Vision Insurance is a scam - my latest rant

Dr. Strangelove

So today I show up at LensCrafters™ for my appointment, a provider that has $0.00 co-pay according to my insurance. Whilst I fill out my information sheet, the clerk calls me back up to the desk to inform me "what my co-pay may possibly be". I know that already, it's $0.00, that's why I chose you guys and you had an appointment to fit my schedule.

Turns out I'm going to be expected to pay $69.99 minimum out of pocket and possibly more, but they can't tell me how much until I've had my exam. Ummm, yeeeah, hard no from me miss. She asks if we can "Have a conversation" (hard sell tactics for those of you that haven't experienced this)

Well, I'm thinking I've left work early for this and wasted my time so now I get to waste yours. I let her go through 10-15 minutes of her sales spiel and told her my insurance company contracted with you to provide services at a set price, and I then contracted with them for a year which I can't get out of expecting to get what I was offered, which you can't or refuse to do.

I don't expect anything for free, but I pay out of my check every two weeks for the service I expect to receive. If you don't want to provide it, then don't contract with my insurance company. You can't tell me how much my exam will be until I've had it and then I'm obligated pay that? Umm, no. Tell you what, I'll let my insurance pay at the rate YOU contracted with them to provide the service.

Vision insurance has always kind of been a wash, you're just kind of financing the cost of an exam over a year but at least you get some discounts on lenses or whatever, used to be but now it seems like everything else, you're just paying and paying and expected to be happy to be granted the honor of paying some more on top of that.

I'll try to find some local places and report back, I just wanted to get some contacts before I went to the beach but I'm just so tired of being hosed over by insurance that I pay dearly for out of my paycheck.

For what it's worth, I have the Georgia State Employee insurance plan and it's not all it's cracked up to be.

ryanh487

Go to America's best. No insurance, $99 for 3 years of exams. I used them for years before I got lasik.

sinclair1

I never choose eye or dental insurance in the past unless it was company paid. I have company paid eye and dental and still just go to eyebuy direct after a $79 exam every two years.

I too believe it’s mostly a consumer tax that’s not needed. The cash price will suffice unless you have problems with your vision or tooth.

Kev

So today I show up at LensCrafters™ for my appointment, a provider that has $0.00 co-pay according to my insurance. Whilst I fill out my information sheet, the clerk calls me back up to the desk to inform me "what my co-pay may possibly be". I know that already, it's $0.00, that's why I chose you guys and you had an appointment to fit my schedule.

Turns out I'm going to be expected to pay $69.99 minimum out of pocket and possibly more, but they can't tell me how much until I've had my exam. Ummm, yeeeah, hard no from me miss. She asks if we can "Have a conversation" (hard sell tactics for those of you that haven't experienced this)

Well, I'm thinking I've left work early for this and wasted my time so now I get to waste yours. I let her go through 10-15 minutes of her sales spiel and told her my insurance company contracted with you to provide services at a set price, and I then contracted with them for a year which I can't get out of expecting to get what I was offered, which you can't or refuse to do.

I don't expect anything for free, but I pay out of my check every two weeks for the service I expect to receive. If you don't want to provide it, then don't contract with my insurance company. You can't tell me how much my exam will be until I've had it and then I'm obligated pay that? Umm, no. Tell you what, I'll let my insurance pay at the rate YOU contracted with them to provide the service.

Vision insurance has always kind of been a wash, you're just kind of financing the cost of an exam over a year but at least you get some discounts on lenses or whatever, used to be but now it seems like everything else, you're just paying and paying and expected to be happy to be granted the honor of paying some more on top of that.

I'll try to find some local places and report back, I just wanted to get some contacts before I went to the beach but I'm just so tired of being hosed over by insurance that I pay dearly for out of my paycheck.

For what it's worth, I have the Georgia State Employee insurance plan and it's not all it's cracked up to be.
I agree. It’s all a scam. Since you work and make money, your like a piece of raw meat in front of a pack of dogs.

B. White

I was resistant at first, but have bought glasses online through Zenni for the past several years with no problem. No-line bifocals transition lenses titanium frame 130.00. Get a $50-79 exam at walmart or a thousand other places.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I go to Dr. Carlin in Snellville.

No fast food eye docs for me.

turtlebug

Go to a private doc listed on your insurance, especially if it's VSP. I use the same local eye doctor every year and all I ever have to pay is if I go above and beyond on allowable expense for frames, which I usually do. For the last two or three years though I've gotten a refund.

I get my prescription and order more glasses from Zenni for about $50/pair.

If you're going to a big box place, they're gonna get you for every penny and make the paperwork so confusing you give up rather than try to decipher it.

Same with dental insurance. Go to a local, independent dentist, never anything like Aspen or Smile Doctors.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Go to a private doc listed on your insurance, especially if it's VSP. I use the same local eye doctor every year and all I ever have to pay is if I go above and beyond on allowable expense for frames, which I usually do. For the last two or three years though I've gotten a refund.

If you're going to a big box place, they're gonna get you for every penny and make the paperwork so confusing you give up rather than try to decipher it.

Same with dental insurance. Go to a local, independent dentist, never anything like Aspen or Smile Doctors.

This ^^^^^^

Use your trusted doc for your exam. Order glasses from Zenni for pennies on a dollar what the eye shops charge. We use VSP and doing this leaves bucks to help wife get her contacts in addition to glasses.

Dr. Strangelove

Go to Costco. File it youself on your insurance. You'll thank me later.

We're getting a Costco in Athens this summer!

That's essentially what I'm planning to do, pay out of pocket and file for reimbursement from Ins.

LensCrafters specifically is infamous for their extra fees, I knew that going in and that's why I just told them no and walked out. They had a same week appointment for a reason.

Dr. Strangelove

That's what I plan to do, I just wanted to get some contacts before vacation but I'm not paying 3x the price. I use Zenni for glasses and will find a place for contacts.