What is a "Crust Ring"?

Madman

I have been using a product to clean and lubricate all types of metal products for years and I let a friend have some. He began using it on his black powder guns and claimed it "greatly reduced the crust ring and made them easier to clean". What exactly is a "crust ring"?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:huh: I would guess he's talking about the area around where the powder load is packed next to the breech plug that tends to foul up a lot?

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
If that product is petroleum based, I would say he's on the wrong track. Water based cleaners and solvents only in MLs...

280 Man

Banned
I have been using a product to clean and lubricate all types of metal products for years and I let a friend have some. He began using it on his black powder guns and claimed it "greatly reduced the crust ring and made them easier to clean". What exactly is a "crust ring"?

It's actually called a "crud ring". It is fouling that is produced by the burning powder and is really compounded by the use of 209 primers! Crud rings can cause very hard loading and will eventually keep you from loading another round if not dealt with.

I use BlackHorn 209 powder and CCI 209M primers and have no issues whatsoever with the crud ring. However, when I used other powder such as 777, Pyrodex, I would have the issue an I always took a wet cotton patch and T/C no 13 or T 17, run it down the barrel and then scrub the crud ring with a nylon brush. It comes right out.

Madman

It's actually called a "crud ring". It is fouling that is produced by the burning powder and is really compounded by the use of 209 primers! Crud rings can cause very hard loading and will eventually keep you from loading another round if not dealt with.

I use BlackHorn 209 powder and CCI 209M primers and have no issues whatsoever with the crud ring. However, when I used other powder such as 777, Pyrodex, I would have the issue an I always took a wet cotton patch and T/C no 13 or T 17, run it down the barrel and then scrub the crud ring with a nylon brush. It comes right out.
Thanks. No wonder I couldn't find it when I tried looking it up.

Todd Cook

I think a lot of that crud is created by the substitute powders. I shoot only Kik or Goex in mine( percussion and flint) and clean with hot soapy water. After it's dry I run a tiny bit of olive oil down the barrel on a patch. I've never had any kind of build up.