What food is next?

Bubba_1122

I have several large beautyberry plants in my back yard that have a browse line on them from the deer eating the leaves (my wife also has hydrangeas in big pots on the back patio that the deer wear out at certain times - it aggravates her).

Where I've hunted the past few sits is an open oak flat just off the edge of a cotton field. The flat has acorns falling and is filled with beauty berry bushes (it's also a funnel from a bedding area).

oldfella1962

I think I have a good spot I'm headed to after work - four kinds of oak trees (guarantee at least one species is dropping!) and about a dozen loaded persimmon trees. Factor in I have the prevailing wind in my favor and no thermals to worry about because it's in a flat area. Another scent factor in my favor is it's adjacent to a big fenced in compound filled with human sounds & smells during the day.

The only down side is sometimes when the deer show up they show up in full force several at a time so you have all eyes/noses on you and good luck hiding your movements.

oldfella1962

UPDATE! Work is slow and I might have to leave early and burn some vacation time - what a day to have all my hunting gear packed & ready to go! :cool:
Now I can hunt one of my mid-day spots and go to my after work spot later on.
This sounds too good to be true - it must be a trap! :cautious:

280 Man

Banned
More questions from the newbie, but what about after the acorns? There are no plots or piles where I hunt. I have already seen the greenbriers buffet end(got lots a tc photos on them) and I always seem to miss the rut, so what food sources am I looking for in late season? Will the acorns last til January?

Here's some beautyberry..

beautyberry.jpg

oldfella1962

more acorn info for bfriendly: if you hunt south of the "fall line" where Darlington and Sand Laurel oaks grow, they keep their acorns all season. Bluejack oaks keep them a long time too. All these generally grow in sandy dry open areas. The acorns are small, like water oak but deer love them probably because of the sheer numbers of acorns the trees produce. I like hunting sand hills in late season.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
agree about finding squirrels & finding deer! The only wild card in that theory is hickory trees, where as far as I know deer don't eat hickory nuts, but I could be wrong.

I've sat there and watched them eat hickory nuts like it's going out of style. I didn't believe they ate them either until I saw them do it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I've sat there and watched them eat hickory nuts like it's going out of style. I didn't believe they ate them either until I saw them do it.
Really? I gots LOTS of those! I gotta take my heavy Binos and try to look in the trees To see if there are acorns in some of these giant trees I’m finding......I can see the hickories pretty good.

Y’all have no idea how much I appreciate your input. I look at the same woods I have walked in for many years, completely different than I used to. I’m

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I think hillbilly say this was a mocker nut hickory ....I’ve eaten them. Good but a lot of work and not much meat. Still, it’d make sense that deer would eat this..
D766DA8A-9B12-4AD7-939A-E8518BCEADBB.jpeg

oldfella1962

I think a few years ago I read (probably on this forum) that there are different types of hickory nuts and that deer will eat some types but not others. I know where quite a few of the small green ones are in my hunting area. I might pay closer attention to what's going on with them!

hambone76

I need some Binos cause I am having a real hard time Seeing acorns up in the trees.

If a White Oak is loaded down heavily, the branches will all be pointing down at the ground. Some branches might also be broken if they’re full of acorns.
Those are visible clues that you will not need binos for.

Last edited:

slow motion

A lot of good advice already given. Especially anything green. Let me add mushrooms. Always seem to find them late season in the pines.

Wifeshusband

Georgia Afield just put out an article on Five Foods every deer hunter should know: After 47 seasons of deer hunting- I got 2 out 5: And they are:
1. Greenbrier (over a dozen varieties - shows up as a weed in my yard)
2. Bramble or Berry Bush leaves
3. Muscadine berries and the leaves
4. Ragweed (The Deer will never be able to eat enough of this to help us)
5. Poison Ivey (Who would have thunk it)
And some of you want to spoil that gourmet with cheap field corn