What happens when High Fence hunting and Deer farming are allowed in GA?????

Jeff Phillips

Please show me what state all the deer were killed in and how it was proven they were all dead. Just for the record the little yellow guy at the end means it was a joke ;).

But still post up the facts about what state every deer was killed off in and how they proved every deer was dead and gone in the whole state.

Do a little bit of study for yourself on the restoration of the deer herd in Georgia. In 1900 the only deer left in Georgia were on private islands off the coast.

Our "Georgia" deer herd comes from deer purchased from other states after the deer were wiped out.

Lot's of sources available but here is a start:

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/site...ssets/Documents/Deer Restocking_1928-1974.pdf

JBowers

Not to derail or detract from the thread, but a little clarification is appropriate. All deer were not extirpated in the State of Georgia prior to restocking of deer. A majority of the deer stocked in Georgia were captured from the barrier islands and released at various sites across Georgia.

The restocking report is available here: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sites..._1928-1974.pdf

If there is a desire to discuss the restocking effort then a separate thread would be appropriate.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was originally of the opinion that farming was a profitable way for a landowner to utilize his land Now my mind has been changed. When their decisions have negative effects on adjoining lands which seems to be the case that becomes a problem.
Killa you hunt within a few miles of a deer farm don't you!!!::ke:::ke::bounce:..........I would be worried as well!!:smash:

Allen Waters

Bump, decided to retitle so maybe a few more folks will read.

AND realize the implications of allowing high fence hunting and deer farming here in GA.

I am sure the great folks of Missouri originally never imagined they would be faced with this today. Might be worth following along and trying to keep up with the long term cost and effect on Missouri tax payers, landowners, wildlife, and sportsmen. SOmething to think about.

These practices only benefit a small group. But hen something like this happens it has long reaching affects. Like it affects neighbors. GET IT! Folks that are free to do as they please on their own land are now causing harm to many, many neighbors, and Surrounding wildlife. Not a hard decision to decide what would be good for Ga.

Doe Master

Banned
Do a little bit of study for yourself on the restoration of the deer herd in Georgia. In 1900 the only deer left in Georgia were on private islands off the coast.

Our "Georgia" deer herd comes from deer purchased from other states after the deer were wiped out.

Lot's of sources available but here is a start:

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/site...ssets/Documents/Deer Restocking_1928-1974.pdf

Nice twist your trying to spin on it. Compare apples to apples.

The Georgia herd wasn't wiped out by hunters or sharp shooters because of a disease years ago like were talking about today.

Again I'll ask you to show me a state that has had this disease CWD everyone is talking about that has had to step in and take out the entire herd in the state because of a few or even several infected deer. I'm not doing the research for you you are the one that made the original statement not me.

Like I said my original post was said as more of a joke but since youre wanting to go there i'll be standing by waiting.

Toxic

If it was that bad every were it would be outlawed....jeeze . personal animosity towards high fence operations is just whining and crying. Unless you live right next to the fence (were it would funnel deer away from you), the likely hood of it effecting your hunting is slim. I personally don't care about it. what we would see is a SLIGHT decline in hunt club memberships because guys would save and spend that money on the high fence operation. that just means more deer opportunities for me ( the important one)

mtr3333

Banned
If it was that bad every were it would be outlawed....jeeze . personal animosity towards high fence operations is just whining and crying. Unless you live right next to the fence (were it would funnel deer away from you), the likely hood of it effecting your hunting is slim. I personally don't care about it. what we would see is a SLIGHT decline in hunt club memberships because guys would save and spend that money on the high fence operation. that just means more deer opportunities for me ( the important one)

Let me see if I understood you correctly.

If it were not a problem anywhere, there would be no need for concern... sheesh. personal animosity towards people with sincere concern for our deer as a resource is just whining and crying. Unless you live under a rock(where the light of truth never shines on you), understanding the potential cannot be ignored. I personally care about the health of our herd. What we would see is a decline in memberships because more educated people would have fewer hunting opportunities when CWD is found in Georgia.

Really the only thing you described in your original statement is an economic shift rather than growth at best. Once CWD is in GA there will definitely be an economic decline and fewer opportunities for outdoorsmen in this great State.

Last edited:

Forest Grump

It IS outlawed. Transport of cervids into the state is outlawed precisely because of CWD. When exotic deer & elk were allowed to be imported years ago, a second law was rapidly passed to prevent further importation to keep CWD out. The sole reason more has not been done nationally to contain this disease to its origin point is ignorance & naïveté on the part of politicians, who have been more concerned with business than biology. Politicians are well established to ignore problems until they become disasters then point fingers in every direction blaming anybody in sight that's not them.

What is it you plan to hunt on your hunting club, after you let captive breeders bring CWD into your area & the state quarantines and depopulates your county to try to stop its spread. There will be no deer to hunt, maybe you can take up squirrel hunting?

If these people who are gonna "save up to go on a high fence hunt" can afford to pay 10, 20 or 100,000 $ to shoot a ranched deer, they can already afford a ticket & 2 days off to go to one.

Toxic

OK let me see, if it is outlawed in this state why are we wasting our time talking about it ? I basically was asking if it was so bad everywhere else(CWD) at these high fence operations, why are they alive and well and may I say doing very well. If they were all causing the CWD problems stated they would not be open for business. when one tends to post about thing they don't like they tend to put a lot of emphasis on the negatives and never shine the light on the positives. So when you post one sided you get one sided responses.

dtala

"We" are talking about it because some folks are trying to get "deer farms" legalized in Georgia.

You apparently have't read all of the posts or you would know that deer farmers/breeders have been responsible for most of the movement of CWD across the country, especially in the last ten to twenty years.

People HAVE caused ALL the CWD problems across the country, with the exception of the endemic area around Ft Collins COlorado.

no deer farms/breeders=no need to import live deer(illegal) but we all know making bank robbery illegal never stopped it. So some folks don't want to allow deer breeding/farming in Georgia....

So, if ya don't mind, give us one, er two good points to CWD.....

troy

Toxic

so your saying if we do away with deer frams CWD will go away ? I don't care about deer farming in high fence areas, I do it with wild ones, but if they want to leave they can.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
so your saying if we do away with deer frams CWD will go away ? I don't care about deer farming in high fence areas, I do it with wild ones, but if they want to leave they can.

he's saying why open the door for it to come here legally......

T

dtala

even if Ga allows deer farms and makes importation of live deer illegal..someone, somewhere WILL import live deer from northern stock. It happens everywhere it is illegal.

It is less likely to happen if there are no deer breeding facilities/deer farms/high fence places. Most, not all, hunters are smart enough by now not to buy northern deer and turn em loose on their hunting club.

You do know that bringing deer illegally into any state is not only violation of state law but violates the Federal Lacy Act, which can go to tens of thousands of dollars in fines.

But some folks still do it....:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Doe Master

Banned
even if Ga allows deer farms and makes importation of live deer illegal..someone, somewhere WILL import live deer from northern stock. It happens everywhere it is illegal.

It is less likely to happen if there are no deer breeding facilities/deer farms/high fence places. Most, not all, hunters are smart enough by now not to buy northern deer and turn em loose on their hunting club.

You do know that bringing deer illegally into any state is not only violation of state law but violates the Federal Lacy Act, which can go to tens of thousands of dollars in fines.

But some folks still do it....:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Sort of like speeding you know 56 in a 55 zone or driving after you have had several drinks right? Both are against the law yet many seem to break them daily.:rolleyes::crazy:

Allen Waters

Here's an article about a rogue Elk escaped from a high fence. It went on a multi-state tour, possibly spreading who knows what (CWD?) maybe. who knows.....

When someone in government does something stupid or embarrassing, the silence from official sources can be tomb-like.

Case in point? Let's call it "The Saga of the Wandering Elk."

Sometime last year, a bull elk escaped from a Greene Co., Pa., captive cervid facility and strolled across the Mason-Dixon line into Wetzel Co., W.Va.

It stayed there for a while, wandered back to Pennsylvania through the holidays, and recently turned up in Marshall County, W.Va., where it has become somewhat of a celebrity.

State wildlife officials are worried, and one can hardly blame them for their concern.

Elk can carry chronic wasting disease, bovine tuberculosis and brucellosis. The former kills elk, mule deer and white-tailed deer, and the latter two kill cattle.

Captive cervid facilities - places where deer and/or elk are kept behind tall fences and sold for their meat or shot for their antlers by wealthy people - are notorious incubators for chronic wasting disease.

Recent CWD outbreaks in Minnesota and Missouri wild deer were traced directly to captive cervid facilities. Division of Natural Resources officials worry that the footloose elk might also be diseased, and that it might infect local deer or cattle.

Marshall County isn't exactly an agricultural hotspot, so the chance of spreading brucellosis or bovine tuberculosis is small. On the other hand, Marshall is home to one of West Virginia's most highly concentrated deer populations. If chronic wasting disease gets started there, it could easily spread into the Northern Panhandle and down the entire Ohio Valley.

To prevent such a possibility, DNR officials would like to shoot the elk. They haven't come out and said they would, but they issued a news release that strongly implied it.

Big mistake. Local citizens rallied around the elk. They took to Facebook and other social media to lobby on the creature's behalf.

It's an election year. The Legislature is in session. The last thing politicians want to do is to offend prospective voters.

So right now, DNR officials have been told not to pull the trigger. They also are forbidden from divulging which politico issued the stay of execution. In fact, they can't comment about the elk at all.

More than a week ago, I called a DNR official and inquired about the critter's status, and was told that all questions should be referred to Hoy Murphy, the agency's public relations person.

I called Murphy. He wasn't in, so I left a message on his voice mail. Shortly thereafter, I received the following e-mail:

"I'm sorry, but I've been told to put all media communications on hold for now. Things have been changing too fast for anyone to keep up, and they figure it's better to have no response than to send out a response that may be outdated by the time it sees print. I promise I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

Not to pick on Murphy, who is a good egg, but there aren't many things that could change "too fast for anyone to keep up." Either DNR sharpshooters are allowed to kill the elk or they aren't.

There's some question as to whether the elk can be killed on private property without the landowner's permission, but again that's an either-or situation.

My personal guess is that the only thing that's rapidly changing is the potential for northern West Virginia's deer to have a CWD outbreak.

Should that happen, deer hunters should move heaven and earth to find out which politician prevented the DNR from doing something that's clearly within its authority to do.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
the high fence hawking people probably bought ostrich eggs for thousands each back in the 90's too.

T