Was i wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOYDB

BANNED
probably because you did such a good job engineering the hinge while you work for all big 3 truck manufacturers.

Come on peanut gallery.

Be honest, How many of you have had to have a door realigned in your life?

Remember I requested that you be honest.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Come on peanut gallery.

I can't locate the hand raised emoticon, so I will only tell you that I have... on more than one vehicle. Mostly on Chevys, but also on a few Dodges

and I have replaced pins and bushing in the hinges on several more vehicles that I have owned. I have even had to reweld the hinge into the pillar on one truck that I owned.

sinclair1

Come on peanut gallery.

I aligned them myself, but both my 78 C10 bonanza truck and 78 K5 blazer sagged about a inch and would barely close. The blazer had a crack at the hinge probably because we would stress the body in the woods and open them half racked

Turpentine

Day gum. Putting him in the back probably isn't the best ideer now that I think about it. Buddy would probably pee on em.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I aligned them myself, but both my 78 C10 bonanza truck and 78 K5 blazer sagged about a inch and would barely close. The blazer had a crack at the hinge probably because we would stress the body in the woods and open them half racked

the 80's square bodies were really bad about springing hinges. The doors were like barn doors swinging in the breeze.

the 96 - 2000 Dodge trucks were bad about springing the hinges after the pins had worn a bit. The spring that held the door keep pressing against the roller would pop out, and then the door would have nothing to hold it back from hitting the stop really hard. If the wind caught it, and slung it open, it would warp the a-pillar and cause alignment issues

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The worst I ever had about spring hinges and doors out of alignment was '56 Chevy pickup. The doors were a mile long, and weighed a ton. You couldn't keep them in alignment if they were slammed much

Turpentine

How can he relate over extending the door hinges to a real world crash or test when the doors are closed.
Is the a brick wall emoji I can post for him to argue with?

sinclair1

The worst I ever had about spring hinges and doors out of alignment was '56 Chevy pickup. The doors were a mile long, and weighed a ton. You couldn't keep them in alignment if they were slammed much
We never abused them but the long Corvette doors and fiberglass scared me to death. The were big levers.

NOYDB

BANNED
Odd, years of writing service and buying selling cars and never saw one.

But I'll concede that some of you mistreated vehicles you had access to and messed them up. I bet I could run off rode or on bumpy dirt roads with the door hanging out and one could have a problem. But opening and closing a door won't knock it out of alignment. If you go down a bumpy road with the door open and stress the hinge that way I suppose it won't line up. Since I don't hang on open doors going down dirt roads I'll never know.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Odd, years of writing service and buying selling cars and never saw one.

But I'll concede that some of you mistreated vehicles you had access to and messed them up. I bet I could run off rode or on bumpy dirt roads with the door hanging out and one could have a problem. But opening and closing a door won't knock it out of alignment. If you go down a bumpy road with the door open and stress the hinge that way I suppose it won't line up. Since I don't hang on open doors going down dirt roads I'll never know.

none of the ones I mentioned were 4WD, or run up and down dirt roads with the doors open. Not a one.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We never abused them but the long Corvette doors and fiberglass scared me to death. The were big levers.

I have never owned a Vette, I that would worry me too. I know the doors are long on them. I would think if the wind caught one, it could play havoc on those hinges and A-pillars

zedex

Gator Bait
The brand of truck I posses has nothing to do with my contention that truck doors are not that fragile.
But for the record I've owned Toyotas, Fords and Jeeps. All bought new. As a car salesperson I have traded and sold all the brands. I worked repairing cars for two dealerships. And never had to write a service ticket to realign a door. Nor ever saw one that the other service writers wrote.
Jeep doors have replaceable hinge pins. I've never seen a full size Ford truck that was over 10 years old without worn hinges and if anyone remembers, the doors on firebirds, trans am and Camaro all have heavy doors.. the hinges wore out frequently.

As far as my truck goes, it's an 01 Dakota, std cab. The doors latch closed with ease. I intend to keep it that way. Pushing a door beyond the normal throw of the hinges results in worn hinges, and because the sheet metal flexes, can damage, via fatigue, the A pillar and the mounting point of the door hinge.

Slamming the door results in broken latches and strikers. Like the hinges, it can weaken the sheetmetal where latches and strikers mount. Additionally, the door glass could shatter or the regulator could break or the C channels could become dislodged. Beyond that, the rapid air pressure increase inside the cab can blow out weather stripping and it's been known to blow out rear windows.
Some people have reported door speakers actually coming out of the door. Another danger of slamming the door is the seatbelt connector... often times, the retractor has either failed or becomes slow. If the connector is caught between the door and body, there will be damage.

Last year, I replaced the B pillar on a 2011 Blazer. The lady who owns the truck always slammed her door. The pillar where the striker mounts finally gave up. It had been flexed too many times.

So, yes. Pushing the door open and stressing the hinges and slamming a car door will do damage.

So I did see the kid today and he repeatedly apologized and said he would not ask for a ride again because his sister told him his behavior was uncalled for and unacceptable. He had very visible bruise across his face that she left there as a reminder to be polite... I had to laugh about that.

zedex

Gator Bait
I have never owned a Vette, I that would worry me too. I know the doors are long on them. I would think if the wind caught one, it could play havoc on those hinges and A-pillars
I almost bought a vette. It had door alignment problems and passed it for that reason. You dont just replace the A pillar, it's a lot of rebuilding and work to get them realigned. I worked at s body shop and those were the only cars that the owner refused to take in

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I owned a 77 Monte Carlo. The doors on that sucker are as long and heavy as some compact cars these days.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I owned a 77 Monte Carlo. The doors on that sucker are as long and heavy as some compact cars these days.

my brother had a 72 Monte. It took 2 men to hang those doors. Impossible for one man unless he had a door hanging stand.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Similar to a situation I experienced many years ago right after I bought my first new truck. I took a young woman on a date and she slammed my door getting the truck. I explained that wasn't how you close a door on a vehicle. We went to a food joint and had a good meal with plans to go to a movie. Unfortunately as we got back in the truck she slammed the door even harder than the first time. I calmly got out and walked around to her door and opened it and told her to come back here I've got something to show you. We walk to the tailgate and I open it and explain to her that she can sit anywhere in the bed on her way home. She laughed until I locked and closed the passenger door. 15 miles to her house at 55 degrees didn't earn me even a goodbye.? It's been over 25 years and people still bring up that mess.

GP you sposed to open the door for her.:bounce:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
How about taking a guy Turkey hunting on a prime place. You ease out of the truck, being as quite as you can, and he gets out and slams the door.

NOYDB

BANNED
I guess I am too gentle with my vehicles. My Doors were in alignment when I bought them and were for years after that. The several hundred cars I traded and sold never needed repairs either. When I wrote service between myself and the writers beside me we must have wrote service on several thousand vehicles between us. Never saw a ticket written to realign the doors.

I have seen vehicles in the body shop after a fender bender get panels all around a vehicle realigned. And not always in a straight line of it being hit. But not from a door being opened or closed too hard.

But about the other part of the OP.

Your truck, you giving a ride as a favor, your rules. You didn't require anything difficult to do. Time required within a second or fraction thereof. Effort required minimal or none. But based on what was posted, I would have gotten him to the final destination and then never invited him again. I'd say hey and wave, but that would be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.