What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whit90

All I've done is day dream while I work. I will be starting my journey for my first bear this year and am pretty excited. I wont have as much hunting time due to my first son being born the first of this year, but Ill get out there a good bit.

Have you guys done anything bear related lately, or do yall wait until the season gets closer? I am going to try to get out and put some cameras out in the next couple of weeks and let them soak for a while just to see what I can start finding them.

Need to start shooting my bow too.

Joe Brandon

All I've done is day dream while I work. I will be starting my journey for my first bear this year and am pretty excited. I wont have as much hunting time due to my first son being born the first of this year, but Ill get out there a good bit.

Have you guys done anything bear related lately, or do yall wait until the season gets closer? I am going to try to get out and put some cameras out in the next couple of weeks and let them soak for a while just to see what I can start finding them.

Need to start shooting my bow too.
I shoot the bow, shoot the rifle, thats about it. When its time to hit the woods, I pull my info and go.

Whit90

I shoot the bow, shoot the rifle, thats about it. When its time to hit the woods, I pull my info and go.

Sounds about right. Ive got to say, the thought of finding a bear on 700,000 + acers is a little overwhelming. I am gong to try to get in the woods as much as I can before season.

Joe Brandon

Sounds about right. Ive got to say, the thought of finding a bear on 700,000 + acers is a little overwhelming. I am gong to try to get in the woods as much as I can before season.
Its not going to be as difficult as you may think. I made some mistakes early on, one of which was getting burned out in August and Sep. Find food sources, white oaks, if they are scant in production hunt food plots. You can do this! Most of all have fun. Took me 5 years of focused bear hunting to shoot my first but man has it been a fun journey!!!

Bought bear guards for trail cams.

Whit90

Its not going to be as difficult as you may think. I made some mistakes early on, one of which was getting burned out in August and Sep. Find food sources, white oaks, if they are scant in production hunt food plots. You can do this! Most of all have fun. Took me 5 years of focused bear hunting to shoot my first but man has it been a fun journey!!!

Good advise. I am not expecting to kill one quickly. I know there will be a learning curve. Might get lucky though! Looking forward to chasing a new species as well as eating a new species .

Whit90

Good luck this year. Bear Hunting can become an addiction. I’ve come to enjoy the scouting and preparation as much as the hunting. I will be up again this weekend to see what’s on top of that next ridge.

"I wonder whats on the next ridge.", or " I wonder whats around the corner." always makes my scouting trips way longer than expected!

I may be donating my tasco cams to the bears this year...

These are cell cams, so I am not sure the antenna will make it. They are Reveal so I'm not out a bunch of money if they are broken. If they do rip off the antenna I bet the company can repair them at a fair price.

splatek

UAEC
These are cell cams, so I am not sure the antenna will make it. They are Reveal so I'm not out a bunch of money if they are broken. If they do rip off the antenna I bet the company can repair them at a fair price.

Expect to lose antenna
Last season I lost antenna on three - all were steel boxed, but the antenna doesn't get any protection. One was on a spot that felt right. Anyhow, I didn't hunt that spot opening day - if you remember it rained like crazy and I found some fresh sign to hunt elsewhere, that didn't actually turn anything up except two box turtles and a dozen turkeys. So the second day of season was good weather, i hiked in checked the cam, having known the antenna was busted off, because I abruptly stopped receiving pictures. Bears had been frequenting the spot for about two weeks off and on; no pics on opening day so I felt maybe they got pressured out. Then about 1:30 or so I hear crunch crunch coming up over the ridge and there he is. About a 350#er. Every dang pic was of bear walking this very well laid out bear trail to my right, I mean it was wore out. So I set up in the tree to make that shot with my recurve. This bear was doing the same thing... then changed directions. He was three steps from a perfect broadside shot. When I moved around the tree, came to full draw, something happened (likely the wind) and he bolted. I was at full draw about the loose the arrow when he took off. Bear fever trumps buck fever in my mind.

Anyhow long story short, you're likely going to lose some antenna if there are bears in the area. My ten year old found one the other day rummaging through my crap and found one that had bite marks and holes through the antenna. They sell replacement antenna that are actually more powerful on amazon. They've been working pretty good lately. Bears are really curious or don't like the paparazzi on them... LOL

Expect to lose antenna
Last season I lost antenna on three - all were steel boxed, but the antenna doesn't get any protection. One was on a spot that felt right. Anyhow, I didn't hunt that spot opening day - if you remember it rained like crazy and I found some fresh sign to hunt elsewhere, that didn't actually turn anything up except two box turtles and a dozen turkeys. So the second day of season was good weather, i hiked in checked the cam, having known the antenna was busted off, because I abruptly stopped receiving pictures. Bears had been frequenting the spot for about two weeks off and on; no pics on opening day so I felt maybe they got pressured out. Then about 1:30 or so I hear crunch crunch coming up over the ridge and there he is. About a 350#er. Every dang pic was of bear walking this very well laid out bear trail to my right, I mean it was wore out. So I set up in the tree to make that shot with my recurve. This bear was doing the same thing... then changed directions. He was three steps from a perfect broadside shot. When I moved around the tree, came to full draw, something happened (likely the wind) and he bolted. I was at full draw about the loose the arrow when he took off. Bear fever trumps buck fever in my mind.

Anyhow long story short, you're likely going to lose some antenna if there are bears in the area. My ten year old found one the other day rummaging through my crap and found one that had bite marks and holes through the antenna. They sell replacement antenna that are actually more powerful on amazon. They've been working pretty good lately. Bears are really curious or don't like the paparazzi on them... LOL

I kind of figured that would happen. Yep, it rained! I was 2 miles in trying to hide under a fallen down tree and waited for it to stop. Had a coyote walk up to me to check me out. I'm just looking forward to get back out and scouting a few areas next month.

whitetailfreak

I went to the Sumach creek shooting range this morning and then looked at a few holes here close to the house. I guess I've seen 25 or 30 bears this spring.

jbogg

I kind of figured that would happen. Yep, it rained! I was 2 miles in trying to hide under a fallen down tree and waited for it to stop. Had a coyote walk up to me to check me out. I'm just looking forward to get back out and scouting a few areas next month.

I missed opening day last year after trying to put my eye out with a limb tip the day before. My hunting pards returned at the end of opening day looking like drowned rats.

I saw two big ones this time last year at Unicoi State Park, right next to the entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.