venison sausage

ucfireman

I have a good bit of ground venison but running short on deer sausage.
I want to use the 1-1.5 lb packages to make "fresh sausage" periodically. Not wanting to do 5-10 lbs at a time just small batches.
What spices do y'all use? I don't plan on mixing with pork fat just use the ground deer, mix and fry.

paulito

i have bought several mixes from cabelas and been happy with them all. i like breakfast sausage so mostly go that route but have enjoyed the chorizo as well. probably be the best route for you doing small batches as they have it all measured out for you. i have found that they package suggested ration is a bit "light" or low on seaasoning for me though.

bany

Adkins has a line. Farm is the one we’ve been using. Comes bulk-ish but a tablespoon a pound give or take.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on what kind you're making. If breakfast sausage, Legg's #10. But, without any fat added, it's really not going to be sausage.

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
When we made sausage we ground up boston butt and mixed with deer to add the fat. Leggs has always been my favorite seasoning.

Bigmonk96

I use the Leggs and highly recommend it -- package says for 25lb. but I get better tasting sausage using on 18 lbs. of meat ( 6lbs.venison, 6lb. ground pork butt,6 lbs. cheap sausage for the fat*) -- I also add a spoonful of Sage & a spoonful of Coriander to the entire package contents ( my personal likes**) ___ if you are making smaller batch, store the remainder of seasoning in a jar. I use a postal scale that works great for measuring the small amounts of seasoning ,as well as the meat you package.

for a small batch,say 4 lbs, just use 2lbs. venison & 2lbs. cheap sausage ( cheap sausage is almost all fat**) -- add 2 or 3 oz. of the seasoning to your taste -- put in qt. freezer bags to use it, 1 lb. at a time, ( keeps in fridge for several weeks )

I made several batches,before I found the **right taste** for me, but now it's pretty good sausage ( to me,anyways ;) ****) _____ good luck,Monk*

tgc

Leggs seems to be the favorite. Now is that going to be the regular or hot? What y’all think?

P6smSKC

I like the hot italian backwoods seasoning by LEM. I have tried not using fat ground in and with and although not as healthy, fat ground in is far better in my opinion. Otherwise its just a pan of crumbled up ground deer.

The Bearded Butchers make some really good seasoning mixes for sausage. They have some good videos on youtube about butchering and sausage making as well.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Just made some tonight, Leggs #10 and Leggs hot, I don’t remember the number for the hot. Ones 8 oz. the hot is 9 oz. both do 25 lbs. I mix the seasoning 50/50. It’s hard to beat.