let me tell, where I am coming from when making my insights know. I began hunting turkeys 64 years ago, when the population was very scarce. I have witnessed the turkeys being stocked even before live trapping was commenced. Then, I witness the live trapping era spreading turkeys into virgin habitat, where the population just exploded. Also, I witnessed the turkeys increasing their numbers during this same time-span where no stocking was ever done,(like on the Blue Ridge WMA, which has always had turkeys there). Now, I am witnessing the steady decline of turkeys for the past 20 years or more and learning that this is happening in most places, which leads to a $64,000 dollar question, why come?
No one seems to have a complete answer for all the troubles that turkeys have or have experienced. But a lot of theories and opinions are coming forth.
I will only imply my own comments, to what I have learned from observation or experiences.
My most hunted turkey habitat has been mature hardwood forest in high mountains of North Georgia. The habitat there has been changing. White pines are invading the hardwoods big time. Cannot say how this is helping any wildlife there.
Predators are more visible being there today than 60 years ago. The only noticeable turkey predator back then was the wildcat. There were a few wild hogs, but rare. Owls were heard often when listing for a gobbling turkey; and in late afternoons. Hawks were hardly ever encountered. No coyote were present.
Now today, all that has changed. Wild hogs are everywhere, especially where there is food for them, (mostly mast in winter). Wildcats or foxes don't seem to have increase, (base on their signs left in the forest and game cameras). Now, to a predator that has increased all over the country, which is the hawks! Yes, by my personally observing them, I have witness the highly increase of all types of hawks. I have actually witness hawks taking adult turkeys, young turkeys, and baby turkeys. How could I have witness this happening so much? This was mainly observed at my home-place over a 25 year's time there, having turkeys imprinted on the home-place and my wife and I. I witness a hawk dive on a hen once when hunting.
Yesterday, I was sent an email from DNR's "Georgia's Wild" and their article showed an Golden Eagle captured on a game camera in an open field, which was taking down a turkey in Burke County.
Today, posted on page 8 of "No turkeys in Georgia", on this forum, there is a graph posted by KS Bow Hunter that shows how much raptors have increased, 90%it looks like, and it also shows how much areal insectivores, (rats, shrew, moles, and hedgehog) have decreased 70%. This graph was from 1970 thru 2010. If hawks have increased even more since 2010, which they have, then it's no wounder turkeys are having a hard time, just like the field rats on that graph, and the Bob White Quail forty years ago. Some areas have more of a different predator than raptors, but in my experience hawks are trouble for turkeys, just like they were for grandma's yard chickens.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Riding the highways, or sitting afield. Hawks can be seen everywhere. And yes, I've seen them take turkeys as large as a grown chicken. Especially the redtail hawks. Coopers hawks mostly prey on young turkeys and quail. When hawks were given full protection, it didn't help much, but has hurt much in my opinion. The eagle population has exploded too. They have just about done away with the ducks and geese around the lake we live on. Some management works great, some not so. Wild feral hogs are a menace, to wildlife and farms. Ga has a season on bobcats, raccoons and foxes. That's not working so good either. Have seen large tom bobcats actually stalking small deer, and found deer hair in their scat. Raccoons know when to hunt turkey and quail nest. Bobcats and foxes love turkey meals. Loss of habitat is a huge problem in SW Ga.

buckpasser

Riding the highways, or sitting afield. Hawks can be seen everywhere. And yes, I've seen them take turkeys as large as a grown chicken. Especially the redtail hawks. Coopers hawks mostly prey on young turkeys and quail. When hawks were given full protection, it didn't help much, but has hurt much in my opinion. The eagle population has exploded too. They have just about done away with the ducks and geese around the lake we live on. Some management works great, some not so. Wild feral hogs are a menace, to wildlife and farms. Ga has a season on bobcats, raccoons and foxes. That's not working so good either. Have seen large tom bobcats actually stalking small deer, and found deer hair in their scat. Raccoons know when to hunt turkey and quail nest. Bobcats and foxes love turkey meals. Loss of habitat is a huge problem in SW Ga.

What is the habitat loss that is most noticeable in SWGA? All I’ve noticed around home is the termination of CRP pines. There were little farms everywhere that phased out and are now cleared completely for row cropping. There are some big farmers around me that buy up any and everything and have a refined process of getting every available inch of agricultural use. It sucks to see it, but what do you do?

Timberman

All the above is true. However all the above has been with turkeys forever. So what has changed?

IMHO the decline came when decoys and blinds become a common way to hunt. I don’t have the exact numbers but it imo has to increased the harvest significantly. Its the only variable.

There’s a reason those tactics were frowned upon by the old time Turkey hunters.

Here are the rule of hunting turkeys that okd Turkey hunters like Gene Nunnery abided by.

6AA7424F-6D09-4738-B073-7D1349A60856.jpeg

hrstille

All the above is true. However all the above has been with turkeys forever. So what has changed?

IMHO the decline came when decoys and blinds become a common way to hunt. I don’t have the exact numbers but it imo has to increased the harvest significantly. Its the only variable.

There’s a reason those tactics were frowned upon by the old time Turkey hunters.

Here are the rule of hunting turkeys that okd Turkey hunters like Gene Nunnery abided by.

View attachment 1074038
Why would the hen population drop from people hunting out of blinds & using decoys? The entire flock has decreased state wide. Fire ants are a real problem on nesting turkeys. Plus all the chemicals & litter farmers put out are devastating on turkeys. Turkey habitat has been diminished by row crop fields & slash pine stand that get cut every 15 years. Hunters are 1% of the actual problem.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Why would the hen population drop from people hunting out of blinds & using decoys? The entire flock has decreased state wide. Fire ants are a real problem on nesting turkeys. Plus all the chemicals & litter farmers put out are devastating on turkeys. Turkey habitat has been diminished by row crop fields & slash pine stand that get cut every 15 years. Hunters are 1% of the actual problem.
All the experts say we killed all the mature gobblers before they could breed, so I guess that’s where all the hens went ?

buckpasser

All the experts say we killed all the mature gobblers before they could breed, so I guess that’s where all the hens went ?

We must abandon all common sense and listen to the scholars. When in history have the scientists ever been wrong? Think about it!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Habitat loss in my area of Miller and Early counties, two reasons. Hurricane Michael ruined many areas. Some were cleared, others have so many big trees down with over growth, one can't walk through them. Secondly, a cattle operation has moved from South Florida to Miller and Early counties. Open pastures full of cattle, feed lots. Pastures took over 600 acres on our north side. Several hundred acres on our south side. Would think turkeys would take to these pastures, but glassing from the line. I never see any on the cow pastures. Crop fields to the NE, see turkeys there sometimes, but not in big numbers. Crop fields to the south and SW, will see a turkey or two in those fields sometimes. At one time, most all land mentioned in pasture, was leased by me. Now we're down to about 1000 acres and are surrounded by farms and pastures. Noticed fire ants were mentioned. Riding our woods roads, we can see fire ant hills everywhere, they are a problem big time. Remembering when my Dad raised rabbits. Had to put the coop legs in cans of water with kerosene in em to keep the ants from going up and killing newborns. Might work to pelletize for ants. It wont get rid of them, but sure could reduce the population.

ol bob

Mr. Herb You hit the nail on the head. Here in western N.C. the habitat has not changed one bit, no over hunting, no chicken litter, season don't come in until Apr. 2 bird limit, one per day. 5 years ago I could leave the house be gone an hour and see at least 50 birds yesterday I road around a couple hrs. and didn't see a bird. Hawks every where, no one hunting coons, no crows hunters, so predator are the only thing that has changed but the experts don't want to talk about this.

herb mcclure

Like I have already said on this thread, it's a $64,000 dollar question why are the turkeys having trouble, and that trouble whatever it is, has brought out many theories and opinions.
There is no farming being done in those high mountains where I have hunted. but the population is down. There are no White Pines trees changing the turkey woods and fields in middle and South Georgia. but the turkey population is down as a rule.
DNR and other state wildlife resorices have their work cut-out for them, to solve the big problems.

Like Timber-I, has said on another thread, and I quote, "Most places are settling down to the caring-capacity for the habitat there.
It's not that there are no turkeys anymore, unless something has changed there. It's that there are not as many as there one time was.

Private lands, where habitat improvements, predator control and restricted hunting are carried out, seems to be the only bright areas for maintaining turkey's populations.

across the river

It is really a very easy to question. Land has a carrying capacity, and as land changes, the carrying capacity can go up or down. For many years there was plenty of early succession habitat due to small farms, fencerows, grownup fields, and on and on. Over the past 50 plus years or so much of the South, including Georgia, has transitioned to commercial farming, pine have been planted on almost ever acre they can be planted on in some areas, broom sedge and bluestem fields that were once everywhere are few and far between. Things change, and anyone who thinks the habitat is the same now as it was 20, 30 or more years ago is delusional. Below is the link to a satellite image of Georgia, from I believe the 70's. Pull it up and look at it. Then pull up google earth today and compare them, especially the region above the fall line. It doesn't take a "turkey expert" to figure out why the South part of the state still have more turkey in generally than the northern part. Again, it al goes back to carrying capacity. I get the regulations changes, because what else is the DNR going to do. But the reality of the matter is fire ants, hawks, or hunting didn't drive down the quail population anymore than all these things and raccoons are driving down the turkey population. Stop hunting them all together. Then you will just have more turkey in the spots that already have the turkeys, and the habitat, to accommodate them.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3921a.ct009969/?r=-0.37,0.058,1.799,0.987,0

GobbleAndGrunt78

I think the population decrease is due to a combination of issues. But one unmentioned thing I've noticed is the growing popularity of turkey hunting, specifically the traveling turkey hunting. There are lots of people filling their tags in numerous states. I can't see this helping the population..

herb mcclure

I think the population decrease is due to a combination of issues. But one unmentioned thing I've noticed is the growing popularity of turkey hunting, specifically the traveling turkey hunting. There are lots of people filling their tags in numerous states. I can't see this helping the population..

Gobble And Grunt, your assumption of the high number of turkey hunters today, is a valid reason I believe for DNR to consider shorting the season and lowering the kill, especially on public land.
I too, believe the high number of turkry hunters has been a big part of the turkey's trouble, in lots of places.

TurkeyDreamer

I too, believe the high number of turkey hunters has been a big part of the turkey's trouble, in lots of places.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But, I only hunt private land and I’m the only turkey hunter on said land. And I’m talking 1000 acres of pure turkey paradise. I know for a fact that these areas and the adjoining tracts are not over hunted by humans. Yet, I’m seeing (or more properly not seeing) the same problem as others all over the state.

There’s got to be more going on than just hunters.

herb mcclure

I’m not saying you’re wrong. But, I only hunt private land and I’m the only turkey hunter on said land. And I’m talking 1000 acres of pure turkey paradise. I know for a fact that these areas and the adjoining tracts are not over hunted by humans. Yet, I’m seeing (or more properly not seeing) the same problem as others all over the state.

There’s got to be more going on than just hunters.

Your area's problem may be a lot like the problems where I hunt. I hunt over several thousand acres of land, which has very few turkey hunters there, if they were many hunters there, then I would not be hunting there at all. However, the turkey population has been going down, down, down for a number of years.

I only referred to the high number of hunters as being part of the turkey's trouble, and the main reason for DNR's proposals, that's my opinion. Yes,the wild turkeys are in trouble, and for lots of reasons for it. No one shoe fits ever where.

TurkeyDreamer

I agree with you Mr Herb. Hunters are a part of the problem. However, with population decrease statewide (even beyond our little state of Georgia), there has to be some commonality to the decline. The entire state of Georgia is not private land or WMA, is not agriculture or urbanized, is not over hunted or not hunted, is not subject to chicken manure or not, etc, etc.

Common themes to me include the raptors, predators, and brood habitat.