Weekly catch thread 1/31

2dye4

Got a beaver job set up this afternoon. Had to pull most of my water traps from the other place to make it happen, but left one just in case. 7 traps set so hopefully this rain will make the beavers move. I’ll probably get skunked. The guys driveway goes between three ponds and there is one spot where there is a trail of mud going across the asphalt. Just need a smidge of luck and some beavers that don’t mind sticking their heads in tiny squares. Really need to order some 280s for these areas
Maybe the water won’t rise too high. Hope you compensated for that.

2dye4

Had a trap fired some time today & something left 2 toes behind in it. Guess it’s my first miss. Hate it. Pretty sure it was a Yote based on the size of the claws & color of the hair☹️
Do you have pictures of the left behind toes? You may have just schooled an already hard to catch predator. Hopefully you’ll get him at some point.

sleepr71

Also where I had coyote yesterday I buried a road kill rabbit that I’d been using a little fur off of maybe in the road near my sets . I completely buried him in the rocks and yep he was gone this morning . This is my all time favorite set , I’ve caught a few here since I started trapping View attachment 1133347
Ant,how do you set traps around all those rocks? I’d worry about a critter rolling rocks down onto my trap & firing it.

sleepr71

Do you have pictures of the left behind toes? You may have just schooled an already hard to catch predator. Hopefully you’ll get him at some point.

I threw ‘em in the back of the truck. I’ll post a pic tomorrow. Just getting in the house?‍?

sportsman94

Maybe the water won’t rise too high. Hope you compensated for that.

They have the smallest pond flooding the banks already. I should have taken pics, but the guys camper is basically surrounded by water with a dam built behind/underneath it. There are two good slides/runs/trails coming into that pond that I have set and there’s another one going from one of the other ponds into a big 15 acre pond. Everything is hopefully set fine even if we get rising water, but we will see tomorrow if that’s the case. I need to set a trap where they are leaving the flooded pond to go into the neighbors, but the bank is a little too steep for me to feel safe doing much over there. May take proceeds from this gig and put them towards better beaver equipment. Especially footholds. I haven’t actively gone after beaver hard in a couple years so I got rid of some of my stuff. Been eyeing the No ** beaver extremes for a few months now

2dye4

They have the smallest pond flooding the banks already. I should have taken pics, but the guys camper is basically surrounded by water with a dam built behind/underneath it. There are two good slides/runs/trails coming into that pond that I have set and there’s another one going from one of the other ponds into a big 15 acre pond. Everything is hopefully set fine even if we get rising water, but we will see tomorrow if that’s the case. I need to set a trap where they are leaving the flooded pond to go into the neighbors, but the bank is a little too steep for me to feel safe doing much over there. May take proceeds from this gig and put them towards better beaver equipment. Especially footholds. I haven’t actively gone after beaver hard in a couple years so I got rid of some of my stuff. Been eyeing the No ** beaver extremes for a few months now
Sounds like conibears and snares are your best friends!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Ant,how do you set traps around all those rocks? I’d worry about a critter rolling rocks down onto my trap & firing it.
I’m not sure , the rocks were piled up there by a farmer many years ago I’m sure . But for some reason that spot pays off for me . I’ve got a trap on both sides of this spot now that hasn’t been touched . You probably jinxed me , I’ll probably have a rock in my trap in the morning lol

Doug B.

Sounds like you got a great place to be successful! I'm looking forward to seeing the catch pictures!

Let us know your thoughts on the No ** Beaver Extremes. It looks like a really nice trap!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Well all my traps were pretty much washed up this morning . Gonna regroup in a few days and get after em again . It’s gonna take a few days for this 3’ of rain plus more coming to dry up a little . Had a decent 4 nights , ended this morning with a pretty young ill wet bobcat . I’m getting better at catch and release . I caught her on a set near some old hay bales where I could see a lot of digging signs around them I’m assuming looking for rats . B8B0EDB8-07C9-423D-98A3-60066F016298.jpeg

Doug B.

Well all my traps were pretty much washed up this morning . Gonna regroup in a few days and get after em again . It’s gonna take a few days for this 3’ of rain plus more coming to dry up a little . Had a decent 4 nights , ended this morning with a pretty young ill wet bobcat . I’m getting better at catch and release . I caught her on a set near some old hay bales where I could see a lot of digging signs around them I’m assuming looking for rats . View attachment 1133560
Another nice catch!

sportsman94

Might be. I told all the neighbors I’d be trapping. Nearest house is 300 yds from this trap…?

300 yards or 3 miles won’t stop them. Was in a hunting club and caught a neighbors dog who happened to be a member. He was furious I had traps set a couple hundred yards from his house. Either that same night or the next night I caught another one of his dogs over a mile away. I was still to blame of course.

2dye4

300 yards or 3 miles won’t stop them. Was in a hunting club and caught a neighbors dog who happened to be a member. He was furious I had traps set a couple hundred yards from his house. Either that same night or the next night I caught another one of his dogs over a mile away. I was still to blame of course.
You may want to install COYOTE ONLY signs next to your traps. ???