What happens when High Fence hunting and Deer farming are allowed in GA?????

Allen Waters

December 30,2011

The Missouri Department of Agriculture is finalizing a depopulation and management plan for an approximately 3,000 acre captive wildlife hunting facility in northern Missouri following two positive tests for Chronic Wasting Disease. The facility, operated by Heartland Wildlife Ranches, LLC, is home to white-tail deer, elk and red deer.

The plan includes a requirement to depopulate and test all remaining animals for CWD, as well as restrictions on the future movement of animals into the facility. The plan follows multiple positive CWD tests indentified through random surveillance and extends the facility's current quarantine until all animals have been depopulated and tested for the disease.

In October, MDA received results from the USDA National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa indicating that a captive white-tail deer harvested in the Macon County facility tested positive for CWD. The animal that tested positive was inspected as part of the State's CWD surveillance and testing program. A second positive test result on a captive white-tail deer within the same facility was verified late this week.

Date: January 24, 2012
Source: Missouri Department of Conservation

Contacts:
Missouri Department of Conservation

Two positive results for Chronic Wasting Disease are first for free-ranging deer in Missouri.

JEFFERSON CITY Mo – The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) received two positive test results for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) from 1,077 tissue samples taken from free-ranging deer harvested by hunters in north-central Missouri during the 2011 fall firearms deer season. Both positive test results were from adult bucks harvested by Missouri hunters in Macon County, and are the first CWD-positive results for free-ranging deer in Missouri.

MDC plans to obtain more tissue samples for CWD testing by harvesting additional deer in the immediate area where the two infected deer were harvested.

“Teamwork among landowners, hunters and MDC staff allowed us to detect this infection early,” said MDC Deer Biologist Jason Sumners. “We will be working with local landowners to harvest additional deer for tissue sampling. This is a first step and one of our best hopes for containing, and perhaps even eliminating, what we believe to be a recent localized event.”

MDC staff have contacted the two Missouri hunters who harvested the CWD-positive bucks to inform them of the situation and answer questions.

The State's CWD Contingency Plan was developed in 2002 and revised in 2003 by the Cervid Health Committee, a task force comprised of industry representatives, veterinarians and staff from the departments of Agriculture, Conservation and Health and Senior Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

In February 2010 a case of CWD was confirmed in Linn County on a captive hunting preserve operated by the same entity, Heartland Wildlife Ranches, LLC. The Linn County facility was depopulated and no further infection was identified at that facility.

CWD is transmitted by live animal to animal contact or soil to animal contact. The disease was first recognized in 1967 in captive mule deer in the Colorado Division of Wildlife captive wildlife research facility in Fort Collins, Colorado. CWD has been documented in deer and/or elk in Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and the Canadian Provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Last edited:

Allen Waters

Understand that the first two documented cases of CWD in free ranging Deer, in Missouri, have been documented within the same county as a Deer farm infected with CWD.

The fix here is to completely depopulate the high fenced operation.

And if your in the general area..... and more free range deer test positive.... the state will call open season and try to remove as many deer as possible from the free ranging herd in that area.

How'd you like that to be Georgia and your area????????

CAL

That is a giant list of known infections.It is hard to not know it is already here.It is proven to be in Virginia, very close.With our hunting regulations and legal limits, probably won't be any deer to infect in time. Think about it!

Doe Master

Banned
Understand that the first two documented cases of CWD in free ranging Deer, in Missouri, have been documented within the same county as a Deer farm infected with CWD.

And if your in the general area..... and more free range deer test positive.... the state will call open season and try to remove as many deer as possible from the free ranging herd in that area.

They can't kill all the deer in the wild heck GA Hunters can't kill the legal limits they have now much less wipe the population out. Look and you will find planty of threads about not seeing the deer anymore. :bounce:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
A friend of mine that lives north of Fort Collins, CO told me stories of the Div. of Wildlife coming in a wiping out the mule deer population back in the 80's there because of a few cases of CWD. He said they brought in police sharpshooters from all around and were hauling deer carcasses out in dump trucks. He's got a huge mule bow buck on his wall he harvested in their corn field when he was 14, and he said that was the last buck he saw for almost 10 years. They are coming back slowly, but still no where as prolific as they were before they wiped them out.

Sad part is, of the several thousand deer they euthanized, they only came up with two or three additional CWD positives.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
But I thought we were assured by you know who that they wouldn't bring CWD infected deer into their pen?

(sarcasm)

T

Jeff Phillips

They can't kill all the deer in the wild heck GA Hunters can't kill the legal limits they have now much less wipe the population out. Look and you will find planty of threads about not seeing the deer anymore. :bounce:

Really? It has happened before and it can happen again...

BowChilling

You got that right Jeff! Folks don't realize how many deer you can kill when you have hired guns shooting them day and night! They may not kill'em all but i wouldn't want them patroling my hunting land.

mtr3333

Banned

Apparently some are not to worried until it happens on their land.

We are creatures of habit. And some people refuse to help their chances.;)

The way the breeders smuggle deer from all over the country it is simply a matter of time.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-texas-deer-20120129,0,7450496.story

Must be propaganda, huh?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Must be propaganda, huh?

USDA has made an offer of indeminification to the deer farm & high fence shooting pen owner. The owner declined the offer so USDA is "making adjustments" its offer in hopes the next offer will be accepted. Yet, another Government Bailout with taxpayers dollars! Further, now hunter dollars (your public funds) will be used to manage the mess this operation has given to Missouri.

Interestingly, this operation is up for sale by the owner for $16.5 million, but the price has been recently reduced by $5 million. (http://www.landbrokermls.com/Propert...Wildlife-Ranch)

Poor, poor feller jest wanted to make an "honest" living!:rolleyes:

mtr3333

Banned
USDA has made an offer of indeminification to the deer farm & high fence shooting pen owner. The owner declined the offer so USDA is "making adjustments" its offer in hopes the next offer will be accepted. Yet, another Government Bailout with taxpayers dollars! Further, now hunter dollars (your public funds) will be used to manage the mess this operation has given to Missouri.

Interestingly, this operation is up for sale by the owner for $16.5 million, but the price has been recently reduced by $5 million. (http://www.landbrokermls.com/Propert...Wildlife-Ranch)

Poor, poor feller jest wanted to make an "honest" living!:rolleyes:
What happened to selling semen samples at $35K? I didn't get the land amount. But that USDA adjustment really changes the "honest" part of the whole thing.

Hunting experience and the protection of our native species should trump USDA adjustments.

I wonder how many of these farms with concentrations "rotate" high use areas or buffer the natural fauna and flora within their boundaries. Or is that the responsibilty of someone else? To me, CWD is only a fraction of the potential ecosystem challenge. But, then again, there were some in favor of blasting water cannons at the hillside to get after minerals. :huh:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
What happened to selling semen samples at $35K? I didn't get the land amount. But that USDA adjustment really changes the "honest" part of the whole thing.

Hunting experience and the protection of our native species should trump USDA adjustments.

I wonder how many of these farms with concentrations "rotate" high use areas or buffer the natural fauna and flora within their boundaries. Or is that the responsibilty of someone else? To me, CWD is only a fraction of the potential ecosystem challenge. But, then again, there were some in favor of blasting water cannons at the hillside to get after minerals. :huh:

why do you hate freedom and liberty and the constitution?

T

killa86

I was originally of the opinion that farming was a profitable way for a landowner to utilize his land Now my mind has been changed. When their decisions have negative effects on adjoining lands which seems to be the case that becomes a problem.

Allen Waters

I was originally of the opinion that farming was a profitable way for a landowner to utilize his land Now my mind has been changed. When their decisions have negative effects on adjoining lands which seems to be the case that becomes a problem.

:fine: One at a time... I'll take them one at a time. Thank you sir!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Imagine you are the property owner right next door to a deer breeding operation where CWD is detected. What is your property worth now?

Allen Waters

Imagine you are the property owner right next door to a deer breeding operation where CWD is detected. What is your property worth now?

There would be alot of:shoot::shoot:

and I would be :cry:

Because all the years of hard work me and all my friends put into managing a property would be GONE!!!!

Because someone was allowed to get rich off Deer Farming at the detriment of their neighbors!:mad:

JBowers

profitable is a platitude. Just remember you can have total expenses of $750,000 and total sales of $755,000 for a net profit of $5,000. Not a lot but the operation is profitable!

Many will be profitable and a few might even get rich - whatever that means! However, most will not get rich because they entered at the bottom of the pyramid!

Last edited:

Doe Master

Banned

Please show me what state all the deer were killed in and how it was proven they were all dead. Just for the record the little yellow guy at the end means it was a joke ;).

But still post up the facts about what state every deer was killed off in and how they proved every deer was dead and gone in the whole state.